• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Can people cheat smoke with graphic settings?

Don Draper

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
Melbourne Australia
I was Curious if players can cheat smoke by altering there graphic settings?
(or just plain cheat by modifying something)

The reason i ask is sometimes i find it uncanny that i have been shot directly in a cloud of smoke. Im not talking i run into smoke and someone sprays the SMG into the cloud in hope of hitting....im talkin direct fire when there should have been no reason for them to know i was in it.

If it does occur i just want to be aware that people can do it rather than me shaking my head wondering.

Ofcourse it could just be luck...or they followed me into the smoke and i did not see them...mind you i had my back to a wall on one occasion.

BTW...had one of the best times on grain elevator as allies...was the only one defending foothold with the tripod HMG killed about 12 axis straight...and they kept coming the same way trying to cap (all real players). ( i was laughing cause i never had such a good run) our side was very green and no one was trying to cap the area like the axis......so here i was murdering the oppostion and holding the foothold....then....then!!! i got TKed. Just thought i would share that.
My only response was....not NP....but OMG. its all fun. just the best fun i have had so far.

From what i have experienced sometimes your outline is already visible on the outside, while you can't see anything while inside the Smoke.

I have been on the receiving End of this too. It is usually happening close to the edge of the smoke. Higher Graphic settings usually allow better visibility since the Smoke is at parts semi opaque.

Upvote 0
I have been on the receiving End of this too. It is usually happening close to the edge of the smoke. Higher Graphic settings usually allow better visibility since the Smoke is at parts semi opaque.
This! When I had my effects to medium or high dont remember I could see outlines while when the settings are low the smoke is practically a grey non trasnparent wall.

I had this in one situation when I could pwn 2 or more enemies in the smoke because they clearly couldnt see me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I very much doubt there is a settings exploit to abuse for this.

Because of how smoke is implemented in the game it is easier to see into it than it is to see out of it. It is just layers of flat sprites that are always aligned in the direction you are looking. While you may be looking at a screen completely obscured by semitransparent sprites floating just in front of your face, an enemy far away from the smoke will see you becoming increasingly more visible as you move between the layers of smoke sprites. It is possible to get some better visibility inside the smoke by looking away from the direction you want to observe, say turn 40 degrees to the right and the smoke sprites will rotate the same way, and just maybe you will now be able to see a bit more clearly in your left hand side peripheral vision. It may give you an idea what is hiding in the smoke but once you turn to face that direction the smoke sprites move back as well.

Skilled players may be able use their peripheral vision to spot enemys remember where to aim. I think this primitive graphical effect is partially the reason we can no longer set FOV higher than 75 degrees, it would give so much peripheral vision you could see past almost any smoke screen.

Upvote 0
Well my gfx are pretty low on low end rig and i cant see through smoke, i do watch for shadows on the edge.

If im Assault or machine gunner as soon as the enemy smoke is popped i start to spray the area, could be just lucky shots? Take a good guess at direction and flow of battle plus the predictable routes people take in the maps its easy to get a lucky kill through smoke, hell i even scored 3 kills the other night BLIND firing through smoke :p

Upvote 0
Tank mg AI will headshot you straight through smoke.

Yes, and the human tank commander will get the kill credit for it. This is an obvious case where a lot of people probably would think some cheating was going on, I did myself at least until the tank commander himself graciously admitted that his 100+ kill score was mostly on account of his AI machinegunner. I have as far as possible avoided combined arms maps after that (even though that was one of my favourite map types in RO1).

Upvote 0
Of course there are hacks to remove smoke. This is the unreal engine. I remember people using no smoke hacks back in AA2, it still works the same for UE3(they use them in AA3 as well). Its the same as the rest of the hacks, they have reversed the game quite a bit and built their own SDK that they use to code/compile their hacks with. Every hack isn't just 1 single hack, its called a multi-hack for a reason. They have a whole list of things that they can do: Remove weapon recoil, remove weapon sway, remove smoke effects completely, remove suppression effects(more than likely), ect.. ect..

I don't know if its possible to just exploit by modding graphic settings though. Doesn't really make any sense why people would do that though, they buy this game to get a "realistic" WWII First Person shooter, and then they kill any realism that existed by removing the effects(such as smoke), rendering players through walls, and having a program aim for them.

Then again, if you try to model your game after Call of Duty to draw in the COD crowd, what do you expect? Everyone is going to hack as much as they can, well not hack, but use cheats that actual hackers programmed and then use them in-game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Of course there are hacks to remove smoke. This is the unreal engine. I remember people using no smoke hacks back in AA2, it still works the same for UE3(they use them in AA3 as well). Its the same as the rest of the hacks, they have reversed the game quite a bit and built their own SDK that they use to code/compile their hacks with. Every hack isn't just 1 single hack, its called a multi-hack for a reason. They have a whole list of things that they can do: Remove weapon recoil, remove weapon sway, remove smoke effects completely, remove suppression effects(more than likely), ect.. ect..

I don't know if its possible to just exploit by modding graphic settings though. Doesn't really make any sense why people would do that though, they buy this game to get a "realistic" WWII First Person shooter, and then they kill any realism that existed by removing the effects(such as smoke), rendering players through walls, and having a program aim for them.

Then again, if you try to model your game after Call of Duty to draw in the COD crowd, what do you expect? Everyone is going to hack as much as they can, well not hack, but use cheats that actual hackers programmed and then use them in-game.

It doesn't make sense until you realise that a significant number of players don't play for the experience, they play for a score. And that's mainly because they imagine all the other players are sitting there in awe of them. They haven't yet grasped that they are an anonymous avatar and nobody actually cares unless they know them in real life. Not to mention that most other players realise there's bent stuff going on, especially when it's visually present and in their face.

Most legitimate game-functions are achievable by just about any player. Which is why when you see one that you cannot achieve, 99 times out of a 100 it will be a vulnerability, flaw or loophole the offending player has found a way to exploit.

Upvote 0
Well thats the thing though, this is supposed to be RO. Its ironic that they removed most of what made this difficult to play, and that actually increased the cheating more it seems. Thats what I am saying, try to model your game after Call of Duty to draw in the COD crowd, this is what you end up with. People using these kind of things in the game because they care about the "Realism" & "Immersion" aspects of the game.

If they would revert back to what Red Orchestra started as, an attempted Simulation style of game, instead of this "Arcade" conversion, I think the cheating would die down a lot more. Nobody wants to cheat in more slow paced game like that, and their cheats still let them down 50% of the time because of the way the game is designed.

Just please don't bring back the ungodly recoil from RO1, that was overdone for sure.

Upvote 0
From what i have experienced sometimes your outline is already visible on the outside, while you can't see anything while inside the Smoke.

Totally corrct ... smoke is a strange thing that for some people works in one way and for other people in other way ...

Upvote 0