• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
Simply put: how come less than 20% of the team uses rifles?
Simply answered: because there are far too many semis/automatics in this game.

Semis and Autos have a very shallow learning curve; once you've got the hang of short bursts and utilizing cover on your advance you can clock up dozens of kills. Bolters require more skill, simple as that. It takes a team of skilled Bolters to stop a team of average semi/auto-toters; vs a team of skilled semi/auto-toters the Bolters haven't got a chance.

Upvote 0

I'm pretty sure you know the answer yourself. Semi-autos and SMGs have wide availability and these weapons are far more versatile. Bolts will always have their use, especially since at 100m+ ranges they're more reliable (and damaging) than autos and SMGs. It's just that in RO2, instead of them being the bulk of your team like in ROOST, they're more of a specialty role, meant to pick off stragglers or snipe.

---

Upvote 0
"Because its more fun, and you have mod tools" would be TWI's response. We, the forumites are also less than 0.1% playing RO2 so our opinion doesnt really count.

TWI has a new community now.. those who ask how to mute voip when some1 tries to get some twrk going and make people cap/flank, those will neva buy any silly shirt of flask, these are the people they want, and there's lots of them.

Upvote 0
"Because its more fun, and you have mod tools" would be TWI's response. We, the forumites are also less than 0.1% playing RO2 so our opinion doesnt really count.

TWI has a new community now.. those who ask how to mute voip when some1 tries to get some twrk going and make people cap/flank, those will neva buy any silly shirt of flask, these are the people they want, and there's lots of them.
They are the people who get the huge amounts of cash flowing indeed.

Upvote 0
You bunch of crybabies.. So what if it appeals to the masses?
It makes your rifle class a little harder to play? Just be more cautious, be a tactician.
Just because someone else wants to use a machine gun, doesn't prevent you from killing them with your rifle. And don't even bring up the stupid "LASER SMG PEW PEW" argument, which is GREATLY exaggerated, and 95% of people in game struggle to pick me off past 60 meters when i'm running.

Treat it as if it's a challenge you must overcome.

Because personally I rarely use SMGs, they're boring to me. Extremely boring. And I kill countless of them every time I play.

It's simple: DO NOT EXPOSE YOURSELF TO THE LINE OF FIRE OF A MACHINE GUNNER, THEIR SPRAY IS DEADLY.

Instead, use cover -> pop out frequently -> hide frequently -> aim your shot.

Edit: lol I can't tell you how many times I have spotted a group of SMGers advanced far across the map, only to pick them off one by one with my rifle while they have no chance of shooting me as I pop out a window like a gopher. "Rifles are overpowered"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think one of my favourite aspects of RO was being part of the masses i.e a bolt-action rifleman. You where all the same and thus didnt feel left out. Seeing someone with an SMG / MG you knew they where someone special, you dreamt of the day you would enter the server first to nab the Sniper class or Assault class. Simply having an SMG made you feel like you where special forces compared to the rest of the grunts.

Its called a 'Challenge', thats what Ro:Ost was all about.

Sturm.

Upvote 0
Flat out saying 20% of the team is bolt action is dishonest. Sometimes you get on servers where riflemen are the majority simply because it is populated either by skilled players (awesome!) or it is full of people who just want to sit in their camp sniping away with iron sights to make themselves feel good and make their stats look impressive (not very awesome).

I am terrible with bolt-action rifles, but it is not so much a problem as I often play squad leader and so I have an SMG primarily for self-defense. Even if I'm forced to play bolt-action I'll be fighting within 50m from the enemy, going for bayonet kills as I can at least do that reliably.

Upvote 0
I think one of my favourite aspects of RO was being part of the masses i.e a bolt-action rifleman. You where all the same and thus didnt feel left out. Seeing someone with an SMG / MG you knew they where someone special, you dreamt of the day you would enter the server first to nab the Sniper class or Assault class. Simply having an SMG made you feel like you where special forces compared to the rest of the grunts.

Its called a 'Challenge', thats what Ro:Ost was all about.

Sturm.

