• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
The problem is with the class system - the total number of slots, including riflemen, exceeds the number of people in the server, even with 32 players on each side. This leads to well over half the team picking auto/semi auto based classes on full servers, and almost the whole team on smaller sized servers. I've been on several different servers; I think they're all pretty good, but I've yet to see a rifleman-class dominant server.

Did you read my post at all? If you don't want to play with large groups of people who fill a server with semi-autos and automatic weapons, then Don't Play With Those People.

We have lots of people who don't like that kind of game play, so why don't we start a community within RO2, setup servers for the community to play on, and kick those who don't want to play as part of the community?

Or do you mean that if I'm the last one in the server, I should get ZERO choice on what squad/weapon I have to play with?

The only problem here is the fact that people want to play with random players, and have those random players play their way. Guess what, it isn't going to happen. If you don't want to play with a given type of player, then Don't Play With Them. Take your ball, and go home, go find another field, and play with friends who want to play your game.

I'll come join you, we'll have fun, the devs won't have to do a single thing, and everyone else gets to keep playing the game the way they want to.

This issue is easily solved by the players themselves, and doesn't even require modding tools.

Upvote 0
Now Ramm assured me in-game that unlock options and sdk are still on the way, and I believe him because if we had to wait for it to be ready then I wouldn't be playing the game right now anyway. Once that's out, problem solved, if 90% of the servers want to rid of the numbers of submachine guns, then we can.
Encouraging news, even if it is merely hearsay. Roll on that day.
:D

Upvote 0
i realy dont canre about the nember of semis or smgs or what not

1 bullets is usualy fatal no matter what shot it

now semis do have a easier time hitting moving targets due to higher volume of fire but thats is the only diference everything else is just about who hits first

Problem being, that first rifle shot never seems to register as a hit. Just today, on Spartan, I'm 20 feet behind a running Russian. I put 2 G41's into his back, and neither register. He then realizes he's being shot at (well, technically he's had his spine & half his organs blown out, but that doesn't count if the hit reg says it didn't happen), stops, turns, goes prone. I lay a 3rd well aimed shot right at his head. THAT one doesn't register! He freaking one-shot kills me.... :mad:

Upvote 0
Instead of voting you down like a lot of people did I'm just going to point out that the problem most people have is not that smg's are overpowered (I don't mind their current accuracy), it's that there's too many of them for immersion, in real life a squad had their squad leader smg, an lmg, and a cloud of riflemen.

Actually, IRL in Stalingrad, maybe only HALF of squad leaders had MP40's, because they were in the middle of transitioning into that squad model. In all likelihood, at least as many SL's had Kar98's as MP40's. The IDEAL, target make-up at that time was SL with MP40 (as stocks permitted), ASL with Kar98, 5 riflemen with Kar98's, 1 machine gunner, 1 asst. lmg'er with a Kar98, and one ammo carrier with a Kar98. That's 8 Kar98's, 1 MP40 and 1 MG34 per squad. And let's not forget, the Wehrmacht was always short of MG34's, too ... many squads didn't have a machine gun team and sometimes shared one with another squad. Don't even get me going on the Mkb42(h) and it's magic appearance in RO2 as a regular issue weapon.

Upvote 0
I could stand to see less SMGs. But then I think some would just refocus on the semi-auto rifles. And if those were reduced, they'd say that too many people have side arms.

Some people are seriously not going to be happy until 80% of the team has rifles. And for that I think TWI is totally within their rights to say "Wait for mods."

Less SMGs would be a decent start though. I think 5/6 of my deaths from Germans come from automatic weapons on maps like Spartanovka, Apartments and Barracks.

And if the MKB is going to remain as good as it is right now, the Germans honestly do need a smaller selection of them. It is undeniably one of the easiest to handle weapons and there's almost no situation where a bolt action rifle does better.

Upvote 0
The Irony is the Numbers of automatics in RO2 is not that much diffrent than their RO1 levels, drop two assaults and your perfectly inline with many RO1 infantry maps.

The RO1 levels where often...
1x Commander
1x MG gunner
4x Assaults
2x Semis
1x Sniper
Rest Rifles (7 of them)

Though later on the servers where able to up the number of players, but the automatics remained at the same levels.

in RO2 you have on a 64 player server
1x Commander
4x Squad leaders
4x Machinegunners
4x Semi Autos
6x Assaults
2x Snipers
11x Riflemen

Dropping the units down to...
1x Commander
4x Squad leaders
4x Machinegunners
2x Semi autos
2x Assaults
2x Snipers
17x Rifles

Would bring the game to a much more accurate and roughly in line with RO1 levels (and compared to some RO1 maps less automatics -on Konigs platz, it was possible to only have a single rifle in the entire map...). It would also have more riflemen proportionally than RO1 did (at lest until the player counts where upped).

