• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Does anyone use bolt actions any more?

TheRealGunther - Why people do link period with the rest of the text (each next sentence), but don't link separate words in the same manner?

Yarden said:
when alot of people are using autos and semiautos,they actually attack and aren't afraid to rush and take OBJ's, because they know they have weapons with cqc abilities. this is good for those people who play rifleman as well, because when alot of people are attacking you can snipe and kill them much more easily with rifles rather than a game when everyone just camps and hides.
You have wrong idea how to play rifleman. It's not about camping and hiding (such people are just poor teamplayers). To play as a rifleman is to give long range fire support. You cover windows/openings/certain areas at a distance and let CQC guys to do their job. Without you they are less likely to get their chance to kill somebody. It's very important part of the game.

Problem is that most of the people have no idea how to play - I saw assault teams trying to shoot at a large distances, riflemen getting into cap zones first, even ahead of assault troops, MG'ers going alone, without any support, commanders and squad leaders not using smoke and telling their guys what to do, etc...

We need to educate many people first.

Edit: Sorry, I've no idea how I overlooked this, =GG= Mr Moe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I pretty much always play bolt action..but if it's a CQC map I'll typically watch for any MG's that happen to be lying around, just to use if someone gets too close. I'm typically always in the objectives and on the front lines but from time to time if I find a good snipe position I'll hag back a bit.

It's a shame though that on most servers you are lucky to see 5 to 8 people using bolt per side. IMO there are just far too many semi & full auto in the selections, but then again it takes skills to be good with a bolt action and most aren't worried about skills just getting high score.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
TheRealGunther - Why people do link period with the rest of the text (each next sentence), but don't link separate words in the same manner?

i fail to see the logic in "more bolts= better game.".
if most of the team will play bolts,even if it's realistic, the game will just be a big lame campfest.

when alot of people are using autos and semiautos,they actually attack and aren't afraid to rush and take OBJ's, because they know they have weapons with cqc abilities. this is good for those people who play rifleman as well, because when alot of people are attacking you can snipe and kill them much more easily with rifles rather than a game when everyone just camps and hides.

You have wrong idea how to play rifleman. It's not about camping and hiding (such people are just poor teamplayers). To play as a rifleman is to give long range fire support. You cover windows/openings/certain areas at a distance and let CQC guys to do their job. Without you they are less likely to get their chance to kill somebody. It's very important part of the game.

Problem is that most of the people have no idea how to play - I saw assault teams trying to shoot at a large distances, riflemen getting into cap zones first, even ahead of assault troops, MG'ers going alone, without any support, commanders and squad leaders not using smoke and telling their guys what to do, etc...

We need to educate many people first.

Uh, just so you know Holy.Death, the owner of the quote in your post is Yarden and not me :D

Upvote 0
This is one of the leveling decisions I really do not understand.

What is wrong with historical TO&E, with a few special weapons for flavour?

The decision manifests itself in game by a lack of bolt action rifles (its not other weapon availability that is the problem, the problem is that other weapon availability limits the number of bolt action rifles).

A 32 player rifle platoon should have around 24 bolt actions.

You can arguably include a smg squad as an abstraction of special units available in the battle on the russian side (usually) and german side (occasionally), but that would still give 16 bolt action.

I think levelers should think in those terms. First make sure there are a reasonable number of bolt actions, then play around with other weapons in the remaining slots.

Devs oh devs. Why did not some of you argue this view successfully?

Locking down bolt actions first, then dividing candy amongst the remaining slots is really the best way to give an historical flavour, while including toys r us.

Upvote 0
The game could in my opinion change a few things that would make it much better.

1. The Mkb42(H) should be rare hero class weapons. Russians need a new hero class weapon that is superior to the AVT-40. The germans could use a new secondary SMG.

2. The assault class should only unlock after a fixed number of bolt action users is taken. However, maybe the commander could choose to spawn a squad of SMG's as a commander power?

Upvote 0
As I mentioned previously, I do play bolts.

However, I also hang back somewhat rather than charging headfirst into cap points.

