• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Step by Step Server Install Guide

Niccoli

May 16, 2009
I think the existing guide is a bit vague and generates a few questions, I'm hoping this can help some.

Steps to install:

• Download the hldsupdatetool.exe
  • Run it once, this will install it. The default directory will be something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Valve\HLServer". I recommend changing this as it will make your life easier for many reasons. I used c:\ro2 and will use that for this example.
  • Then from the place it was installed, via a command prompt (cmd.exe) run the following (you can change the c:\ro2 to wherever you need it installed):
Code:
hldsupdatetool.exe -command update -game redorchestra2 -dir C:\ro2
  • Once that is done installing, go to the c:\ro2\windows directory. Doubleclick the ue3redist.exe and it will finish the install.
  • Now go to the c:\ro2 directory, and copy the ro2server.bat to update_start_ro2server.bat.
  • Edit the new file, update_start_ro2server.bat, include the following two lines (change the map name, minplayer and maxplayer to whatever you want it to start with). If you want bots, change ?minplayers=0 to a number of bots you want to include. Bots will be replaced by players as they connect. So if you select 20 bots, when one player joins, you will have 19 bots and 1 player.
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Valve\HLServer\hldsupdatetool.exe  -command update -game redorchestra2 -dir C:\ro2
start .\binaries\win32\rogame.exe TE-CommissarsHouse?minplayers=0?maxplayers=32 -seekfreeloadingserver
By using the new file, when you start the server, it will first update it, then start it. Always make sure the server has completely stopped and it's window is gone before running it again.

Ok, the above should have gotten the server up and running when you double click the 'update_start_ro2server.bat file. It takes a little bit before a command window pops up with the server running, it should end with some line about punkbuster:
Code:
[0017.61] Log: PunkBuster Server: Game Version [7258]

Now shut down the server by selecting the window it is in, and hit CTRL-C. This will shut it down.

Go to c:\ro2\rogame\config\

Modify the following if you want to access the web management:
ROWeb.ini - change:
Code:
bEnabled=false
to
Code:
bEnabled=true

ROGame.ini - change (if you plan to set up mutilple Web Admins then don't set this password here, follow the linked guide):
Code:
AdminPassword=
to
Code:
AdminPassword=<a password of your choice>
Example:
AdminPassword=imapassword

Now restart your server. You should be able to log into the web console via the server ip : 8080. Example:
http://127.0.0.1:8080

From the web console you can change server name, settings, etc. See the linked guide for Web Admin usage.

If I missed some steps for a basic install, someone say so and I'll edit this post. I think the existing instructions are just a bit vague, tho this is probably intentional.

Last edited:
Want to get your server ranked, go here for more info.

However, before you do, you'll want to know your CIDR address for the application. Doing this wrong will get your application denied.

What is your CIDR address? Well, if you only have one server, thus on IP address it will be like this, replacing of course the IP I use with yours:

127.0.0.1/32

The /32 denotes a single IP address in CIDR format.

If you have a range of IP addresses, then use the following calculator to determine your CIDR:

CIDR Calculator

The info you will want to submit, from that calculator will be the "Net:CIDR Notation".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey mate,

thanks for the nice tutorial!

I got my hlds in a different folder though. I tried to run my update-bat like this:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\Valve\HLServer\HldsUpdateTool.exe" -command update -game redorchestra2 -dir C:\RedOrchestra2-a
It downloaded something, so I thought it was working. However, I still can't connect to the server. Am I missing something?

I read there is a way to check which version the server is via WebAdmin, but I can't see where that would be. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit:
The server is still on version 7. For some reasons though all my configs were overwritten.
You'll find the info in WebAdmin when clicking the link "About the Red Orchestra 2 WebAdmin" at the bottom of each page.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey mate,

thanks for the nice tutorial!

I got my hlds in a different folder though. I tried to run my update-bat like this:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\Valve\HLServer\HldsUpdateTool.exe" -command update -game redorchestra2 -dir C:\RedOrchestra2-a
It downloaded something, so I thought it was working. However, I still can't connect to the server. Am I missing something?

