• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

More historical loadouts for Realism mode

More historical loadouts for Realism mode

• Yes

Votes: 658 95.1%
  • No

Votes: 34 4.9%

• Total voters
Just checked RO1s loadouts
The typical load out seemed to have 1x squad leader, 1x MG, 2x Semi autos & 4x Assault (an a sniper rifle if available). Or roughly half the team should have something other than a bolt action rifle.
Never mind the fact that on many maps where tanks are present the ratio (for the Germans at lest) increases by roughly 3 more SMGs (2x PAK and a Engineer).

The Atypical RO2 load out AFAIK is
5x Commanders with SMGs (or semis)
4x Assault troopers (SMGs)
4x MGs
4x Semi auto riflemen
2x Snipers

Then theirs tank fighting with 2x Semi auto ATRs and 2x Engineers (IIRC)

This is effectively the same ratios as RO1 had. Which for some odd reason many are saying is more realistic on the load outs. Well their wrong. Though it may have seemed like it when the servers managed to get upgraded to handle 64 players... (however a single squad leader and one or two MGs for a "platoon" of 32 men is not very historically accurate in any case. RO2 in fact has the historically accurate numbers for these two roles in a "platoon").

---------------------------
This is what the loadouts of the maps where
Note it's perfectly possible for Tank crews to be used as "infantry".

Baksan Valley
Squad leader =1 (or SL)
MG =1
Semi =2
Assault = 2

6x Automatic weapons out of 16

Basovka
SL =1
MG =1
Semi =2
Assault =4 (Russian =3)
Sniper =1

7 or 8 automatics out of 16 (Sans Snipers)

Danzig
SL =1
MG =1
Sniper =1
Semi =2
Assault =4

8 out of 16

Koningsburg platz
SL =1
MG =1 (Russian =2)
Assault =4
Semi =2
Sniper =1
Eng =1 (Russian =2)
PAK =2 (zero on russian)
Tank Crew =2 (Russian =5)
Tank leader =1

12 out of 16

Lyes Krovy

SL =1
Assault =4 (Russian =11 +1 sniper)
Semi =2
MG =2

9 or 15 out of 16

Kaukasus
SL =1
Semi =1
Assault =1
MG =1

4 out of 16

Hedgehog
SL =1
MG =1
Semi =2
Assault =4
PAK =2 (Russian PAKs do not have SMGs though)
Sniper =1
Tank Crew =2 (Russian =1)
Tank Leader =1

9 or 11 out of 16

Fallen Heros
SL =1
MG =2 (Russian =1)
Semi =1 (Russian =2)
Assault =4
Eng =1
PAK =2 (both sides have PTRDs, no SMGs)
Tank Crew =3 (Russian =2)
Tank Leader =1

10 out of 16

Stalingrad Kessel
SL = 1
MG = 2 (Russian =1)
Semi = 2
Assault = 4 (Russian +2 Eng)
Sniper = 1

9 or 10 out of 16

Krasnyi oktobr
SL =1
MG =1
Semi =1 (Russian =2)
Assault =3
Sniper =1

6 or 7 out of 16

Odessa

SL =1
MG =1
Semi =2
Assault =2
Sniper =1

6 out of 16

Rakowice

SL =1
MG =1
Semi =3
Assault =1
PAK =2
Eng =1 (Russian =2)
Sniper =1
Tank Crew =4
Tank Leader =1

9 or 10 out of 16

Last edited:
Reactions: clambo
Upvote 0
The typical load out seemed to have 1x squad leader, 1x MG, 2x Semi autos & 4x Assault (an a sniper rifle if available). Or roughly half the team should have something other than a bolt action rifle.
Never mind the fact that on many maps where tanks are present the ratio (for the Germans at lest) increases by roughly 3 more SMGs (2x PAK and a Engineer).

