• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

More tank maps?

I would expect that if some community made maps are exceptionally good they would make it into a community bonus pack of sorts and released officially by TWI via steam. Just a hunch based on how they handled it in previous versions of the game (mod & OST).

I'm sure TWI knows well enough that people want more tanks and tank maps. It'll just be a matter of time.

Upvote 0
Can I has battle of Kursk? Pleeeeease?

Play ro1 it was called Black Day July(Kursk) there ...A good tank map

Unless modders start making new tanks like the Panther and T-34/85 etc it would be hard to recreate in HoS.Time line wise its just not possible with official releases but,maybe with some mods it can still be possible.

Stalingrad did have some massive tank battles while not really in the city itself.Like the encirclement of the 6th army when the Russians launched a massive counter attack trapping them.Or when Gen Hoth tried to rescue the trapped 6th army he even had some Tigers in that battle.So huge tank battle type maps is possible historically speaking and I'm hoping some official maps have these battles.

Personally I would love to see a remake of Black Day July for RO2 it was a very large map with some awesome tank battles.Being Kursk tho it will have to be a mod ...if TWI sticks to their historical timeline that is.

A couple tank maps for OST
Efo Match- Black Day July, Arad Night. - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0
posted this in another thread...probably more applic here:

I just watched an excellent doco on the History channel (called "Tank Battles" from memory) one of which was the Stalingrad tank battles - yes there were numerous and quite wide scale (including the real Gumrak ie. the russian attack on the airfields airlifting ammo/food/etc to the trapped 6th Army - note: IRL there were no german tanks...it was russian tanks vs A/T guns - the russian tanks ran out of ammo and just rammed the Junkers 52s that were parked there). Anyway, the doco showed how the main tank battles were between the following:

German:
PIVs
Stug IIIs (I think it was the ver III but definitely the Stug)

Russian:
T34s
KV1s

thats atleast twice as many tanks as there are now. oh, and there were quite a few large tank battles in towns.

We certainly need more tank maps. I hate seeing 64 player Gumrak only servers empty.

The above was in respose to another post but still the idea is there - whilst not exactly in stalingrad (is Gumrak IN stalingrad?), there were some massive tank battles that contributed to the defeat of the germans at Stalingrad which I'd love to play.

Agree on the Battle of Kursk - image a 64 player tank vs tank battle - that would be awesome! (and pure carnage).

Upvote 0
posted this in another thread...probably more applic here:

I just watched an excellent doco on the History channel (called "Tank Battles" from memory) one of which was the Stalingrad tank battles - yes there were numerous and quite wide scale (including the real Gumrak ie. the russian attack on the airfields airlifting ammo/food/etc to the trapped 6th Army - note: IRL there were no german tanks...it was russian tanks vs A/T guns - the russian tanks ran out of ammo and just rammed the Junkers 52s that were parked there). Anyway, the doco showed how the main tank battles were between the following:

German:
PIVs
Stug IIIs (I think it was the ver III but definitely the Stug)

Russian:
T34s
KV1s

thats atleast twice as many tanks as there are now. oh, and there were quite a few large tank battles in towns.

We certainly need more tank maps. I hate seeing 64 player Gumrak only servers empty.

The above was in respose to another post but still the idea is there - whilst not exactly in stalingrad (is Gumrak IN stalingrad?), there were some massive tank battles that contributed to the defeat of the germans at Stalingrad which I'd love to play.

Agree on the Battle of Kursk - image a 64 player tank vs tank battle - that would be awesome! (and pure carnage).

Agree completely!! Would love more Tank maps and more tanks types for HOS.

Historically on the Sov Side there were KV-1s, T-60s, T-70s, T-26s and even M-3 General Lees and Stuarts present at Stalingrad according. Possibly also KV-2, Matilda 2, Churchill 3 and Valentines.

Upvote 0
actually it was really good to watch that doco as they explained the attack on Gumrak or the airfields.

The germans had sent a big force to break through to the beleagured 6th Army in Stalingrad and had defeated a russian tank force sent to stop it. The 6th army btw was being supplised by the air at the time from airfields to the WNW of Stalingrad. The russians, fearing the breakthrough and rescue, then sent their tanks South West to the airfields (the german tanks were rushing West to Stalingrad and the airfields were to their N or NNW) to try to get them to focus on defending the airfields instead...which they did. They didn't have enough armour to focus on both objectives at once.

Apparently that was a MAJOR reason why the 6th army wasn't rescued. RO2 has certainly increased my interest in the Eastern Front (I wouldn't have been that interested otherwise) and its amazing which certain battles can do to a war!

anyway...we need more tank maps! :)

Upvote 0
RO2 has certainly increased my interest in the Eastern Front (I wouldn't have been that interested otherwise) and its amazing which certain battles can do to a war!

The eastern front saw the most intense brutal battles the world has ever seen
also the war was won on the Eastern front.If the 3 million Germans that entered Russia during Operation Barbarossa had been in Normandy the allies would have been thrown into the sea.It was also one of histories greatest blunder on the German part for invading the Soviet Union.

It was often called the Forgotten War or the Great Patriarch War

If your Interested here is a great! documentary on it it should spark you interest even more.(click the top of the vid to go to youtube to see all 12 parts)
WWII - Battlefield - The Battle For Russia - 1/12 - YouTube

Upvote 0
hi all i am sure i read on this forum how to play the tanks OFFLINE can it be done?? also yes we need more tanks maps for the tanks.

There is a Gumrak mission in the single player campaign where you can fight against AI tanks, and I played on a server last night running Gumrak that had about 8 bot controlled tanks on each side so you can always try practising there. When I was on there was only one other human playing so it was rather interesting.

Upvote 0
Tank Maps

Tank Maps

Combined arms was one of the things i really enjoyed about RO1. I liked the mostly infantry battles with some armor support, I liked the mostly infantry only battles, but i also really liked the tank battles with some infantry support.

The only real disappointment i have had with the game is the lack of any good primarily tank battle maps, and limited number of tanks. While i applaud the tank internal modeling, truthfully, most of the time you are not looking inside the tank. I would rather have more tanks and infantry carrier vehicles than the modelled interiors. Would also like to see wounded tankers bailing out and not just completely blown up tanks. Some tanks went down because of mechanical problems. Some tanks were destroyed without the tank having a catostrophic explosion. Some tanks were knocked out and flames started, some crew bailed out and then later the tank went up. Would like to see this. Bottom line, dont forget the tankers, they were also a part of RO1's loyal fans.

I also hope that folks who Mod will not just restrict themselves to Stalingrad. RO2 is a new game engine and i want to see maps for the entire period of the war. And want more tanks and better tank maps.

They cannot come soon enough. While i love the infantry combat, i also miss the nights with my wine and tanking with folks from all over the world :)

Upvote 0
BlackDayJuly was battle of Kursk? Now I regret never playing the map, maybe I'll do a quick practice round later today.

Yes sir it was the first map and a good one with a full server.RO1 had 2 kursk's in fact the other was Kursk 44 which had newer tanks but only played it a few times. I will say Black day was good tho it and Arad was my 2 favorite RO tank maps.You should check it out was a huge map with lots of flanking and ambush positions.

Upvote 0