• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Accuracy needs to be reduced on ALL the weapons ingame

To all,

Don't get carried away and stay to the topic.
Fact is, every soldier in RO2 is a robot and every gun is too accurate.

Now one thing that is not completely covered in this already extensive thread is gun accuracy (minus the aiming!). EVERY rifle in the game except SMGs, MGs and pistols shoots like a bench rest gun.
Consider this IRL scenario; weapon wear, production quality (especially for soviet guns), completely stock ammo, also consider that soviet ammo had steel casings and other shortcuts.
Yet every gun, both semi and bolt, shoots like a benchrest gun with match-grade handloaded ammo!
One good example of IRL actual precision is this:
Mosin nagant sniper > Regular mosin nagant > SVT/AVT
The first had tighter tolerances and had hand-picked chromed barrels, second had looser tolerances and regular barrels, and the third actually WARPS (the barrel) when fired in slo-mo video due to gas piston position and barrel thickness.
That does not exist in game!

Remember that in RO there was bullet spread for S/A sniper rifles? Now where is that now? Where is bullet spread for ANY rifles?
As far as I know the only thing we have atm is some sway depending on positions.
Some people say here "hit a guy at 200 is easy both in game and IRL" well how about me picking HALF a helmet barely visible over a wall at over 200m with a Mosin? Is that realistic in any way? Probably possible, but not again and again.

Vids or it didn't happen.

I've never shot a helmet in game from 200 yards. I'll catch an exposed runner at 200 yards from time to time, but it's hardly every time.

I want some goddamn videos of this happening. If not, you guys are using ridiculous amounts of hyperbole and the only conclusion I can draw is that you're just butthurt because you keep getting shot.

Seriously, vids or it didn't happen. Show me you getting several kill shots in a span of 1-10 minutes, unedited, between a range of 200+ meters from enemies in cover.

Seriously, enough of this ****. I want some proof that these killshots happen as often as you guys say. If not, you need to stop using this flawed *** argument.

Upvote 0
To all,

Don't get carried away and stay to the topic.
Fact is, every soldier in RO2 is a robot and every gun is too accurate.

Says you.

Now one thing that is not completely covered in this already extensive thread is gun accuracy (minus the aiming!). EVERY rifle in the game except SMGs, MGs and pistols shoots like a bench rest gun.

I don't know about you, but I can personally hold a Mosin pretty steady for a minute or so. Of course i'm not running around a square km with 30lb of gear on my back, but then i'm not trained to endure that stuff either.

Consider this IRL scenario; weapon wear, production quality (especially for soviet guns), completely stock ammo, also consider that soviet ammo had steel casings and other shortcuts.

Their is no realistic way to design those details into the game. If their was, I can tell you pretty conclusively that no one gives a ****.

Yet every gun, both semi and bolt, shoots like a benchrest gun with match-grade handloaded ammo!

Ok look, i'm a gun-nerd too, so I actually know what you're talking about. This kind of stuff is *unreasonable* for the kind of game RO is.

One good example of IRL actual precision is this:
Mosin nagant sniper > Regular mosin nagant > SVT/AVT
The first had tighter tolerances and had hand-picked chromed barrels, second had looser tolerances and regular barrels, and the third actually WARPS (the barrel) when fired in slo-mo video due to gas piston position and barrel thickness.
That does not exist in game!

Thank christ!

Some people say here "hit a guy at 200 is easy both in game and IRL" well how about me picking HALF a helmet barely visible over a wall at over 200m with a Mosin? Is that realistic in any way? Probably possible, but not again and again.

It's nice to be lucky isn't it?

Upvote 0
This is Stupid!!!

This is Stupid!!!

Okay guys, judge this post for yourself...

Some people are saying that the guns are to accurate while others say they are just right. I don't give a damn if your an expert marksman because guess what, SO AM I!

My point is this, in combat, you react a lot differently under fire than at the shooting range so before you post again, just think that over.

I'm not saying I want to hear from a real combat veteran although that would be nice. What I am saying is that you should probably confer with one or just remember your first fist fight at school before you post.

Thanks, Stubs.

Upvote 0
Okay guys, judge this post for yourself...

Some people are saying that the guns are to accurate while others say they are just right. I don't give a damn if your an expert marksman because guess what, SO AM I!

My point is this, in combat, you react a lot differently under fire than at the shooting range so before you post again, just think that over.

I'm not saying I want to hear from a real combat veteran although that would be nice. What I am saying is that you should probably confer with one or just remember your first fist fight at school before you post.

Thanks, Stubs.

Well, if I try to take my time and line up my shot in game, hoss, I get my head taken off. We -do- have combat stresses in-game. Folks are shooting back at us. It may not simulate the physical stresses on our body, but we still have to worry about everyone else taking shots at us, hoss.