4x MGs
4x Semi auto riflemen
2x Snipers

This is effectively the same ratios as RO1 had. Which for some odd reason many are saying is more realistic on the load outs. Well their wrong. Though it may have seemed like it when the servers managed to get upgraded to handle 64 players... (however a single squad leader and one or two MGs for a "platoon" of 32 men is not very historically accurate in any case. RO2 in fact has the historically accurate numbers for these two roles in a "platoon").

Baksan Valley
Squad leader =1 (or SL)
MG =1
Semi =2
Assault = 2

Basovka
SL =1
MG =1
Semi =2
Assault =4 (Russian =3)
Sniper =1

Danzig
SL =1
MG =1
Sniper =1
Semi =2
Assault =4

8 out of 16

Koningsburg platz
SL =1
MG =1 (Russian =2)
Assault =4
Semi =2
Sniper =1
Eng =1 (Russian =2)
PAK =2 (zero on russian)
Tank leader =1

12 out of 16

Lyes Krovy
SL =1
Semi =2
MG =2

9 or 15 out of 16

Kaukasus
SL =1
Semi =1
Assault =1
MG =1

4 out of 16

Hedgehog
SL =1
MG =1
Semi =2
Assault =4
Sniper =1
Tank Leader =1

9 or 11 out of 16

Fallen Heros
SL =1
MG =2 (Russian =1)
Semi =1 (Russian =2)
Assault =4
Eng =1
Tank Leader =1

10 out of 16

Stalingrad Kessel
SL = 1
MG = 2 (Russian =1)
Semi = 2
Sniper = 1

9 or 10 out of 16

Krasnyi oktobr
SL =1
MG =1
Semi =1 (Russian =2)
Assault =3
Sniper =1

6 or 7 out of 16

Odessa
SL =1
MG =1
Semi =2
Assault =2
Sniper =1

6 out of 16

Rakowice
SL =1
MG =1
Semi =3
Assault =1
PAK =2
Eng =1 (Russian =2)
Sniper =1
Tank Crew =4
Tank Leader =1

9 or 10 out of 16

what game u playin? on most servers i see theres 6 assault slots open

Upvote 0
So everyone voting in here for increased realism is certain that squads weren't outfitted with similar weapons in real life? (minus the mkb and other rare weapons- I agree there) I certainly am not an expert, but I would think that smgs would be a popular choice in urban environments...
It's not about popularity, but what was actually on hand. You go to war with the equipment you have, not what you wish you had.

Upvote 0
what game u playin? on most servers i see theres 6 assault slots open

Ah so theirs 2 more Assaults, for 19 Automatics. Was not quite sure if it was 4 or 6.
This however dose not change much
It's on par with maps like Lyes Krovy and Stalingrad Kessel.

However the point is RO1 loadouts where not that much different than their RO2 load outs in terms of automatics.

To bring RO2 to more inline with RO1s numbers of automatics, all you need is four assault Class and three semi auto class (for a total of 16 out of 32)...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
im really excited when TWI will start doing something! its like every single of the polls concerning realism, against unlocks, against massive semi weapons turns out like this poll, but no changes made yet, not even a statement or anything <.<....
And that should give you a hint about what things they possibly will address or take as a serious concern from the community.

Here is just an example of what John thinks about having no lockdown:
Yes because it was SO much fun in RO1 to be stuck defending an objective for 15-60 minutes ;) It's so much better to be bored for a very long time attacking an objective when the teams are stacked, or defending an objective forever when the attacking team can't get momentum. Those were the days...
And now look at some threads/polls asking for the possibility to disable that feature. What are the chances if the president of the company has this standpoint about a feature? ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Re no Lockdown: I agree with Ramm, it isn't fun having to sit out an hour in a certain losing position. The fundamental idea behind Lockdown isn't a flawed one; however, its current implementation is. I think most rational players would agree that it needs significant tweaks rather than removing entirely. (There is a poll on this matter and at time of posting only ~15% of the community like Lockdown the way it is now.)

Back on target...

96% support from the community (at time of posting) for putting the 'real' back into 'realism' has almost certainly provoked serious thought among the devs; honestly, how could it not. At least there has been no flat out or even implied rejection of these results. That being said, a simple, 'we're considering it,' would do much to sate our concerns.