I read there is a way to check which version the server is via WebAdmin, but I can't see where that would be. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit:
The server is still on version 7. For some reasons though all my configs were overwritten.
You'll find the info in WebAdmin when clicking the link "About the Red Orchestra 2 WebAdmin" at the bottom of each page.

So try to run the update from the command line (while your server is not running) and see if it updates to version 9 (current as the writing of this post).

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for this guide!

I just have two quick questions though:

1) I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this kind of stuff, what exactly is this "update_start_ro2server.bat." and where do I find it?

2) How do I exactly add bots? I try the "minplayer=10?" thing but when I join the server I'm forced to wait in spectator mode until the minimum amount of real life players join.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for this guide!

I just have two quick questions though:

1) I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this kind of stuff, what exactly is this "update_start_ro2server.bat." and where do I find it?

Might have missed this step:

Now go to the c:\ro2 directory, and copy the ro2server.bat to update_start_ro2server.bat.

2) How do I exactly add bots? I try the "minplayer=10?" thing but when I join the server I'm forced to wait in spectator mode until the minimum amount of real life players join.

For the spectator issue, double check via your web admin the following. Under General, Connection make sure that Minimum Players is set to 1.

Upvote 0
Might have missed this step:

Now go to the c:\ro2 directory, and copy the ro2server.bat to update_start_ro2server.bat.

For the spectator issue, double check via your web admin the following. Under General, Connection make sure that Minimum Players is set to 1.

I also don`t understand this message. Where can i find ro2server.bat
i don`t have it in c/ro2

I want to learn it but its now abacabra

Upvote 0
I really don`t understand this message, when i read to start
the ue3redist i can find that file only in the RO2 folders and not
so as above stated in c/ro2.

And when i am updating the ue3redist i get an error.

I also don`t understand this message. Where can i find ro2server.bat
i don`t have it in c/ro2

When you ran the following command, what did you put as the -dir:

Code:
hldsupdatetool.exe -command update -game redorchestra2 -dir __________

This where the game will be installed, if you didn't use:

Code:
hldsupdatetool.exe -command update -game redorchestra2 -dir c:\ro2

Then it won't be in that directory.

Upvote 0
Hi all, I've managed to setup other HLDS servers before, but I can't seem to get this RO2 running - everything seems to have installed/updated fine as per guide(s) but it's spitting out this in the log upon launching the .bat, dos boxes disappear fast:

Code:
Log: Log file open, 10/02/11 15:31:02
Init: WinSock: version 1.1 (2.2), MaxSocks=32767, MaxUdp=65467
Init: Version: 7258
Init: Epic Internal: 0
Init: Compiled (32-bit): Sep 30 2011 13:14:28
Init: Changelist: 641002
Init: Command line: SERVER FF-Apartments?minplayers=0?maxplayers=32?adminpassword=xxxxxxxx -seekfreeloadingserver -log=MyServerLog.log
Init: Base directory: C:\HLServer\Binaries\win32\
[0000.14] Init: Computer: ED-LAPTOP
[0000.14] Init: User: Ed
[0000.14] Init: CPU Page size=4096, Processors=4
[0000.14] Init: High frequency timer resolution =2.078056 MHz
[0000.14] Init: Memory total: Physical=3.7GB Pagefile=7.4GB Virtual=4.0GB
[0000.35] Log: STEAMWORKS initialized 1
[0000.35] Init: Presizing for 33476 objects not considered by GC, pre-allocating 0 bytes.
[0000.36] Init: Object subsystem initialized
[0000.39] Log: Shader platform (RHI): PC-D3D-SM3
[0000.44] Log: PhysX GPU Support: ENABLED
[0005.50] Warning: Warning, Failed to load Outer for resource 'ReturnValue': Function OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks:RegisterLocalTalker
[0005.53] Warning: Warning, Failed to load Outer for resource 'ReturnValue': Function OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks:ResetStats
[0005.63] Warning: Warning, Failed to load Outer for resource 'ReturnValue': Function OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks:GetNumberOfCurrentPlayers
[0005.77] Warning: Warning, Failed to load Outer for resource 'ReturnValue': Function OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks:GetCurrentVOIPLevel
[0005.86] Warning: Warning, Failed to load Outer for resource 'ReturnValue': Function OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks:HasRO1License
[0005.86] Warning: Warning, Failed to load Outer for resource 'ReturnValue': Function OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks:HasRO2Preorder
[0005.86] Warning: Warning, Failed to load Outer for resource 'ReturnValue': Function OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks:HasRO1License
[0005.86] Warning: Warning, Failed to load Outer for resource 'ReturnValue': Function OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks:HasRO2Preorder
[0006.92] Warning: Invalid movie stream data for TextureMovie ui_videos.german_sp_loop
[0006.92] Warning: Invalid movie stream data for TextureMovie ui_videos.LoadScreen_Community
[0006.92] Warning: Invalid movie stream data for TextureMovie ui_videos.MainMenu1
[0006.92] Warning: Invalid movie stream data for TextureMovie ui_videos.soviet_sp_loop
[0007.27] Log: 124372 objects as part of root set at end of initial load.
[0007.27] Log: 0 out of 0 bytes used by permanent object pool.
[0007.31] Log: Executing Class Engine.ServerCommandlet
[0007.31] Log: Initializing Game Engine...
[0007.31] Warning: StaticLoadObject for Texture2D EngineMaterials RandomMirrorDisc couldn't find object in memory!
[0007.31] Warning: Warning, Failed to load 'Texture2D EngineMaterials.RandomMirrorDisc': Failed to find object 'Texture2D EngineMaterials.RandomMirrorDisc'
[0007.31] Warning: StaticLoadObject for Font ui_fonts Font_Small couldn't find object in memory!
[0007.31] Warning: Warning, Failed to load 'Font ui_fonts.Font_Small': Failed to find object 'Font ui_fonts.Font_Small'
[0007.31] Warning: StaticLoadObject for Font ui_fonts Font_Small couldn't find object in memory!
[0007.31] Warning: Warning, Failed to load 'Font ui_fonts.Font_Small': Failed to find object 'Font ui_fonts.Font_Small'
[0007.31] Warning: StaticLoadObject for Font ui_fonts Font_Chat couldn't find object in memory!
[0007.31] Warning: Warning, Failed to load 'Font ui_fonts.Font_Chat': Failed to

Any ideas? Lots of steamworks/movie/font related errors there... I only have one source server on the go at a time, as they're just practice rooms for me and a few friends, so there's nowt else running. No errors during hldsupdate or ue3redist. I haven't done any editing of any config files yet, I usually make sure a server can at least run first, not fussed about webadmin. I am however in a different directory, \HLServer rather than \RO2, but that shouldn't be an issue surely?

Any help much appreciated.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately the logs aren't particularly clear on things. I get a lot of the warnings as well, but my server works. When I double click the bat, the update window pops up and goes away quickly, unless there is an update.

Then after that a second window opens and stays open when it runs the server. My 'logs' file is below for comparison.

