• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What's the purpose of honor specifically?

It makes me think of America's Army, which was the first game I ever saw a system like this in. I don't think many games ever implemented it, because well, it can be a buzz kill.

It's great for srs business games like this, though.

America's Army has a player statistic called 'Honor'. Your Honor score represents a combination of experience and playing time, and can also be a reflection of skill. It is based on how many points you have accumulated over time while playing on Official servers and Honor-enabled Leased Servers. Any points you earn while playing on any other type of server does not contribute to your Honor total.

For example, if you fell below a certain level, by TKIng, dicking around, that kind of thing, you'd not be able to join the majority of servers.

The higher honor you had, you'd get access to more premium weapons, weapon mods, and squad roles.

Upvote 0
In Americas Army it felt like like a better representation of how often you team killed. And it was harder to raise from what I remembered. Servers could set a minimum honor which could be used to block TK'ers or newer players. Problem is from what I have seen in RO2 honor seems to raise really fast. So much that you could teamkill a lot an still be gaining.

Upvote 0
I think honor levels up when you gain team points. And honor is required that you level up a class like a rifleman. Gaining experience is not enough, you should also gain enough honor to advance to another level.

^ So no teamkillers will be able to level up easily. And as you gain rank with a class, you will eventually gain a hero level. That's my opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is basically a measure of your time played. Everything you do yields honor and you have a grand total pool of honor that determines your honor level. Team points and kill points both go into your honor total.

Each of the roles also requires that you gain x amount of honor while playing it to have it level up (in addition to all the experience you must earn toward the class.)

Servers can set the minimum/maximum honor level so they can have newbie or veteran servers.

I agree that Honor isn't really a good measure of who is or isn't team killing. If someone does nothing but hardcore team killing, they'll level, but not much. So I guess it works that in respect.

Upvote 0
As a historical Lesson. Back about 4 years ago we were having discussons on these very forums about how to have new players not take important team postions like the commander. Also how to properly deal with people who artied their own spawn and generaly tked to be dicks. ( google ****** ), I knew that guy before he became a complete douche.

Fast foreward to the present. The honour system starts you out at 10 honour, and if you go below a certain level servers will not let you in. you will have to find a 'penal' server that lets you play with lower then regular honour. It seems that is really the only substance thing that honour does. Sure it might change your aesthetics slowly, that matters little to me.

Sadly along the way certain classes were not limted by honour, in my opinion players should gain the other postions with honour. starting with only riflemen unlocked, then @ 15 assault. @ 25 MG, @ 35 Squad leader, # 40 Commander. Fill in some of the other ones in between.

Now on the subject of how effective the honour system is, I think it is highly over rated. However a certain TWI company president who will remain namless for the sake of anonymity once worked on Americas Army and in his own words had a part in the honour system for AA. Considering it is a system to punish and track teamkillers, it is in my opinion a complete failure as anyone who plays regularly for a day or two can amass large stocks of 'honour' points and then go on a TK spree ( atleast in Americas Army 2 ). That actually happened to me on my first attempt at trying Americas Army2, rage quit and left the game after tking the tker back and I was sent to the ingame jail.

Upvote 0
This thread is good question

I've went from 10 to 21 in about 4 hours of playing; it definitely moves up fast.

What is the point of stats if, in 1 mounth, everybody will be 99 honorl level??

It could be cool, if it would be realy hard to climb, but now it realy is superficial.

I am enjoying playing the game now, with stats low, since the weapons seems to me more realistic, with more sway and more recoil.
At level 99, it is like the soldier wears a crysis suit...

Upvote 0
Well, any system like this could be gamed by griefers, but in order to do so they have to earn honor on a regular basis, which means they can't spend all their time in the game only tk'ing which ultimately has an overall positive effect on the atmosphere, even if only slight.

But, one idea that might help the honour system: since kills from and to objectives are worth more, they should make team kills from and to objectives give more of a hit to honour (since it does hurt your team more), enough to mitigate the fact that they can earn more honor at that objective. That way the person who even fairly regularly just makes a mistake (over time it will happen less, because by honest mistakes, they learn) can still easily progress in honour, but the person who is an intentional chronic tk'er trying to game honour by getting in capzones will have to be more careful with how they do it.

The only problem with the honour system that I see is it doesn't seem to be used that much. I don't know if I've played on any server that has set its minimum honor yet. I could be wrong...I don't check every time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In Americas Army it felt like like a better representation of how often you team killed. And it was harder to raise from what I remembered. Servers could set a minimum honor which could be used to block TK'ers or newer players. Problem is from what I have seen in RO2 honor seems to raise really fast. So much that you could teamkill a lot an still be gaining.
On America's Army it was ultimately slow. It took roughly 2000-2500 hours to get honor level 100. I played the game roughly 2k+ hours on public and I had honor level of 97.

The purpose of it was to give u slight advantage in picking weapons and roles. After a match ended you got a combined score of your current score and honor and with higher score you got to choose before people that had less score than u had.

It would be awesome feature in RO too. Although I don't complain I am like first on the server 90% of the time and I can pick the role I want.

Upvote 0
I don't know so much (utterly nothing) about the XP in RO2 due to the fact that I'm on a low level and that I barely play the game anymore but I hope XP and weapon XP won't give you better aim and stuff like that. If it keep teamkillers out of the picture that's great, but otherwise I consider skill as something the player should get from real-life gameplay and not fake skills that the game awards you with for playing the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0