• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Spartanovka - some of the best matches I've ever played

*shrug* I let other people shoot at each other inside the buildings. I just like it because it's one of the few maps where you actually fight building to building sometimes. It's a nice mix of all maps. I mean, compared to Apartments? It's not that run and gun. I probably kill more people camping an MG position or watching streets than I do assaults being assaulty.

When I get to play the map, that is.

Upvote 0
Spartanovka was my first favourite map too.
But than i played some rounds at Elevator Grain as russian soldier and now this is the best map for me. I loved to defend the A and B points and after the germans captured them and the fight is going on for the grain silo, i love it to fight for every floor and push them back to the ground.
And this maybe sounds a little bit strange for you, but when i am on the top floor of that grain silo, i get a feeling what i had 10 or 15 years ago when i was running around as little boy with friends on the top floor of a abandoning industrial building here in my neighbourhood. Very great, i never had this feelinf on a PC-game before, good work tripwire for that awesome and authentic atmosphere! :)

Upvote 0
My favourite map as well. Perhaps not my favourite layout of all the maps, but factoring in countdown and caps, definitely plays the best. And as mentioned, prolly the closest map ending most often with both sides out of reinf and the final cap in play. I've seen the Germans steamroll to the final cap very quickly and I've seen the Russians stall the Germans at the Church so I like that it doesn't always play out the same. Sqeaked out a 2 round victory as the Russians the other day playing as cmdr; had 160 kills and 830 teampoints ;) and we won both matches by the skin of our teeth.

Upvote 0
Agreed, also love how , from the german view, the right side of the map is more for bolt rifles and snipers and the left side is more for assaults and rushers :p

I'd say I've had the most success on the left with a bolt or an MG because of the ability to fire across the entire map. On the right, it's more SMG land.

I believe this is the first map made for RO2, and I agree, even with it's cover problems, it's still the best.

Upvote 0
I still see too many rounds dominated by the Germans on this map, as a Russian it feels like you're spawning too far away from the cap at all times, and even if you run you seldom get to the cap before the Germans take it.
It also seems too easy for the Germans too gun down the Russians when they run from their spawn to the cap.

Its been about 50/50 for me the problem most Russian teams have is their used to fighting on the flanks in the middle caps.At the last cap they will still do this leaving the Town Hall almost undefended.I hate to loose Town Hall when 20 guys are no where near it.Its more bad defense than good German assault.

If the Russians can get 75% of the team inside the final cap with smg's watching the stairs/clearing out Germans that's inside Town Hall .And good riflemen/mg's at the windows covering the approaches.It makes it near impossible for the Germans to cap.

This makes the Germans have to attack with 80% or more of their team and even then most will be cut down reaching the cap.With that many inside the cap the Russian SL must lay down a smoke screen for his team to be able to reach the cap.Once inside its the best place to be and the safest the flanks can be covered from the side windows and arty.

Upvote 0
It's a great map, the only thing I don't like is that you can't push back as the Russians. You can capture the last objective but it doesn't do anything. I always have the most fun in the middle two objectives and think the battle would stay there longer if the allies could recapture them and move the battle back again. Don't think it would affect balance of the map much because if it's anywhere the Germans get stuck right now it's at the last and maybe second objective.

Upvote 0
Its more bad defense than good German assault.

If the Russians can get 75% of the team inside the final cap with smg's watching the stairs/clearing out Germans that's inside Town Hall .And good riflemen/mg's at the windows covering the approaches.It makes it near impossible for the Germans to cap.

Yep. This is why the map fails for Russians so many times. They can have a great defense all the way up to the Townhall...then defend it with all of 5 people while the whole German team is looking to storm the building, or sit on the exterior face.

If the Russians can bleed the Germans bad enough getting to the Townhall, it's pretty much impossible to take it against several competent defenders before your reinforcements go poof. I rarely see that happen though. Half the time the Russians give up the Church, Housing Blocks 1 & 2 almost without a fight. If they die inside one of those points....oh well, they just fall back 150 meters and start shooting. It's dumb. I regularly have to "motivate" team members in the rear by unloading my weapon into the wall they're using for cover. They take the hint, most of the time.