Upvote 0
I actually agree with the "vid or it didn't happen" regarding 200 meter kills on enemies in cover. That is just too damn unlikely to happen often.

I can pull it off with MG at Fallen Fighters but that's because 1) I'm not under any fire 2) I take my sweet *** time to setup my aim, aka like 10 seconds 3) the other guy is just sitting there 4) my gun is shot with bipads deployed.

Basically, this is not the "ZOMG SPRINT W/ NO STAM THEN ADS FOR HEADSHOT ACROSS THE MAP LOLZ".

Upvote 0
I can pull it off with MG at Fallen Fighters but that's because 1) I'm not under any fire 2) I take my sweet *** time to setup my aim, aka like 10 seconds 3) the other guy is just sitting there 4) my gun is shot with bipads deployed.

Basically, this is not the "ZOMG SPRINT W/ NO STAM THEN ADS FOR HEADSHOT ACROSS THE MAP LOLZ".

Basically wht I had in mind.

I can make rifle kills on FF at 180-200 meters too, but it is not easy at all.

Upvote 0
Well, if I try to take my time and line up my shot in game, hoss, I get my head taken off. We -do- have combat stresses in-game. Folks are shooting back at us. It may not simulate the physical stresses on our body, but we still have to worry about everyone else taking shots at us, hoss.

Well said.

I'm talking more about the physical side of combat stress. I think (my own personal, non-valid opinion) that suppression should have greater effects and wear off slower, same with stamina.

Of course, I only gather this opinion because I have been in several life threatening events and it takes a long time for the adrenaline to wear off.

Thanks, Stubs.

Upvote 0
I don't think the guns themselves are unrealistically accurate, but the shooter's ability to aim is way beyond what's realistic. When you ADS, your view locks to perfectly line up with the sights. In real life, being off by just a millimeter will throw the shot off by a significant amount, and it's hard to line up perfectly on the sight in less than a second like you can in the game. And furthermore, it's physically impossible to focus on both the target and the weapon's sights simultaneously, making it harder to keep lined up on a moving target- and all of the above is understandably harder when taking return fire.

The guns may be as accurate as their real life counterparts, but when it comes to bolt-action rifles, the gun is more accurate than the sights or the shooter, and that's not represented in-game. For the shorter-ranged automatics it's not quite as true, although the recoil is unrealistically weak on even the MP40 and PPSh.

Upvote 0
1. Maps. 64 players on smallish maps (huge compared to CoD but tiny compared to ArmA2). Objective zones are even smaller. Cramming 64 players with constant reinforcements to small zone results in bloodbath, especially when there are not many flanking options between objective zones.

2. Timers. 20 minute timer for locations that were fought over for days IRL. Add 4 minute Lockdown timers to this. How can you expect team of 32 random players who don't know each other to start working together as squads, have some plan of attack and succeed taking their objective in just 4 minutes!?

IMHO gunplay mechanics are fine and the real culprit to run'n'gun gameplay are those two above. I expect this to change with larger community made maps and combined arms maps.

Totally agree.

Yup, at 200m a kill on FF on a moving target is not easy. "Magic" rifle accuracy or not. :p The weapons are fine.

I'd like to see players have some mass so the instant full sprint to stop to ADS takes a while.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wouldn't it be easier then if one group of people says they're too accurate and one says they're fine, make two seperate configs for servers. A realism config containing a few other changes that have been suggested in other posts and a normal vanilla config ...which is basically what we have now.

That would be giving the realism servers unrealistically inaccurate weapons. That's the whole point of the discussion.

Upvote 0
That would be giving the realism servers unrealistically inaccurate weapons. That's the whole point of the discussion.

Actually, it would be keeping the same realistically accurate weapons, and giving realistically inaccurate shooters, which the game currently completely lacks. See if you can perfectly sight in on a moving target in less than a second with a real bolt-action rifle and you'll understand why the game in its current state isn't realistic.

Upvote 0
I don't think the guns themselves are unrealistically accurate, but the shooter's ability to aim is way beyond what's realistic. When you ADS, your view locks to perfectly line up with the sights. In real life, being off by just a millimeter will throw the shot off by a significant amount, and it's hard to line up perfectly on the sight in less than a second like you can in the game. And furthermore, it's physically impossible to focus on both the target and the weapon's sights simultaneously, making it harder to keep lined up on a moving target- and all of the above is understandably harder when taking return fire.

The guns may be as accurate as their real life counterparts, but when it comes to bolt-action rifles, the gun is more accurate than the sights or the shooter, and that's not represented in-game. For the shorter-ranged automatics it's not quite as true, although the recoil is unrealistically weak on even the MP40 and PPSh.

Completely agree.

