• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Playing with 300ms ping?

Hi!

I like this game a lot. I'm from Spain and I want to play with someone who actually is in Argentina.

So I want to know before he buys the game, what do you think about playing with 300ms ping? it is possible without too many problems? it's very annoying?

We play together flight sims (IL-2 Sturmovik) without problems. He can shoot planes in dogfight and fly in formation without problems with 300 ms ping. Can it be very different in a first person shooter?

I'm playing a bit in servers which I have 300ms ping, but I would like to know your opinions.

Thank you, and sorry for my bad english.

Hi!

I like this game a lot. I'm from Spain and I want to play with someone who actually is in Argentina.

So I want to know before he buys the game, what do you think about playing with 300ms ping? it is possible without too many problems? it's very annoying?

We play together flight sims (IL-2 Sturmovik) without problems. He can shoot planes in dogfight and fly in formation without problems with 300 ms ping. Can it be very different in a first person shooter?

I'm playing a bit in servers which I have 300ms ping, but I would like to know your opinions.

Thank you, and sorry for my bad english.

It will be unplayable passed 100ms

Upvote 0
I have a crappy ISP and I used to get 140-160 pings for RO1. Now I'm getting 180 on a good server with 30-40 players. Once we go up to 50 and more players, it's 200 and 220 for a full 64 p server, but it spikes sometimes, making me #1 speedhacker in town.

Beyond 230 I find it hardly playable. 250 is probably the absolute limit I can consider before quitting the server.

Upvote 0
As long as the connection is consistent and doesn't fluctuate too much, it's managable. Hitting moving targets will require more lead, and you'll be at a disadvantage in any quick-draw contests, but RO2 is slow enough paced that 100ms here or there doesn't make or break anything. The twitch situations that do occur are infrequent and are better off handled by better positioning or preparation than simply hoping to out-twitch the enemy.

Upvote 0
i'm argentinian, and i usually play in servers with 190-250 ping.

You'd better not like bolts, because your bullets will be noticeable slower. I mean like in a joke. Its literally a damn blowpipe, the bullet takes almost half a second to leave the barrel, and you have to lead after that. Shooting moving targets is out of the question. Its impossible. Some lag compensation should be in order for high pings, i think. I can deal with the hate, just give me some chance in cqc against lower ping ones.

I usuallyplay mgs, assault or elite rifle men, which let me double tap or get some slow reacting guys in cqc. There i can get to the top quarter of the table, but as a boltie i've yet to even figure in it. Doesnt matter anyway, as there are usually only 5 or 6 bolts around, and i can pick an mkb or a svt from almost anywhere.

Answering you question, yes, the ping is very noticeable, but if you use the right classes, you'll still be able to play.

Saludos!
(ahora me doy cuenta que podria haber escrito esto en espa

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was played a bit with 300 ping awhile ago since the server near my location weren't patched yet. You'll only be able to kill people by ambushing and hitting moving targets will be hopeless for slow-firing weapons. Close combat is murder, you'll always get shot first even if it looks like you and your target fired at the same time.

Upvote 0
I am surprised, after read your answers I though that playing with 300ms ping would be hell, but playing in 300ms servers for a while, everything went reasonably well for me, using bolts, I even killed some guys in movement and some others with the bayonet :)

He made his own tests in "Team Fortress" with similar restuls from mines.

We guess that we will notice some lag problems in the long term sometimes, but we think it worth that, so he'll go for RO2 :IS2:

Thank you for your answers!

Saludos!

Upvote 0
I started playing Ro1 with between 350 and 500 ping, and still loved the game enough for it to become one of my favourites.

Seeing as the hit detection is the same in Ro2, he will probably have the same experience as me, my advice? go for it.

some tips:
1) If using a rifle, shoot the wall in front of you and sound out the difference between firing and impact (bang-bang, this will cement the ping time in your head), then when firing on a runner, lead such that they will run through where you shot on the second sound.
2) Remember, they have almost a half second drop on you, surprise is key, play tactically and don't get stuck in close quarters, you will never win.
3) Try not to spray and pray, I found bolts a bit nicer than sub-machine guns because they forced me to think about ping, and when I was thinking I could lead properly.

I would make a 4th note, focus on maps such as Berezina, but the maps in Ro2 are all very small in comparison to Ro1, Fallen Fighters would probably end up being your favourite map if you were a high pinger.

Upvote 0
I was beta testing HoS on 300-380 ping and while it's definitely playable, it's difficult. You will be at a severe disadvantage with that level of latency and ideally you'd want to have an automatic weapon and not get into close combat situations, because a low pinging player will run circles around you without ever having to worry about getting shot.

IL2 uses client side hit detection, which is why it's playable on a high ping. Very little changes in that time in a flight sim, so it's not a big deal. For a first person shooter though, a lot can happen in just 300ms and RO2 does not use any form of lag compensation (which I am happy about by the way). Essentially, the game will be playable but you may find it somewhat frustrating at times.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your answers! :) (I wrote a post yesterday, but it's lost :confused:)

After your opinions and some testing, I think that is possible to enjoy playing with that ping. Testing I killed some guys with bolt rifle, and even with the bayonet, and it went pretty well.

I guess that it will be problems sometimes, but we think it worth that, so he's going for it! :IS2:

Thanks!

Saludos!

Upvote 0
Pings are the #1 issue for me at this point. It's starting to eclipse everything else.

The game is simply not fun when you have to lead people by 5-7 feet who are running and when CQC feels like a random mess.

No one plays on the west coast most of the day so I usually have to settle for Chicago or Dallas servers which would be fine in any other game, but in this almost every server doubles your ping in game.

It's a rarity that I'm playing with a ping less than 150, and from the Reno NV area to Dallas, that's ridiculous. Something is wrong with the game's netcode and it needs to be fixed.

Reactions: DiBBs
Upvote 0
I've been having extraordinary problems with ping as of late.

The server list says the servers i join are 50-70 ping, (i only join servers with ping under 80 in the server list) However when i get in the server, my ping, along with everyone elses on the score list, ranges from 120-250 ping. The game is virtually unplayable, in every server i join.

What is going on?

Upvote 0