Upvote 0
Don't lay down this thread, it is much more important than any others ones.
I mean, how many of us want our RO game with improved mechanics, not a Machigunner irrealistic game with improved mechanics?

I mean, if they dont play on their "ground" of historical fps game, tripwire is gonna loose their fans, because if we want to play automatic guns games only, we'll just left this game for BF3 or CoD 4 for others, to get this feelings.

And for times to times go back to ro2 just for the trip of being in ww2, but how can tripwire can keep its community at bay of its ennormous concurents, if they basically change drasticaly their way of historical fps that everyone has been looking for.

Because yea, we all crawl for this, "historical" with realism and all that goes around. Thats pretty cool u guyz improved the game and such as mechanics, but stop with the SMG spams, thats too much.

Guyz just keep bumping this one it could save this community primary fans.

Upvote 0
Lock down sucks ***, and as far as I could tell defending an objective on RO:Ost for 15-60 mins was actually very fun knowing that the attackers were trying their hardest to push you back but they just couldnt break your defence. I remember times where you would be defending the last objective after the other team had pushed you back in the first 5 minutes and then when your team wins a whole cheer go's up over the comms and lots of genuine GG's etc etc, I miss those days and hate todays RO2's run and gun game play.

Reactions: Leo4444
Upvote 0
I mean, if they dont play on their "ground" of historical fps game, tripwire is gonna loose their fans, because if we want to play automatic guns games only, we'll just left this game for BF3 or CoD 4 for others, to get this feelings.

Part of what I liked so much about RO:O was the variety of gameplay on offer. You could go from a map full of bolts with medium range fights to long range combined arms maps with semi's and smg's being less useful unless you managed to get yourself into a forward position, to close range meat grinders like Lyes Krovy or several others. The guns were better balanced and more difficult to use..it just added to the game and without stuff like zoom and rapid fire rail guns people were more inclined to push forward.

If RO2 would have at least half the maps with a decent amount of bolts and reduced fantasy weapons that would be fine. The gameplay with semis and smgs isn't awful to me, I just feel less satisfaction when I get kills on those maps its just not what got me interested in RO originally. If RO2 came out by a different company with bad graphics when Ostfront was around, it would be ignored as the inferior game imo. Needs more recoil or other difficulty factors to counterbalance the instant iron sights, zoom and other ways TW tried to use realism to make the game easier

Last edited:
Upvote 0

4x MGs
4x Semi auto riflemen
2x Snipers

Baksan Valley
Squad leader =1 (or SL)
MG =1
Semi =2
Assault = 2

Basovka
SL =1
MG =1
Semi =2
Assault =4 (Russian =3)
Sniper =1

Danzig
SL =1
MG =1
Sniper =1
Semi =2
Assault =4

8 out of 16

Koningsburg platz
SL =1
MG =1 (Russian =2)
Assault =4
Semi =2
Sniper =1
Eng =1 (Russian =2)
PAK =2 (zero on russian)
Tank leader =1

12 out of 16

Lyes Krovy

SL =1
Semi =2
MG =2

9 or 15 out of 16

Kaukasus
SL =1
Semi =1
Assault =1
MG =1

4 out of 16

Hedgehog
SL =1
MG =1
Semi =2
Assault =4
Sniper =1
Tank Leader =1

9 or 11 out of 16

Fallen Heros
SL =1
MG =2 (Russian =1)
Semi =1 (Russian =2)
Assault =4
Eng =1
Tank Leader =1

10 out of 16

Stalingrad Kessel
SL = 1
MG = 2 (Russian =1)
Semi = 2
Sniper = 1

9 or 10 out of 16

Krasnyi oktobr
SL =1
MG =1
Semi =1 (Russian =2)
Assault =3
Sniper =1

6 or 7 out of 16

Odessa

SL =1
MG =1
Semi =2
Assault =2
Sniper =1

6 out of 16

Rakowice

SL =1
MG =1
Semi =3
Assault =1
PAK =2
Eng =1 (Russian =2)
Sniper =1
Tank Crew =4
Tank Leader =1

9 or 10 out of 16

killing power of semi-autos/automatics in RO:Ost thanks to sway, recoil, no zoom vs killing power of bolt action rifles was balanced.

killing power of semi-autos/automatics in RO:HoS thanks to no sway, no recoil, 2x zoom, instant IS mode is over 9000.

also in roost weapons loadout didn't increase with the number of players (50 maximum, so it was roughly 20-30% as average of automatics and not 50-60% or more).