Code:
Log: Log file open, 10/05/11 11:26:06
Init: WinSock: version 1.1 (2.2), MaxSocks=32767, MaxUdp=65467
Init: Version: 7258
Init: Epic Internal: 0
Init: Compiled (32-bit): Sep 26 2011 11:46:14
Init: Changelist: 641002
Init: Command line: SERVER TE-Apartments?minplayers=4?maxplayers=40 -seekfreeloadingserver -log=ServerLog.log -configsubdir=ro2DEDpublic
Init: Base directory: C:\ro2\binaries\win32\
[0000.09] Log: Deleting old log file ServerLog-backup-2011.09.28-10.17.08.log
[0000.09] Log: Deleting old log file ServerLog-backup-2011.09.28-16.27.15.log
[0000.09] Log: Deleting old log file ServerLog-backup-2011.09.29-12.43.54.log
[0000.09] Log: Deleting old log file ServerLog-backup-2011.09.30-17.58.46.log
[0000.09] Init: Computer: 117-W2K3-BUSLOG
[0000.09] Init: User: Administrator
[0000.09] Init: CPU Page size=4096, Processors=2
[0000.09] Init: High frequency timer resolution =2266.810000 MHz
[0000.09] Init: Memory total: Physical=4.0GB Pagefile=4.6GB Virtual=2.0GB
[0000.09] Log: STEAMWORKS initialized 0
[0000.09] Init: Presizing for 33476 objects not considered by GC, pre-allocating 0 bytes.
[0000.09] Init: Object subsystem initialized
[0000.09] Warning: Warning, Unknown language extension . Defaulting to INT
[0000.11] Log: Shader platform (RHI): PC-D3D-SM3
[0000.17] Log: PhysX GPU Support: ENABLED
[0010.30] Warning: Warning, Failed to load Outer for resource 'ReturnValue': Function OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks:RegisterLocalTalker
[0010.32] Warning: Warning, Failed to load Outer for resource 'ReturnValue': Function OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks:ResetStats
[0010.39] Warning: Warning, Failed to load Outer for resource 'ReturnValue': Function OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks:GetNumberOfCurrentPlayers
[0010.47] Warning: Warning, Failed to load Outer for resource 'ReturnValue': Function OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks:GetCurrentVOIPLevel
[0010.51] Warning: Warning, Failed to load Outer for resource 'ReturnValue': Function OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks:HasRO1License
[0010.51] Warning: Warning, Failed to load Outer for resource 'ReturnValue': Function OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks:HasRO2Preorder
[0010.51] Warning: Warning, Failed to load Outer for resource 'ReturnValue': Function OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks:HasRO1License
[0010.51] Warning: Warning, Failed to load Outer for resource 'ReturnValue': Function OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks:HasRO2Preorder
[0011.41] Warning: Invalid movie stream data for TextureMovie ui_videos.german_sp_loop
[0011.41] Warning: Invalid movie stream data for TextureMovie ui_videos.LoadScreen_Community
[0011.41] Warning: Invalid movie stream data for TextureMovie ui_videos.MainMenu1
[0011.41] Warning: Invalid movie stream data for TextureMovie ui_videos.soviet_sp_loop
[0011.74] Log: 124420 objects as part of root set at end of initial load.
[0011.74] Log: 0 out of 0 bytes used by permanent object pool.
[0011.75] Log: Executing Class Engine.ServerCommandlet
[0011.75] Log: Initializing Game Engine...
[0011.75] Warning: StaticLoadObject for Texture2D EngineMaterials RandomMirrorDisc couldn't find object in memory!
[0011.75] Warning: Warning, Failed to load 'Texture2D EngineMaterials.RandomMirrorDisc': Failed to find object 'Texture2D EngineMaterials.RandomMirrorDisc'
[0011.75] Warning: StaticLoadObject for Font ui_fonts Font_Small couldn't find object in memory!
[0011.75] Warning: Warning, Failed to load 'Font ui_fonts.Font_Small': Failed to find object 'Font ui_fonts.Font_Small'
[0011.75] Warning: StaticLoadObject for Font ui_fonts Font_Small couldn't find object in memory!
[0011.75] Warning: Warning, Failed to load 'Font ui_fonts.Font_Small': Failed to find object 'Font ui_fonts.Font_Small'
