• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

URGENT: 64-Man pubs are KILLING the game

CommieKid

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
EVERY time I join a 64 man pub it's a laggy, glitch-filled lagfest. It doesn't matter how low my ping is. What is the good of playing with 60 other people if it's going to be miserable and laggy?

The problem is that admins can't afford to pay for proper 64 man servers so they stretch the slots out.. (stupid)

If you want to give people a FUN experience, please lower your slots to 32 players and raise the server ticrkrate to 40. When playing on 32 man servers it's really smooth.

By the way, can you guys please use countdown from time to time? Its fun every once in a while especially when all of these servers are 24/7 territory.

I stopped playing 64 man servers weeks ago, and I can't imagine going back.

My performance issues go away if I'm playing ~40 man servers. The maps don't feel as horribly cramped and claustrophobic, and you have room to maneuver and be tactical. The pace slows down a bit, as you aren't running into a dozen guys every time you turn a corner, and there's generally more cooperation and teamwork on smaller servers.

So yes, more small servers, please.

Upvote 0
We run a usually 32-man (now dropped to 24-man because we're trying to be agressive with our tickrate setting testing etc.) server and here is the info in case you're interested.

sf. Shoot First [Tactical] - TE & CD

We have been running at 40 tickrate for a week or so now and many have told us there is a noticeable difference in "hit reg" etc.

I am trying to organise a "testing-night" for tonight (between 8 and 10pm CST) in another thread but I'm not sure if anyone is actually going to show.

Anyway, if you're interested add me to your STEAM (sf.monk) and we can talk more about server setup etc. We sometimes run our server as CD-only as well so maybe that's a good fit for you there as well.

Upvote 0
I agree with OP.

Don't worry; 'natural selection' will kill off the 64 player servers before too long.

These maps work really well with fewer players, even down to being able to have a lot of fun with 4 versus 4. Mind you, the bots work well enough that it's worth using them to flesh out an empty server.

Upvote 0
I agree with OP.

Don't worry; 'natural selection' will kill off the 64 player servers before too long.

These maps work really well with fewer players, even down to being able to have a lot of fun with 4 versus 4. Mind you, the bots work well enough that it's worth using them to flesh out an empty server.

Agreed. Our server is set to keep the population minimum to 5v5 so if people leave the server a bot will take their place. (Also I'm not sure if this actually changed anything or not but I changed the "game difficulty" in the web-admin and I swear the bots now have aimbots and wallhacks....:D)

Upvote 0
There is one server 'near' me that runs 64, and I haven't had a problem with it. Others become horrible beyond 50 players. (The name of the one I play on most escapes me currently I think it is Second Fallschimjager. but I can't be sure.)

The answer is simple. Don't play on laggy server, and go play on other servers. If it means you sit there with a friend or two and screw around till it starts to fill up, then so be it.

Impatience and an unwillingness to wait a few minutes is what kills the game, not admins running servers above what the hardware can handle. I prefer the 64 man servers, but I will play 40 or 32 man servers if that is what it takes to get into a game that isn't horribly laggy. Still lots of action to be had on a 32 man server.

Upvote 0
32 to 40 players is perfection in RO2.

Whether it's performance or preference it just works better.

Now that's not saying I wouldn't like to play 64 player matches, it's just that we need some better servers, and better maps for it.

My only real gripe is how everyone seems to pile into a few full servers, while the only populated, non-capped servers have 2-5 people in them. Not sure why this happens so often.

Reactions: Sufyan
Upvote 0
The servers that run 64 people is not up to Tripwire it is the clans, communities, etc., and the reason for alot of lag is the server companies try to make as much money off each server box that they will put too many servers on one box and overload it, which causes lag, the problem is mainly the server companies being greedy. And it being windows servers that are so hardware hungry does not make it any better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the maps are designed for 64 players actually. Playing on other modes feels empty to me. Like I can go almost wherever I want cause I know at least one of the routes will be unguarded. I thought they had said that routes would close off on servers set to lower numbers of max players. But I have not noticed that at all. All the routes are still there only difference is less class slots an less people to cover all the possible entrances. It does actually make for a better Pub experience though since you no longer have to rely on rare SL smokes to cover your advance. It's much easier to Rambo an just sneak in which is how all pubbers prefer to play anyway.

Upvote 0
For map size I think it really depends on the map, I find some accomodate one format more than the other, and some are equally good for both. Some people in this thread say that there's no 32 player servers with people in them, well for me (North America) 101Jager and LMC Tactics and Teamwork servers usually have plenty of people.

Upvote 0