Upvote 0
But why are you wasting bullets when there's no chance of a kill? That's horribly unrealistic tactics. I mean, I can understand spraying at flimsy cover to try and take advantage of bullet penetration, but if they're behind a thick stone or earth wall all you're doing is making it so you have to reload sooner. This is -exactly- what I mean by bad tactics. You're expending ammunition and all you'd be doing in real life is giving away your position and letting them count the bullets till your next reload.

But that's what soldiers did in real life. Soldiers also weren't really able to count your bullets because you would usually have some buddies next to you also "plinking bullets" at them.

I'm not making this up. Go read any statistics on the average amount of bullets it took to kill an enemy in Vietnam and WW2. It was in the hundreds if not thousands of bullets. Why? Because soldiers valued their life more than bullets, and they knew that they would rather throw bullets the way of the enemy than give him even the slightest chance of being able to lay accurate fire on them. The problem is that you are thinking of a video game and the rules of a video game, not what happened in real life. In Darkest Hour, where suppression actually had an effect on the enemy's ability to engage (which is what happened in real life), wasting bullets worked, and I developed an entire training system around it and it made me and my guys incredibly successful at that game when it came down to engagements.

But hoss, the good aiming in this game is -exactly- what makes realistic suppression works, and it's far more realistic than blurry screen filters or slowed movement. You know that if you were to expose yourself, even partly, to an enemy less than 100m away you're likely to get killed. They know that too. If random sway patterns and bullet spread were introduced, suddenly they'd have to up the suppression effect, and we're rolling on down arcadey road again. It's precisely because a rifleman doesn't struggle to hit a target under 100m that you feel suppressed, and that you think twice about charging their position head on.

What that means is that everyone is a sniper. The only people who had that kind of an ability to suppress were snipers. How realistic is that? The fact of the matter is that you're changing the nature of suppression because other parts of the game are unrealistic, so you make it entirely about accuracy and never about volume. Naturally, this disparity in how real suppression worked changes the nature of suppression and firefights.

And please, at no point have I mentioned bullet spread, that is a bad strategy to implement because then all it means is that the player can skillfully aim his weapon each time and get different results. That's terrible. I want players to have to think about cover and movement, so make their weapon sway just a little more when they don't have it supported. Have you noticed how many people just run around now and shoot from unsupported positions? I certainly don't remember that happening this often in Darkest Hour. RO1 might have had unrealistic sway, but it achieved the goal of rewarding players for tactical play and they sought cover to rest their weapon on more often than what we are seeing in RO2. Recoil is just another way of achieving this and player can learn to adjust for it.

No, of course wanting to return fire isn't unrealistic, and you should always attempt to return fire. "Returning fire" is not plinking bullets off their cover, though. You need to learn how to return fire properly, like real soldiers would.

For example, the first thing I learned is never pop out of the same place you took cover. They'll be waiting for you, and they'll kill you. It's the same in real life. Soldiers are trained to crawl as far as they can, hidden from enemy view, behind their cover before popping out several meters from where they took cover. This was unnecessary in RO1, as you were protected by sway and spread, so you could rely on unrealistic, bad tactics to survive. Now, you need to out-think your enemy. You can't rely on practiced marksmanship to win your firefights.

And the best part is, if you can get the drop on your enemy and engage him while he's framed in his nice little window aiming at where you -were-, you don't need to be a twitch shooter. He's wasn't expecting you to return fire, so you have a perfect opportunity to kill him.

There are a myriad of other things you can use. For example, never pop over cover, as it skylines you and makes you easy to spot. Prone is your best friend, even if you're behind cover, as it minimizes your silhouette and provides the most stable firing platform.

I have taught that technique for quite a while now. When engaging, you always pop out of different positions because the enemy will be waiting for you or what I called "holding" you. Now, I also taught people how to break that hold in Darkest Hour. I taught that in order to break that hold, you needed to find a suitable position to be able to return fire as fast as possible. The reason I taught it is because of the following;

I know where the enemy roughly is and enemy knows what area I'm probably going to pop out of, even after moving about. There is going to be a crucial time (go time) when I get out of cover where there is going to be a stand-off, between me getting my sights over the enemy and pulling the trigger before he does. You usually only win/lose that battle by a few tenths of a second.

You obviously do your best to maximize your chances of being successful, but think about how dangerous this kind of engagement is. It's still a duel, you're still betting on your ability to not only aim your sights and fire before the enemy, but also making a killing shot.

Another thing I taught my guys was that becoming a better soldier was about improving your chances of survival, I taught battlefield statistics. Learning how to properly defilade yourself in cover was just one tactic out of many that would increase your chances of survival, and all of a sudden your "survivability" was not at a much higher rate, making you a more effective soldier. Dead soldiers make bad ones.

The kind of engagement I just previously mentioned is an example of engaging in a manner that does not improve your chances of survival, it's risky. In order to combat this, I need some way of returning fire that actually has an effect on the enemy and reduces the chances of me getting hit. Darkest Hour gave me that way, because I could shoot much quicker than my enemy so long as I tried to just shoot bullets his way, rather trying to take that killing shot. What happened is now the enemy had to get back down under cover or return fire, and all of a sudden, you have a real firefight. Not a showdown, but a firefight.