Upvote 0
Gotta remember that technically, the SL's count as assault for people who are sick of automatics. So that's +4. Engineers also get them, which is +3.

Engineers are only available on select maps (mostly tank maps), and the squad leaders where already factored in.

Their where RO1 maps where on the old 32 player servers, it was possible to have at lest one side if not both completely out fitted with automatic weapons. This was particularly true if tanks where involved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You know, if the game simply required each squad to be filled out one at a time....servers that aren't full wouldn't end up with the semi-auto and smg classes filled first and only 1 or 2 people being stuck with rifles.

Rifles are the majority in most squads. If you had to have at least squad 1 filled before roles in squad 2 opened up, and on, it may not effect the overall balance of weapons in a full server, but it would greatly tone down how many there are relative to players when the server isn't full.

Squad leader and commanders could be totally optional for "filling" the squad, as long as all the members of it are filled.

Upvote 0
You know, if the game simply required each squad to be filled out one at a time....servers that aren't full wouldn't end up with the semi-auto and smg classes filled first and only 1 or 2 people being stuck with rifles.

Rifles are the majority in most squads. If you had to have at least squad 1 filled before roles in squad 2 opened up, and on, it may not effect the overall balance of weapons in a full server, but it would greatly tone down how many there are relative to players when the server isn't full.

Squad leader and commanders could be totally optional for "filling" the squad, as long as all the members of it are filled.

Great idea! You fill out the riflemen in proportion, THEN you get the corresponding number of auto.

Upvote 0
Great idea! You fill out the riflemen in proportion, THEN you get the corresponding number of auto.

So, then everyone sits there doing nothing at the start of a game waiting for other people to be the 'suckers' who get stuck taking rifle, and then every scrambles to nab the SMGs/Snipers/MGs/etc as soon as they 'unlock'?

Sounds like an amazing improvement over current game play.

Upvote 0
So, then everyone sits there doing nothing at the start of a game waiting for other people to be the 'suckers' who get stuck taking rifle, and then every scrambles to nab the SMGs/Snipers/MGs/etc as soon as they 'unlock'?

Sounds like an amazing improvement over current game play.

Ok, so we keep the current, fabulously-fair system that people with the fastest computers automatically snag the autos every time, and everybody else gets stuck with bolties? Or, do we just chuck the bolties out the window and give everybody autos? The current number of autos is already unrealistic, and it's unfair that the fastest machine wins it every time. It's also hideous that if the server is underpopulated you have huge proportions of autos running aound. If you don't have a super-fast machine, when the next map loads, you're LUCKY if you can even get your hands on an elite rifle slot. Usually, your "choices" are bolt, anti-tank and (maybe) lmg.

Then you get stuck with the bolty, and have some control freak yelling "move up guys, advance advance!" while they have an auto (way to go, Rambo, grab a bolty, THEN you can be a bigmouth telling everyone else to be Rambo) and nobody's laid any smoke. You think I'm chugging it 50m on open ground at a building full of smg/mkb42 campers with a Moldy Nugget? Or worse yet, storming into a building full of them with a bolty, especially when the odds are that my first shot: (1) won't go on the first click because of the first shot bug; or, (2) won't register because of the bad short range hit detection? No way! I'm stuck camping in unlikely places hoping to pick stragglers off from a distance. It sucks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
He has somewhat of a point. Then again, rejecting ideas based on the people who are going to slum the system is usually not a good idea. Do we really care about lamers sitting in the role select menu for 10 minutes waiting for more people to join the server? I don't. They're lamers.

I think your average player will take a bolt if that's all that's offered, because they just want to get into the action. I've been successful plenty of times playing whole matches with nothing but the bolt. I think, eventually, the remaining RO2 players would have enough testicular fortitude it wouldn't be an issue.

Upvote 0
I agree that 2nd, and 3rd squad shouldn't open until first one is full and number of auto weapons per squad should be reduced as well as number of riflemen per squad.

I often see first squad full and only some unfortunate guys filling in the second squad after all other weapons are filled. The game needs to divide amount of basic riflemen between 1st and 2nd squad, so both officers can use decent manpower, because right now I often see 2/3 squad leaders, but only first squad full and able to make some tactical decisions. You don't order 2nd officer to defend or attack if all he has is 3-4 guys...

Last edited:
Upvote 0