Upvote 0
I think part of the flop in success rates is that on release the Germans flanked hard through the line of houses off to the side and used that territory to hold down the field too the church. these days they go straight through the gullies which often ends in a stagnation and stalemate.

edit: and yes player experience helps a lot.

I think that tactic became less effective when the Russians got bolder about charging into the Gullies an locking it down. So now the Germans just rush the Gullies an let the Commander cheese the Russians with Artillery to kill all the defenders before they rush it.

That's my biggest issue with this map is its really dominated by Artillery. Other than that its a great and balanced map. Russian side does need to learn to get into that final cap zone more though.

Upvote 0
I enjoy Spartanovka quite a fair amount and you can really tell the difference between two evenly balanced (skill-wise) teams versus a match with one stacked team. When teams are balanced, coordinated pushes on one flank with the cover of artillery and MG fire can force a point to be capped (or recapped, pending side) and the combination of close, medium, and long range fighting makes for quite an enjoyable map. This map truly allows players to exploit the benefit of flanking by pushing on one side of the map followed by utilizing enfilading fire towards the other flank, killing enemies mostly in the open behind buildings. If an assault trooper and two riflemen push past your line on one side, they can massacre the troops on the other flank with ease, usually against immobile / in-cover targets.

Upvote 0
I still see too many rounds dominated by the Germans on this map, as a Russian it feels like you're spawning too far away from the cap at all times, and even if you run you seldom get to the cap before the Germans take it.
It also seems too easy for the Germans too gun down the Russians when they run from their spawn to the cap.

The only time I see the Germans dominate this map is when the Russians fail to defend the flanks.
I love this map play boltie on both sides and for both sides I spend the majority of the time on the flank with the gully. As a german I am trying to get in a position behind the Russian cap where I can cut off the Russians from reinforcing the active cap area, as the Russians I am trying to stop the Germans from doing the above.

As an example I joined a server yesterday towards the end of the first round on this map as Russian and the Russians were getting slaughtered with no defence on the right the Germans were just flooding in from the gully into the last cap zone, the Germans won by capping out.
Next round with same players, 2 or 3 other players plus myself spent all our time on the right covering the gully and basically shut that avenue of attack down, it got to the stage that only 1 or 2 Germans a minute were trying to advance that way - result Germans didn't get past the 1st housing block.

Upvote 0
The only time I see the Germans dominate this map is when the Russians fail to defend the flanks.
I love this map play boltie on both sides and for both sides I spend the majority of the time on the flank with the gully. As a german I am trying to get in a position behind the Russian cap where I can cut off the Russians from reinforcing the active cap area, as the Russians I am trying to stop the Germans from doing the above.

As an example I joined a server yesterday towards the end of the first round on this map as Russian and the Russians were getting slaughtered with no defence on the right the Germans were just flooding in from the gully into the last cap zone, the Germans won by capping out.
Next round with same players, 2 or 3 other players plus myself spent all our time on the right covering the gully and basically shut that avenue of attack down, it got to the stage that only 1 or 2 Germans a minute were trying to advance that way - result Germans didn't get past the 1st housing block.

This is true its one of the best flanking maps we have due to the fact that most of the capzones is "wide" so the Russians can be defending a flank and still have bodies in the cap.I would love to see more of these wider type capzones it spreads the battle out more.

The only time this fails tho is in the last cap and the reason the Russians loose it there alot.So many is in the mindset of covering the flanks that most of the team fail to actually get bodies in the zone.Letting just a handful of Germans cap Town Hall.Watching the flanks is great but when the capzone shrinks you need bodies in the zone.

"He who defends everything defends nothing" Holy Roman emperor Frederick the 2nd

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Spartanovka is great, expect for a few issues.

1. Annoying to use an MG at times. Too few points to deploy, and you can't aim down sights without doing so. It is by no means impossible, but I find it feels artificially limiting.

2. Inability to enter most of the buildings, and cover feels very 'linear'. If someone manages to get to a flank and look around one end or the other in the village, they can pick off a huge number of people who are under cover. You only get cover from one direction in most cases, leaving you exposed.

3. Some of the cap zones are annoyingly close to the houses. Accidentally step a few feet back while slicing the pie around a corner, and you're no longer in the cap zone.

Beyond those fairly minor issues, the map is amazing. Lately I've been seeing more Russian than German wins on it.

Upvote 0