• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Semi Autos at close range

Its actually TWIs and the serveradmins fault for all of this. The problem comes from the fact that servers are set to run at 20 ticks default. Compare that to UT3s 30 default and some ladders run at 35 even. I guess the reason for it is that we wouldn't have any 64 slot servers if it where higher, since there would be few servers that could run it.

But you can set it higher as an admin if you want and have the hardware to back it up. The game gets much more responsive and close combat dosent feel so random if you have it a bit higher. :)

Please explain this 'tick rate' of which you speak.

Reactions: {Core}Craig
Upvote 0
Please explain this 'tick rate' of which you speak.
Tick rate is how many times per second the server updates (handles and sends out data) so you can think of it as the servers FPS. So imagine playing with 20fps and you'll begin to understand why the game handles the way it does.

So with a tick rate of 20 (RO2 default) you have 50ms (1000ms/20) between each update. Compare this with 33ms (30 tickrate) or 28ms (35 tickrate).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tick rate is how many times per second the server updates (handles and sends out data) so you can think of it as the servers FPS.

So with a tick rate of 20 (RO2 default) you have 50ms (1000ms/20) between each update. Compare this with 33ms (30 tickrate) or 28ms (35 tickrate).
But why is long range more reliable than close range? Shouldn't it be the same thing basically`?

Upvote 0
Its actually TWIs and the serveradmins fault for all of this. The problem comes from the fact that servers are set to run at 20 ticks default. Compare that to UT3s 30 default and some ladders run at 35 even. I guess the reason for it is that we wouldn't have any 64 slot servers if it where higher, since there would be few servers that could run it.

But you can set it higher as an admin if you want and have the hardware to back it up. The game gets much more responsive and close combat dosent feel so random if you have it a bit higher. :)

Make that a sticky please.

Upvote 0
So.. want Semis to be the best overall weapon? Better than SMGs in Close quarters too? =P isnt it enough that semis is the easiest point and click adventure game at ranges 10-300 meters? =)

Hmmmm ... you mean it's "unreasonable" to expect a perfectly aimed center chest shot from rifle at 10 feet away to actually register as a hit? Sheesh, you'd think we were asking for a dinosaur ride and a free trip to Disneyland. :rolleyes:

BTW, the inaccuracy extends far more than 10m; it's really bad up to 30m, and gets progressively better as the distance gets longer. Which is why I always laugh when someone says, "you missed," or "learn to aim," yet you can make a 200m shot with no problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tick rate is how many times per second the server updates (handles and sends out data) so you can think of it as the servers FPS. So imagine playing with 20fps and you'll begin to understand why the game handles the way it does.

Thanks buddy. :) Interesting stuff but hard to understand how it affects hit-detection at close range vs medium/long range. Bullet impact is as likely to be 'missed' by a tick at long range as short range I would have thought. :confused:

Reactions: {Core}Craig
Upvote 0
Sweet have been running our "Semi" public server on 40 Tickrate ("FPS") with a rate of 30000. This is more then dubble the default 20 tickrate and 10000 byterate most servers are running at and we have had some GREAT responses from the ppl playing on it. More then one time i recall ppl calling it the BEST RO2 server they have ever played on. Most of us agree with this the response was greatly improved. I whould rly like too see more admins running similar settings. This also makes smaller pingtimes a possibility due to not having a default 50MS delay. Instead this delay is 25ms (in theory)

WORD OF WARNING
Alot of servers are already going way over their capacity with having to many slots. Be carefull when setting up your servers. Almost NO servers can handle 64 players in default settings atm. We are getting below 100ping (most of the time) on our server running at 32 slots with these settings. Start out slow the game is alot more fun 10vs10 with these settings then with 32vs32 when the response is ****.

I whould really like to see some experienced UT3 admins way in on this. Whats best? Should we maybe lower the rate to 20000 again?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From sprinting to standing still down the sight... isn't as long as you mention. Can be don in like .5 seconds or something.
I see a lot of Mkb'ers sprinting and shooting down the sight for a split second and then sprint again.
It's no call of duty, but it is done very quickly nevertheless.

Not a rant against mkb'ers btw, the same goes for every gun (even bolts). However mkb'ers do it more often (needs no explaining)

I didn't say it was all that long. But if I am already locked on him while he is still in another animation with this weapon unusable, I have a major advantage.

Upvote 0