RO:Ost gameplay was completly different, even a hypothetical map with half autos and half bolts would have been balanced thanks to the very good gameplay/realism compromise they achieved.

In RO:HoS all of this disappears, giving space for the fast spaced arcade world of fps.

I mean they could have called this game just Heroes of Stalingrad, the red orchestra tag just feels so wrong according to me.

Upvote 0
killing power of semi-autos/automatics in RO:Ost thanks to sway, recoil, no zoom vs killing power of bolt action rifles was balanced.

killing power of semi-autos/automatics in RO:HoS thanks to no sway, no recoil, 2x zoom, instant IS mode is over 9000.

also in roost weapons loadout didn't increase with the number of players (50 maximum, so it was roughly 20-30% as average of automatics and not 50-60% or more).

RO:Ost gameplay was completly different, even a hypothetical map with half autos and half bolts would have been balanced thanks to the very good gameplay/realism compromise they achieved.

In RO:HoS all of this disappears, giving space for the fast spaced arcade world of fps.

I mean they could have called this game just Heroes of Stalingrad, the red orchestra tag just feels so wrong according to me.

The last sentence is just epic

Upvote 0

I doubt tripwire will lose its fans, mainly because mods will come out at some point and we will be able to get something more approaching what we had hoped for (and been led to believe would be given to us). What tripwire has lost is mainly the trust of the community, as they flat out lied in several cases in regards to the availability of prototype weapons and so on.

Frankly I will never pre-order another game from Tripwire, especially RO3 if it ever comes out. I just can't trust what the guys at TWI say anymore. Will wait to read the forums to see what people say.

Reactions: Oldih
Upvote 0
Come on, TWI. You've pandered enough to the arcade crowd. You can't ignore the realism crowd forever; don't turn your back on the people who have been playing RO for five years or more. Give us a proper realism mode. Unless you want to lose (more than) half your playerbase, that is.

Please use the five minutes it takes to let us know about your plans, and a lot of us will be a lot less worried. Or will you do it 'the lazy way' and let modders do it?

By the way: I think prototype weapons shouldn't be part of a realism mode at all.

Upvote 0
Ah so theirs 2 more Assaults, for 19 Automatics. Was not quite sure if it was 4 or 6.
This however dose not change much
It's on par with maps like Lyes Krovy and Stalingrad Kessel.

However the point is RO1 loadouts where not that much different than their RO2 load outs in terms of automatics.

To bring RO2 to more inline with RO1s numbers of automatics, all you need is four assault Class and three semi auto class (for a total of 16 out of 32)...

and half of 32 players (one team) is 16 players therefor more then half of the players on any given team have some kind of automatic rifle or SMG.
RO1 the automatic weapons were rediclously hard to use so there was always less people useing them. it kinda give people a false impression comparing the two games on auto/semi weapons, they were almost impossible to control in RO1 really nothing like RO2.

Upvote 0
Personally I'm starting to feel this is the only way to change the game now. Either a separate mode, mods/mutators or nothing, as this is the game they wanted to make and people do like it. So I'm not too keen on them changing "standard" mode based on forum feedback as they then may have another group start posting about how they've now ruined the game with the new changes.

If the mod and Ostfront never existed I don't know how I would feel about this game. So its hard to know how people coming to RO2 as their first RO experience see it. If they like it and its the game TWI want then maybe there should just be an option for purists who want a more Ostfront type experience with a separate game mode. Or mods/mutators

Upvote 0