Why?

Because there's a very good chance I'll run into 2 or 3 enemies with auto's and get slaughtered, meaning I've done nothing but die and cost my team a ticket.

If there were fewer autos in the game and therefore I'd know I'd be facing enemy bolters, I'd be much more inclined to charge in as it wouldn't be near suicide.

The only real solution I can see is to reduce the assault troop limits by a couple of soldiers and also introduce an Elite Assault for the Mkb/Avt.

Upvote 0
i fail to see the logic in "more bolts= better game.".
if most of the team will play bolts,even if it's realistic, the game will just be a big lame campfest.

I will give this to RO1. Even though I had a lot of things that irked me about it, there wasn't anything quite like the rush of charging an enemy position with a bayonet and getting into hand-to-hand combat with a rifle-armed enemy.

The reason the bolts are hanging back so much now is because the Semis and the SMGs have a clear one-up in CQC. If everyone had to rely on either very accurate shooting or bayoneting in CQC (save for a few assault guys semis, and I mean a few, like 2-3 assaults and 1-2 semis total) then it would be absolutely necessary for people to learn how to attack objectives with a bolt.

As it stands, big bayonet charges don't exist like they did in RO1, as a handful of enemies armed with rapid-fire weapons can cut down the whole group easily.

Upvote 0
2. The assault class should only unlock after a fixed number of bolt action users is taken.

I think this would make for some entertaining forum post reversals. Instead of "I'm being punished because I didn't spend $3000 on my PC" coming from those who find all the (semi) auto classes taken, we'd see oceans of "I'm being punished for getting to class selection first. My fast PC means I deserve those weapons!"

But then again, I often get a bit of enjoyment out of some of the things people complain about.

Reactions: Golf33
Upvote 0
rogame20110924203321699.jpg

The picture says it all. There can be more MKBs than bolt action rifles. :( 6 possible MKB users vs 4 actual riflemen. I thought the number of all class slots except riflemen available on a server should scale with the numer of players per team, whereby the assault class scales upwards faster for the soviet side, so they have more smg troops.

Edit: And yes I know it scales right now too, but there is always enough auto or semi auto weapons, so that is more like balancing all classes and having the riflemen class as an option if you are too hardcore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Historical loadout is a secondary concern for me, I mean, it's interesting and all, but the reason I'd like to see more bolts in game is that it makes the gameplay slower and more realistic. You have to think and make decisions in the midst of battle, you can't just rush blindly around counting on your ability to shoot your way out of a messy situation with a full magazine. Gameplay becomes much more deliberate, you can rush from cover to cover with a greater possibility of survival since there's just less bullets flying about, so you can move up and take ground. I can see why guys are holding back with a bolt, unless you've got a bayonet, going for a cap indoors is pretty much a kamakazi charge.

Reactions: Sgt.NightFire
Upvote 0
At the moment i see sh*tloads of smg's and especially the MKB (overpowered piece of cr*p) the game in some levels has become a run and gun game, no longer we see the old RO1 style of playing.

And i admit, i only play with the ppsh41 now, just because i want the drum magazine (something that was mostly standard equipment back than), you have to gain level twenty fricking five before you get it. But on the big maps like Spartanovka, i like to use the bolt.

Upvote 0
At the moment i see sh*tloads of smg's and especially the MKB (overpowered piece of cr*p) the game in some levels has become a run and gun game, no longer we see the old RO1 style of playing.

And i admit, i only play with the ppsh41 now, just because i want the drum magazine (something that was mostly standard equipment back than), you have to gain level twenty fricking five before you get it. But on the big maps like Spartanovka, i like to use the bolt.

Since the reset I exclusively played bolt till I levelled the Kar up to 50, now I am PPSHing till I get the drum (1 lvl to go) after that might level the Mosin for a while.

I love Sparta the bolt is king on that map.

Upvote 0

Aw yes, the Soviet Doctrine of "You must kill 1,000 Germans and become a battle hardened psychopath before you are given standard issue equipment"

Upvote 0