As another poster previously mentioned, soldiers did a lot of "quasi blind fire" in order to return fire. If they were getting shot at, they just wanted to throw bullets the enemy's way so the enemy didn't have fire superiority. I was able to do this several times in RO2 when using SMGs or Semis, because I could desaturate the player's screen and do other effects. I'm not a big fan of this method but whatever works.

Depends, how many people are you suppressing? Volume of fire is designed to cover multiple openings and angles, not expend dozens of bullets to kill one guy. If you're assaulting a house with several enemies holed up inside, yes, you need a pretty decent volume of accurate fire. Volume isn't just plinking MORE bullets off their cover, it's being able to shoot at more than one target.

No it's not. It's designed to get more bullets over your enemy's head than he can get over yours. It was about scaring your enemy and showing him you had more firepower than he did. That's what achieving fire superiority is all about. If you have to expend dozens of bullets to kill one guy, then so be it, a soldier valued his life over dozens of bullets. Volume is entirely about "plinking MORE bullets"; over one enemy, two enemies, or an entire company. That's what firefights were all about, returning more fire than the enemy so they would say "well, we're probably going to lose this battle, let's either dig in and get in some cover or retreat".

But if you're suppressing him, shouldn't he be taking cover? I've shot plenty of chuckleheads who stood out in the open and bounced bullets off of my brick wall trying to "suppress" me. It didn't make me want to take cover, it only had me counting the shots till they had to reload and I could kill them at my leisure.

Now if I popped out and took a bullet to the arm, and had to retreat to bandage, I'd be a bit more careful about popping out. THAT'S suppression.

What you just described is entirely how a veteran soldier would NOT behave in the same situation. A real veteran soldier wouldn't just stand there thinking "oh, this guys is just throwing bullets my way, I'll just brave it and carefully take a controlled aimed shot and kill him". Remember, in real war, you usually only got hit once before your war was over. Veterans knew that while the returning fire might not have been the most accurate, if the bullets were close enough to you, one of them might eventually hit. And that's all it took to put a veterans head down. Not said by me, but by Osprey. Not like that of course, but it was well known by some generals that veterans didn't make for the best soldiers because they took so little risks.

Also, lets not forget all of the flying debris and possible shrapnel or other flying objects that come about bullets destroying your surroundings. If people didn't get back down under cover because of the bullets, they probably got out of sight of all the crap that could've fallen into their eyes.

My friend mister statistics would like a word with you:

World War II was the deadliest military conflict in history. Over 60 million people were killed. The tables below give a detailed country-by-country count of human losses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties

How in the world do you think they captured territory from their enemies? By killing all of the defenders!

My friend Logical Fallacy would like to have a word with you. What you presented has absolutely no bearing as to WHY these soldiers died, only that they died. 75% of soldier casualties were because of some form of shelling. 10% was caused by bullets and anti-tank shells. So less than 10%. This is according to Osprey.

Again, your final conclusion just shows that you have been playing video games way too much and don't understand how morale impacts a battle. Defenders rarely held to the last man, despite what Hitler and Chuikov may have told you.

I absolutely agree. RO1/DH was -far- more realistic than anything else that was out at the time. Using realistic strategies paid off and it rewarded thinking. RO2 is like that, but better. It relies less on gamey mechanics to achieve an artificial effect, and it works quite well. The problem is that most people weren't expecting a learning curve like what they got. The RO1 people were expecting to be able to slide into RO2 like a comfortable pair of pants. Never once did it cross their mind that they might have to un-learn some of their bad habits from RO1.

TWI took a big risk and greatly changed a lot of the game mechanics. The problem that the community is having is that it's run headlong into a learning curve they didn't expect. The RO1 guys figured that all their pixel hunting, suppressing skills would help them in RO2, but they don't.

My best advice, honestly, is to stop trying to use RO1 tactics in RO2. Take a step back, read up on honest-to-goodness infantry tactics, and apply those. It works quite well.

I haven't had a curve, this game is too easy for me as it is. All I need is a semi or an smg and I'm almost guaranteed top 3-5 score on the server.

Implying I need to "read up on honest-to-goodness infantry tactics" makes me want to ask you, what the hell have you been reading? This whole time you have shown me rather limited knowledge as to how this war was fought by WW2 infantry. Your vision of how WW2 went down is as if entire armies were comprised of Black Ops Agents who were all stealthy and conducted small arms operations. A lot of the tactics you have mentioned are used, but by different types of units, in different eras, with different equipment. WW2 was more about fire superiority, and that was achieved with lots and lots of bullets. It's kinda hard to be stealthy when you're a battalion of 500 soldiers.

