• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How are riflemen going to be balanced?

in bf1942, the japanese got gewher 43s. i think they should be implemented for the sake of balance.

Dude, you do know that the IJN in Battlefield 1942 and 1943 had the Type 4/5 Semi Automatic rifle?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_5_Rifle

Only 250 were produced.

Type_5_Semi-Automatic_Rifle.jpg

Upvote 0
Darkest Hour did a pretty good job of balancing the American M1 with the German K98. Granted the Germans also had more advanced weapons than the Japs, but the bolt-semi balance was pretty good. You could lay down suppressive fire with a Garand, but if you tried to rapid fire the recoil would be unmanageable. So you basically had to aim your shots carefully and compensate for the recoil in the same amount of time it takes for a K98 to chamber another round. OFC the recoil in Ro2 is much less than its predecessors so IDK.

Upvote 0
I am sorry guys but I am getting a bit tired of hearing "You should do this, because XYZ game managed it."

I hoped you would give us more credit for the ability to find our own ways fo addressing certain issues.

They're just suggestions to how it's been manged before. I'm all for it being unbalanced personally.

Upvote 0
Darkest Hour did a pretty good job of balancing the American M1 with the German K98. Granted the Germans also had more advanced weapons than the Japs, but the bolt-semi balance was pretty good. You could lay down suppressive fire with a Garand, but if you tried to rapid fire the recoil would be unmanageable. So you basically had to aim your shots carefully and compensate for the recoil in the same amount of time it takes for a K98 to chamber another round. OFC the recoil in Ro2 is much less than its predecessors so IDK.

it was rubbish there too. By the time the german had chambered another round, he still had to aim, and by then he's either dead from shot 2 or trying to aim from suppression nudging from shots 2, 3 and 4.

...what can I say? Using 4 shots to kill a german was fine, not like I was going to get a KDR of 16 anyway :p

Upvote 0
Dear Rising Storm Devs, the modders who created Day of Defeat for the original RO were able to implement the M1 garand even though the German Kar 98 was a bolt action. Even on the german team we still were able to win many rounds against the American forces. It's all about teamwork.
The Garand was nerfed in DoD to require 2 shots to take someone down (headshots aside). We won't be nerfing weapon damage to enforce some arbitrary sense of balance.

Upvote 0
Honestly, if one weapon had the upper hand in real life, then so it should in a game. Really annoys me when developers try to balance a ****ty weapon and a superior weapon, and they both end up being pretty much equally as good.

Garand is better than the Arisaka, then so be it. The Japanese will probably have plenty of advantages when it comes to the maps (foxholes, tunnelsystems etc).

Though as mentioned above, it seem like the devs are going for realism when it comes to the weapons, so that's a plus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Garand is better than the Arisaka, then so be it. The Japanese will probably have plenty of advantages when it comes to the maps (foxholes, cavesystems etc).

It still leaves the problem of countdown, and the japanese having to attack their own fortified positions which are now manned by a heap of garands and thompsons. Maybe give them more arty barrages so they can soften up the defences before each attack?

Upvote 0
It still leaves the problem of countdown, and the japanese having to attack their own fortified positions which are now manned by a heap of garands and thompsons. Maybe give them more arty barrages so they can soften up the defences before each attack?

I think the suggestion of teams swapping sides at the end of rounds is a better idea. It was confusing as hell in RO2 Countdown when sides swapped and I was still Russian, but now defending. I know the devs said they don't want to be like other games and that, but it's pretty much ingrained into players now that when the round ends, you change sides.

Upvote 0
The Garand was nerfed in DoD to require 2 shots to take someone down (headshots aside). We won't be nerfing weapon damage to enforce some arbitrary sense of balance.

Awesome so that means your putting the unnerfed M1 Garand in the mod right? I mean there are other ways ppl who plays on the Jap team can win. I stress a lot about teamwork that overcomes weaponry because guns aren't shooting ppl, we are. Your mod will gain more respect if you follow historical data than a few players requests.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I believe there is a thread where someone brought up the point that in the beginning of the war the Marines in the Pacific had bolt action WW1 leftover rifles before the M-1 was the standard issue. I think most of the M-1's went to Europe as that was the priority at the time.

And as an after thought, I guess there can be balance if the Japanese are able to pick up the weapons of dead Marines. Granted, getting ammo might be spotty, but it's something, and I'm sure it happened in real life.

The M1 Garand became the standard issue rifle in 1936, and we were in the Pacific before we were in Europe so.....

Upvote 0
Wht about balancing the garand by having no suppression for the Japanese because they don't care if they die for the emperor.

This is the kind of stuff we are trying to avoid.. this "They will not feel basic physiological responses such as flinching cos they are fanatical subhumans/supermen" theory.

The Japanese were extraordinarily well disciplined and may feel the demoralisation effects of tight situations less. We are still looking at how to balance but it will not be this way.

Reactions: echutter
Upvote 0
Honestly I don't think they should try to "balance" weapons like this. The M1 Garand was simply better.

However the M1903 and M1903A1 Springfields were standard in many earlier battles, meaning the M1 Garands on those maps should be limited, i.e. like the "elite rifleman" in HoS. Even by 1943, some marines still had Springfield variants (now including the M1903A3), although the Marines were receiving much larger numbers of Garands.

Realistically, many American weapons were generally superior to their Japanese counterparts or available in greater numbers. The Marines had many more SMGs than the limited number the Japanese fielded during the war.

I'm curious about how the devs will balance this all out, but I'm hopeful.

Upvote 0