[0011.75] Warning: StaticLoadObject for Font ui_fonts Font_Chat couldn't find object in memory!
[0011.75] Warning: Warning, Failed to load 'Font ui_fonts.Font_Chat': Failed to find object 'Font ui_fonts.Font_Chat'
[0011.77] Log: Looking for DLC...
[0011.79] Log: Steamworks is unavailable
[0011.79] Log: LoadMap: TE-Apartments?Name=Player?Team=255?minplayers=4?maxplayers=40
[0012.17] Log: Game class is 'ROGameInfoTerritories'
[0012.18] Log: NetMode is now 1
[0012.35] Log: Primary PhysX scene will be in software.
[0012.35] Log: Creating Primary PhysX Scene.
[0012.36] Log: Bringing World TE-Apartments.TheWorld up for play (20) at 2011.10.05-11.26.18
[0013.60] Log: Initializing Steam game server (Server ID is steam.90071992547409920)
[0013.62] ScriptLog: ROOnlineGameSettingsTerritories
[0013.62] ScriptLog: ROOnlineGameSettingsTerritories
[0013.62] ScriptLog: Inopt =  Options = ?Name=Player?Team=255?minplayers=4?maxplayers=40
[0013.64] ScriptLog: CAMPAIGN: ROGameInfo.InitGame - bCampaignGame=False ParsedCampaignOption=
[0013.64] ScriptLog: Initialize VoteCollector 9
[0016.04] ScriptLog: [Content Loading] ROGameInfo::PreBiginPlay() - Begin preloading shared content for ROMapInfo_0. Net mode = NM_DedicatedServer
[0016.04] ScriptLog: [ContentLoading] Preloading shared content for Axis team
[0016.05] ScriptLog: [ContentLoading] Preloading shared content for Allies team
[0016.07] ScriptLog: ROOnlineGameSettingsTerritories
[0016.07] ScriptLog: ROOnlineGameSettingsTerritories
[0016.28] ScriptLog: ROOnlineGameSettingsTerritories
[0016.28] ScriptLog: ROOnlineGameSettingsTerritories
[0016.29] ScriptLog: Web Server Created http://10.255.23.1:8080 Port: 8080 MaxCon 18 ExpirationSecs 86400 Enabled True
[0016.29] WebAdmin: Starting Red Orchestra 2 WebAdmin...
[0016.29] WebAdmin: Creating IWebAdminAuth instance from: MultiWebAdminAuth
[0016.29] WebAdmin: Creating ISessionHandler instance from: SessionHandler
[0016.29] WebAdmin: Updating news...
[0016.29] WebAdmin: No OnlineNewsInterface; news desk is unavailable
[0016.29] Log: Bringing up level for play took: 4.098669
[0016.29] Log: Flushing async loaders.
[0017.13] Log: Terrain::PostLoad> CachedMaterial failed to compile? Forcing re-compilation of materal TerrainMaterialResource:TMAT_cracked_concrete_M+TMAT_M_FOC_Dirt_DirtBase01
[0017.13] Log: Terrain::PostLoad> CachedMaterial failed to compile? Forcing re-compilation of materal TerrainMaterialResource:TMAT_Leaves_and_garbage_M+TMAT_cracked_concrete_M+TMAT_M_FOC_Dirt_DirtBase01
[0017.13] Log: Terrain::PostLoad> CachedMaterial failed to compile? Forcing re-compilation of materal TerrainMaterialResource:TMAT_Leaves_and_garbage_M+TMAT_artillery_hole_01_M+TMAT_cracked_concrete_M+TMAT_M_FOC_Dirt_DirtBase01
[0017.13] Log: Terrain::PostLoad> CachedMaterial failed to compile? Forcing re-compilation of materal TerrainMaterialResource:TMAT_artillery_hole_01_M+TMAT_cracked_concrete_M+TMAT_M_FOC_Dirt_DirtBase01
[0021.01] Log: ########### Finished loading level: 9.222459 seconds
[0021.02] Log: Initializing Game Engine Completed
[0021.18] Log: PunkBuster Server: ROGame.ROGameInfo PunkbusterServerProfile ROGame.ini = 2
[0021.18] Log: PunkBuster Server: pb_sv_SsNext = 921455 (0 to 999999)
[0021.19] Log: PunkBuster Server: pb_sv_LogNext = 18 (1 to 999999)
[0021.19] Log: PunkBuster Server: PB Log File C:\ro2\binaries\win32\pb\svlogs\00000018.log Opened for HOS (w)
[0021.19] Log: PunkBuster Server: 0 Power Players loaded from C:\ro2\binaries\win32\pb\pbpower.dat
[0021.19] Log: PunkBuster Server: 0 PB Rcon Filters loaded from C:\ro2\binaries\win32\pb\pbrcon.dat
[0021.19] Log: PunkBuster Server: 0 Map lines loaded from C:\ro2\binaries\win32\pb\pbsvmaps.cfg
[0021.19] Log: PunkBuster Server: Attempting to resolve master7.evenbalance.com
[0021.33] Log: PunkBuster Server: Resolved to [216.240.1

Upvote 0