Before you invest all your time and effort into a realism mod, perhaps you'd like to talk tactics? I'd be glad to demonstrate the things I've learned in-game and share them with others. The tactical level is there, and it's mind-blowingly deep. I think I'm at an advantage because I never invested tons of time into RO1, so I don't have all the bad habits that a lot of RO1 players would have.

If you'd like, I can try to put together a guide demonstrating some simple things you can do to greatly increase your survivability and effectiveness, and that will let you get all that delicious tactical action you want.

While I would never deny anyone wanting to discuss tactics, I do want you to be aware that I have pages of training documentation I have written up for Darkest Hour and I led a realism unit that I personally trained everyday. I will always welcome you or anybody who wants to talk, but please don't be condescending. I will pretend that you are not being so, as long as you recognize that my tactics are not some random made up thing or things I'm asking for because I lack tactics.

I will admit however that I don't want to discard parts of my training that applied to Darkest Hour, so rather than have to adjust my training, I wish to get some of that gameplay back. However, I can assure you, it's not because I don't want to do the work, it's because I saw just how good Darkest Hour suppression worked and simulated the style of combat WW2 infantry engaged in.

Here is my Ventrilo so you can hop on and we can discuss things;

vent2.gameservers.com
pass 504th

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
it's because I saw just how good Darkest Hour suppression worked and simulated the style of combat WW2 infantry engaged in.

At the wrong range, and hence it actually didn't simulate the WW2 infantry combat well. Why would you want to take another step backwards into RO1, when we can take a step forward by simply getting larger maps where the currently realistic accuracy will give you the battle you envisioned?

And ditching respawn or making respawn incredibly costly (60 seconds for example) would be another much much much more realistic way to combat the suicidal players. If we are talking about recreating realistic combat, unrealistic features should be mentioned only as a last resort when technology just can't support the design.

Upvote 0
I have no doubt about bolt action or semi auto rifle being much more accurate than modern M4 or M16 under limited conditions.

What bothers me is, human factor is almost not there in game.
In battleground, soldiers are tired, and tensed, thus low on stamina.
Right after running or under live fire situation, soldier's heart rate will go up naturally affecting the accuracy.

Game provides very little sway even in standing unsupported firing position, and you can basically hold your breath and focus on target while ADS forever.

1. A little more sway in unsupported position or in movement
2. holding the breath in ADS should be limited with stamina bar
(you can't hold breath forever in real life)
3. without breath control accuracy should drop a bit, as breathing will naturally decrease accuracy.

These things are already realized in many FPSs, hope TWI don't drop extra ounce of realism while caring for console crowds too much.

About suppression effect, it's very realistic that pinned down soldiers can't properly return accurate fire or even fire back at all just like real life situation.

If you're suppressed under heavy MG fire, your heart rate will go straight up which will severely hinders your accurate fire and your fear of instant death would make your movement much more timid.

The fact that RO2 didn't accurately presented thumping (cracking, zipping, popping) sound of live MG bullet passing right beside you also contributed to the overall less fear of MG suppression.
(i.e. in ARMA where this dreadful thumping, cracking sounds of passing MG bullets are well presented, being pinned down by the MG is really dreadful situation and really make player suppressed in movement and all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
*Sigh*

Alright, here goes nothing.

But that's what soldiers did in real life. Soldiers also weren't really able to count your bullets because you would usually have some buddies next to you also "plinking bullets" at them.

Then they simply wait for you and your squad of thickies to stop shooting after expending several rounds of your limited cache of ammunition on bouncing bullets off your walls. Then they would pop out whenever (and wherever) you least expected it and take your head off.

Frontline squads don't plink anything. Remember that these boys may have to operate several days (or even weeks) before getting any sort of resupply. They have whatever ammo they can carry, and every bullet wasted is one that they might need later. Suppression is something that happens quickly, and it's designed to give the squad room to maneuver closer to the enemy. Three or four guys will stay behind cover watching the threat and shooting at any movement while the rest of the guys close in for the kill. The whole span of this action wouldn't last more than 15-30 seconds. Just long enough to get your boys in close.

I'm not making this up. Go read any statistics on the average amount of bullets it took to kill an enemy in Vietnam and WW2. It was in the hundreds if not thousands of bullets. Why? Because soldiers valued their life more than bullets, and they knew that they would rather throw bullets the way of the enemy than give him even the slightest chance of being able to lay accurate fire on them. The problem is that you are thinking of a video game and the rules of a video game, not what happened in real life. In Darkest Hour, where suppression actually had an effect on the enemy's ability to engage (which is what happened in real life), wasting bullets worked, and I developed an entire training system around it and it made me and my guys incredibly successful at that game when it came down to engagements.