^ This +1

Back when i started playing, the sniper rifles were always the first thing taken as it was just so much better then anything else. I had too much lag, so those times when I was fast enough to join a server and get it first were amazing. Those times I didnt, I used the bolt.

I much prefer those days. Right now everyone just dumps into assault and runs at you. I'd much rather the grander time of teams of bolts with 2 guys who had assault weapons and a single sniper.

An easy fix would be that theres only 2 squads open at the beginning, and new spots dont open until 1 squad fills. In this way, there is a fairly hard cap on assault weapons, encourages people to get into squads and makes a lot more sense then throwing 50 smgs at the enemy.

A man can dream...

Upvote 0

I voted yes on that one, but only because I know people would like it as an optional realism setting.
Not the type of server I would like to play on per se.
But hey, I like options as do many more.

Upvote 0
You bunch of crybabies.. So what if it appeals to the masses?
It makes your rifle class a little harder to play? Just be more cautious, be a tactician.

Instead of voting you down like a lot of people did I'm just going to point out that the problem most people have is not that smg's are overpowered (I don't mind their current accuracy), it's that there's too many of them for immersion, in real life a squad had their squad leader smg, an lmg, and a cloud of riflemen.

Now Ramm assured me in-game that unlock options and sdk are still on the way, and I believe him because if we had to wait for it to be ready then I wouldn't be playing the game right now anyway. Once that's out, problem solved, if 90% of the servers want to rid of the numbers of submachine guns, then we can. I can personally testify that at least one server will have disabled the assault class altogether (try to guess which one). And before someone says this is going too far, privates weren't issued smgs, and also if you don't believe me it will at least be a server for bolt-rifle kicks.

And on that note: Faster, faster with the SDK *whip*

Upvote 0
I'm very new to the game, only 2 days in... I'm trying to learn the maps and figure this game out so I haven't even noticed this problem. I only use the bolt action rifle, and kind of assumed most were doing the same.. but I guess I am wrong.

I'm a complete newbie to this game, but not fps's in general..
but... I manage to get plenty of kills taking caps or sitting back either way, you just have to adjust to the gun you use.

Upvote 0

Because you're playing on the wrong servers?

Seriously. I've been in full servers where we had basically everyone playing as riflemen.

What is wrong with having a choice of how you want to play? Don't like playing on servers where most people avoid the rifleman? Then don't play on servers that have that. Get a community of riflemen going, play on community servers, and enjoy the game. People who want to have their pew-pew-laser-AK-of-Doom can go off and be part of a different community in game, and they won't bother you on your servers. (And if they DO bother you, well that is why admins have the tools to ban people off their servers.)

And if someone starts a casual-community where players are encouraged to fill up the rifles and only take other weapons after, then please let me know. I would love to play with a regular crowd of players who won't demand I show up every Sunday and Wednesday evening and "Salute" the rank they gave themselves.

Upvote 0
The problem is with the class system - the total number of slots, including riflemen, exceeds the number of people in the server, even with 32 players on each side. This leads to well over half the team picking auto/semi auto based classes on full servers, and almost the whole team on smaller sized servers. I've been on several different servers; I think they're all pretty good, but I've yet to see a rifleman-class dominant server.

Upvote 0
Instead of voting you down like a lot of people did I'm just going to point out that the problem most people have is not that smg's are overpowered (I don't mind their current accuracy), it's that there's too many of them for immersion, in real life a squad had their squad leader smg, an lmg, and a cloud of riflemen.

Now Ramm assured me in-game that unlock options and sdk are still on the way, and I believe him because if we had to wait for it to be ready then I wouldn't be playing the game right now anyway. Once that's out, problem solved, if 90% of the servers want to rid of the numbers of submachine guns, then we can. I can personally testify that at least one server will have disabled the assault class altogether (try to guess which one). And before someone says this is going too far, privates weren't issued smgs, and also if you don't believe me it will at least be a server for bolt-rifle kicks.

And on that note: Faster, faster with the SDK *whip*

SMGs only for officers? that sounds like a dream...

heres to hoping Lockdown can be cut out too fingers crossed!

Upvote 0