• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Performance: CPU limitation and bad audio system?

poVoq

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 27, 2011
Just as a heads up to people who have given up on running RO2 smoothly on their rigs:

At least on my mobile i5 2.3ghz (which I would say isn't a bad CPU at all), I am pretty sure the performance problems originate in the CPU beeing maxxed out.

Case in point:

- I can crank up the graphics (with a geforce 550m btw) quite a bit without it affecting the more or less random low fps (or stuttering I get), but turning down the graphics to everything at the lowest doesn't change anything
- The only effect that speeded up the game to an almost stutter free feel was adjustung the audio settings! (e.g. quality low, channels 8).
- when checking the CPU usage while playing it is at 2.7ghz for both cores almost all the time

Now turning down the audio quality is of course a big pitty as the sound effects of RO2 are great... but I really feel this is the area where the developers need to focus on (besides other CPU optimisations) in order to solve the FPS problems people are getting.

It really isn't that the game runs bad overall... it just has these low fps spikes which at least intuitively happen exactly during situations when they really mess up your aim and reaction speed in urgent situations. And it is exatcly this feeling of loosing due to an performance problem all the time that makes people quit a game :-/
So I really hope this gets top priority for fixing by TW!

Rest assured that is one of the things we'll be looking into. Thanks for the heads up.
Good to know. Please also read my thoughts on the sound issue here.
A thought that the audio engine has to resample too many different frequencies, caused by RO2's samples having differences in bitrate and Hz. Then crumbles under the load. Maybe worth a look.

Last edited:
Reactions: [TW]redeye
Upvote 0
I'm going to try this out in a few although I'm not sure how this would affect me given that I have a dedicated Soundblaster Xfi.

To the poster above me, Ultra is a bad word and should not be used, we need more descriptive terms such as "Dedicated". If you offer an Ultra option, everyone is just going to turn it on cause they all want to be Ultra.

Reactions: [TW]redeye
Upvote 0