I've read the statistics dozens of times. You guys love to throw them around. Let me explain to you why it takes so many rounds per casualty:

Shooting the WWII German MG42 - YouTube
1,200 rounds per minute = 20 rounds a second
Shooting the Browning 1919A4 machine Gun - YouTube
400-600 rounds per minute = ~7-10 rounds per second

These are field artillery pieces akin to mortars and anti-tank guns. They are designed for long range supressive fire to cover infantry from a safe distance. They don't have to worry about carrying all their ammo, or when the next opportunity for an ammo resupply is, as they are usually far enough back that they can be resupplied fairly easily. While these -are- fairly accurate weapons, the shooter needs special telescopic sights just to see what he's shooting at, and it's not the most effective way to score kills, as most people drop to prone or take cover as soon as a heavy machine gun opens up on them.

Hence, you have these guns that are expending huge quantities of ammunition, yet their effects are mostly ineffective at causing casualties for all but the most suicidal of enemies. They keep them from moving through certain areas, yes, but this is not something that happens on a squad level.

Squads don't have the kind of ammunition stores to just waste ammunition like you're describing. Suppression on a squad level is done accurately and with the least expended rounds possible. They don't know if they're going to get into a bad situation and suddenly need to defend from a huge wave of enemies or some such, and getting caught without bullets for your gun is a nightmare scenario.

What that means is that everyone is a sniper. The only people who had that kind of an ability to suppress were snipers. How realistic is that? The fact of the matter is that you're changing the nature of suppression because other parts of the game are unrealistic, so you make it entirely about accuracy and never about volume. Naturally, this disparity in how real suppression worked changes the nature of suppression and firefights.

You mean that in order to hit someone with an incredibly accurate weapon (bolt-action rifles are nothing if not incredibly accurate) inside of 50-150 meters requires someone to have sniper-like aim?

Last I checked, snipers tended to engage enemies out to 300 meters.

We're dealing with close quarters combat here. These maps are not that big. RO1 felt artificially larger due to the gamey aiming mechanics, and someone felt like a real crack shot if they hit an enemy at 100 meters, but this is hardly the case in real life. An infantry unit is -not- a volume of fire entity. They had -very limited- volume of fire capabilities in the form of the LMG, but they could carry neither the resources nor the firepower needed to supress an enemy through sheer volume of fire alone.

And please, at no point have I mentioned bullet spread, that is a bad strategy to implement because then all it means is that the player can skillfully aim his weapon each time and get different results. That's terrible. I want players to have to think about cover and movement, so make their weapon sway just a little more when they don't have it supported. Have you noticed how many people just run around now and shoot from unsupported positions? I certainly don't remember that happening this often in Darkest Hour. RO1 might have had unrealistic sway, but it achieved the goal of rewarding players for tactical play and they sought cover to rest their weapon on more often than what we are seeing in RO2. Recoil is just another way of achieving this and player can learn to adjust for it.

That's because you couldn't run in Darkest Hour, at least not fast enough to screw with the aim of your attacker.

And you have to remember how many people are currently "visiting" RO2 from other, more arcadey shooters. That's a problem with the players, not the game. Plus, I -haven't- noticed how many players are running and shooting unsupported because they tend to -DIE- before they get the chance to shoot unsupported. I'm shooting back at them, and I'm reasonably competent with FPS controls. If they do anything OTHER than take cover when I'm prone in the bushes with my LMG, I take their daggum heads off.

RO2 rewards players for tactical play, you're just using the wrong tactics. You want to use tactics that worked in RO1, under RO1s rules. RO2 is a different beast, and it got rid of a lot of the arcadey mechanics that allowed you to get away with a lot of the stuff you got away with in RO1. You need to figure out which tactics work and bear in mind that each player is a reasonably competent shot now that they don't have goofy mechanics throwing off their aim for 50 meter shots.

I have taught that technique for quite a while now. When engaging, you always pop out of different positions because the enemy will be waiting for you or what I called "holding" you. Now, I also taught people how to break that hold in Darkest Hour. I taught that in order to break that hold, you needed to find a suitable position to be able to return fire as fast as possible. The reason I taught it is because of the following;

Well that's good! There's a tactic that -can- carry over from RO1 to RO2, because it's a legitimate infantry tactic and it works quite well! What you called "holding", the real military calls "suppressing." And as you said, in order to break that suppression, the army teaches you to -MOVE-. Don't sit there and wait to get picked off. Get prone, start crawling, stay out of sight, and get to a position where you can draw a bead on him without him realizing it. Welcome to infantry combat 101.

I know where the enemy roughly is and enemy knows what area I'm probably going to pop out of, even after moving about. There is going to be a crucial time (go time) when I get out of cover where there is going to be a stand-off, between me getting my sights over the enemy and pulling the trigger before he does. You usually only win/lose that battle by a few tenths of a second.

