• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why variable rate of fire on tripod mounted MG34?

Atomskytten

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2006
Have you noticed that the MG34 on the tripod is of the production type exterior but of pre-production variant 1 & 2 functions with variable rates of fire so when you press '6' you can switch between 8-900 rpm and a rate of fire at about 500 rpm?
Don't really understand why that option was included as the lower rate of fire was ment for conserving ammunition and as the ammo for the tripod mounted weapons are infinite what is the point of a variable rate of fire anyway?

Also production of the variable rate of fire MG34s, of which there were two pre-production variants ended in 1936 and there was made 300 of the first variant plus 2000 of the second variant for a grand total of 2300 pre-production MG34 with the capacity for variable rates of fire. The possibility of any one of those two pre-production weapons making it into the battle of Stalingrad is even more unlikely than the Mkb ever being there.

Reactions: Vegard
I don't know about whether or not the MG-34 with select-fire was in Stalingrad, and I don't really care. What miffs me if TWI's way to go about things. Ramm has stated that unless someone can prove a given weapon "wasn't there", you could realistically have it in Stalingrad. The problem is, that's a pretty absurd statement to make, as you can't reliably prove negatives. It's the same kind of argumentative bad-faith as saying that unless you can prove unicorns were beyond doubt NOT in Stalingrad, it's "realistic" to have them in the game.

I wish people gave TWI a tad more **** for the fact they claimed possession of evidence of the Mkb being there, evidence which apparently eludes thorough google searching and possibly a military historian's best guess. The community pressed for it and they, hilariously, said they had lost it. Let's let it go, RO2 is meant to be selectively realistic, not all-out.

---

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not the question if it was there, but if it was there in so many numbers presented in-game. 1 out of 64 seems plausible, but not 6 and every other person who grabs it after they die.

The numbers of AVT seems plausible though because it's literally just a SVT-40 that has had its trigger group modified from semi to full-auto which any gunsmith could do. It's not like the MKB which is a completely new weapon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No it doesn't. 1 in 64000 maybe could be squinted upon and grudgingly accepted.

If that - We're making up odds for something lacking any sort of favorable indication it ever happened.

The real reason the MkB is in is fanservice. It's one of the german weapons people like the most from other WW2 games, and a lot of people recognize "the StG" right away.

---

Upvote 0
The numbers of AVT seems plausible though because it's literally just a SVT-40 that has had its trigger group modified from semi to full-auto which any gunsmith could do.

There are other differences. The most significant being a completely different stock material, and an extra recess for the safety.

Birch SVT-40 stocks didn't last long under the pressures of full-auto. AVT stocks are all hardwood.

Upvote 0
There was a thread about this some time ago. I grudgingly accepted it since I found some very obscure info that there were some models with indeed changeable ROF. But only 2300 were produced you say? Hmm... Not what I call likely to be found at the frontlines.

The Maxim has that as well. I do not know if there is even such an option for that Mg in real life, but I doubt it.
What bothers me most is that the ROF-switch replaces the barrel-change. It just breaks my immersion that one cannot fire with the lmg34 without overheating while the same gun mounted on a tripod is unmeltable, one can fire away without pause. Could they not have given us a telescope optic for the mg-34 with the disadvantage of having to change the barrel now and then? And to balance things a ballistic shield for the maxim. That would make the hmg way more useful, I hope that some modders will put that in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0