Here's where you screw up. Why are you giving him the chance to shoot back? There should -be- no stand off. You shouldn't ever expose an inch more than you have to to get your shot off, and you should only come up when you feel confident you've flanked around far enough that he won't see you or be able to react before you shoot him right in his stupid face. You shouldn't be relying on twitch reflexes. Ever. You aren't thinking if you have to twitch. You're betting your very LIFE on the idea that you're faster than he is. What soldier in his right mind would do this?

You obviously do your best to maximize your chances of being successful, but think about how dangerous this kind of engagement is. It's still a duel, you're still betting on your ability to not only aim your sights and fire before the enemy, but also making a killing shot.

Real firefights aren't about "duels," they're about catching your enemy off guard and killing him at a minimum of risk to yourself. Dueling is a very high risk situation and should be avoided at all costs. You are trying to minimize the danger to yourself and your comrades, something that you can do with alarming success by simply following basic tactical thinking. As I said, RO1 certainly had more of this than other shooters, but undercut it's credibility in lots of other ways allowing for a wide range of very unrealistic tactics to sprout through.

If you can't get off a shot and retreat to cover before he can retaliate, you're taking too much risk and now that you can aim properly in RO2, you will be punished for it.

Another thing I taught my guys was that becoming a better soldier was about improving your chances of survival, I taught battlefield statistics. Learning how to properly defilade yourself in cover was just one tactic out of many that would increase your chances of survival, and all of a sudden your "survivability" was not at a much higher rate, making you a more effective soldier. Dead soldiers make bad ones.

Again, you're talking the right talk here. Defilade and enfilade are still vital concepts in RO2. Keep using these as you used them in RO1.

The kind of engagement I just previously mentioned is an example of engaging in a manner that does not improve your chances of survival, it's risky. In order to combat this, I need some way of returning fire that actually has an effect on the enemy and reduces the chances of me getting hit. Darkest Hour gave me that way, because I could shoot much quicker than my enemy so long as I tried to just shoot bullets his way, rather trying to take that killing shot. What happened is now the enemy had to get back down under cover or return fire, and all of a sudden, you have a real firefight. Not a showdown, but a firefight.

And that happens in RO2 too, between competent, tactically thinking players. I've seen several legitimate firefights in RO2, where players will pop out, take aim, spot movement, take cover right as bullets ping off their window, move a few feet, pop out again, return fire, take cover, move around, etc. for a fair while before anyone gets killed. Of course, this usually takes place on my clan server, where everyone knows these tactics and how to use them properly, and we spend a lot of time figuring out what works and what doesn't. As I've said several times before, if you're relying on showdowns, you aren't using your tactics right.

RO2 accomplishes the same effect as RO1 did, without the gamey mechanics. You just have to alter your playstyle to accommodate for the lack of bullet plinking.

As another poster previously mentioned, soldiers did a lot of "quasi blind fire" in order to return fire. If they were getting shot at, they just wanted to throw bullets the enemy's way so the enemy didn't have fire superiority. I was able to do this several times in RO2 when using SMGs or Semis, because I could desaturate the player's screen and do other effects. I'm not a big fan of this method but whatever works.

Not sure what soldiers you've seen, mate. I've never heard of the military endorsing or training any sort of blind fire for their soldiers. Such a thing only expends ammunition and greatly increases the likelihood of a friendly fire incident.

No it's not. It's designed to get more bullets over your enemy's head than he can get over yours. It was about scaring your enemy and showing him you had more firepower than he did. That's what achieving fire superiority is all about. If you have to expend dozens of bullets to kill one guy, then so be it, a soldier valued his life over dozens of bullets. Volume is entirely about "plinking MORE bullets"; over one enemy, two enemies, or an entire company. That's what firefights were all about, returning more fire than the enemy so they would say "well, we're probably going to lose this battle, let's either dig in and get in some cover or retreat".

*sigh*

But they -wouldn't- say that. If they returned to their base and said "well, they were being scary and plinking bullets off our cover and we got frightened!", they'd probably be executed for treason and cowardice.

If they aren't already in cover, than why aren't you just KILLING them? That's a far more effective method to keep them from firing back.

Volume of fire is -all about- covering as many angles as possible at once. It has nothing to do with shooting MORE bullets at the same guy, it's about covering a wider swath of land and keeping MORE people's heads down so your guys can move in for the kill.

Any action that you make that doesn't either directly lead to the death of your enemy or bring you closer to his demise is a waste.

What you just described is entirely how a veteran soldier would NOT behave in the same situation. A real veteran soldier wouldn't just stand there thinking "oh, this guys is just throwing bullets my way, I'll just brave it and carefully take a controlled aimed shot and kill him". Remember, in real war, you usually only got hit once before your war was over. Veterans knew that while the returning fire might not have been the most accurate, if the bullets were close enough to you, one of them might eventually hit. And that's all it took to put a veterans head down. Not said by me, but by Osprey. Not like that of course, but it was well known by some generals that veterans didn't make for the best soldiers because they took so little risks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_42#Operation

Both the Americans and the British trained their troops to take cover from the fire of an MG 42, and assault the position during the small window of barrel replacement. The high rate of fire of the MG 42 sometimes proved a liability, mainly in that, while the weapon could be used to devastating effect, it could quickly exhaust its ammunition supply. For this reason, it was not uncommon for all soldiers operating near an MG 42 to carry extra ammunition, thus providing the MG 42 with a backup source when its main supply was exhausted.

That's right, both the US and the UK trained their soldiers to time their assaults during the 5-7 seconds it took to swap out an overheated MG-42 barrel. That's more than enough time to cover 20-30 meters, get into grenade range, and find cover again. With your buddies suppressing the machine gunners buddies with pinpoint rifle fire, you could get in close and take out the nest while they were helpless to retaliate.

Waiting for the enemy to burn through his ammo is a -very- legitimate strategy when dealing with small units. This is why trigger discipline is such an important doctrine in armed services around the world. YOU ONLY HAVE SO MUCH, AND YOU HAVE TO TAKE YOURSELF OUT OF COMBAT TO RELOAD AFTER A SET NUMBER OF SHOTS. The enemy knows this, and he is trained to take advantage of every little opening in your strategy to exploit to his advantage.

Also, lets not forget all of the flying debris and possible shrapnel or other flying objects that come about bullets destroying your surroundings. If people didn't get back down under cover because of the bullets, they probably got out of sight of all the crap that could've fallen into their eyes.

Ricochets and bullet shrapnel can be dangerous, yes, but expecting to get kills from ricochets or bullet shrapnel is foolish. It's like trying to bounce a bullet off a metal plate and hit a target you can't see. Odds are one in a billion.

My friend Logical Fallacy would like to have a word with you. What you presented has absolutely no bearing as to WHY these soldiers died, only that they died. 75% of soldier casualties were because of some form of shelling. 10% was caused by bullets and anti-tank shells. So less than 10%. This is according to Osprey.

*Le sigh*

How again is that a logical fallacy? Let's go back to what you said in the first place:

And I quote:
This kept me relatively safe and also helped me hold my territory. WW2 combat was more about taking and holding territory than it was about killing the soldiers.

It doesn't matter how they died, the point is that the primary method of capturing territory was to inflict such horrific losses on the enemy that they were forced to retreat or face the complete decimation of their fighting forces.

Again, your final conclusion just shows that you have been playing video games way too much and don't understand how morale impacts a battle. Defenders rarely held to the last man, despite what Hitler and Chuikov may have told you.

Ad hom. Nice. I addressed the legitimate part of this argument above. The rest of it is just bollocks. I'm pulling legitimate references in from outside sources to back up my data, and never once have I referenced a video game as a source of legitimate tactics. I have suggested that legitimate tactics can be used in a video game, yes, but never the other way around.

I haven't had a curve, this game is too easy for me as it is. All I need is a semi or an smg and I'm almost guaranteed top 3-5 score on the server.

Because you're fighting idiots right now. Wait for BF3 to clean out a lot of the smacktards and you'll find yourself against some pretty stiff competition.

Implying I need to "read up on honest-to-goodness infantry tactics" makes me want to ask you, what the hell have you been reading? This whole time you have shown me rather limited knowledge as to how this war was fought by WW2 infantry. Your vision of how WW2 went down is as if entire armies were comprised of Black Ops Agents who were all stealthy and conducted small arms operations. A lot of the tactics you have mentioned are used, but by different types of units, in different eras, with different equipment. WW2 was more about fire superiority, and that was achieved with lots and lots of bullets. It's kinda hard to be stealthy when you're a battalion of 500 soldiers.

Er, I've actually been reading the U.S. Army Handbook for Small Unit Tactics, the same book that my dad learned his small unit tactics from when he attended West Point. Something very similar to this:

http://www.marines.mil/news/publica...8 The Infantry Rifle Platoon and Squad_2.pdf

Abiet a bit older.

While I would never deny anyone wanting to discuss tactics, I do want you to be aware that I have pages of training documentation I have written up for Darkest Hour and I led a realism unit that I personally trained everyday. I will always welcome you or anybody who wants to talk, but please don't be condescending. I will pretend that you are not being so, as long as you recognize that my tactics are not some random made up thing or things I'm asking for because I lack tactics.

I will admit however that I don't want to discard parts of my training that applied to Darkest Hour, so rather than have to adjust my training, I wish to get some of that gameplay back. However, I can assure you, it's not because I don't want to do the work, it's because I saw just how good Darkest Hour suppression worked and simulated the style of combat WW2 infantry engaged in.

It's obvious you do have a clue when it comes to tactics, a lot of the stuff you're suggesting is solid. You're just not implementing it correctly.

Upvote 0