• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics The Apartments

ROII4Me

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
The Apartments map is a revamped version of the popular Danzig map from RO1, where the Soviet forces had to take two bridges over a canal, a "Command Center" and small public square with a monument in it.

But the old and new versions are different enough in terms of specific layout that it likely requires different strategy and I am curious to hear what people think is the best way to win on the Apartments.

I have been playing since the day of official Launch, I have NEVER seen the Russians win this map.

When I mentioned this in some server the other night, people said they had seen the Russians win and one person said "In fact, they win the majority of the time."

Well, I have played that map at least 60 times now and I have never seen both back objectives in Soviet control at the same time.

So how best to approach the new map, from the Soviet point of view?

But first, lets look at the old map.

On Danzig there was an opening tactic for the attackers that gave them a decided time advantage.

Basically, you storm the right side bridge, huddle behind the wall until you cap, move over to the left bridge cap. Finished. That simple.

The moment people try to take both bridges at once they increase the odds of getting bogged down or failing completely.

The Germans need to try to take out as many Soviets as soon as possible to counter this, but it is very hard to do if the Reds put EVERYONE in the right side cap zone.

Unfortuantely, on the Apartments maps I find almost no one who a) realizes this is Danzig Redoux and b) who will listen to ANYONE suggesting tactics.

The result is the Soviets get in a hole, time and manpower wise because they try to take both bridges at the same time.

I see no reason why the old Danzig strategies would not work on this new map. But no one ever tries this. They always go for both bridges at once.

Just finished playing soviets on apartments and we won the match 2-0.
The problem is all of the soviets constantly run to the prop house and never focus on the park what i think should happen more is the soviets should concentrate on the park first then 1/4 of the team focus on the prop house

Park is extremely difficult to take though. If it has even a token German defense on it. It's why I kind of think bum rushing the easier to take Prop house an then farming the German respawn who will be galloping full sprint to take it back. While capping the Park from the alleyways. Cause trying to enter the Park from the normal entrance is just suicide. Oh yeah also park has to be blanketed in Smoke.

Upvote 0
I've only really noticed a difference in the opening of the map compared to Danzig, in the aspect that an opening round of nade-tillery isn't as effective, so it seems more focused on the first wave of Russians getting in and watching the entrances to the cap zones. After that, it's still, to put it simply, assault to Comman-err... Prop House, and rifles to Lang- the park, and with how the MGs are in RO2 they can go to either depending on what's needed.

Upvote 0
I finally witnessed a match that the Russians won not only one round but two.

Not sure what you are talking about running through a ravine, until I realized you were talking about a completely different map lol.

I am talking about the map where there are two bridges running over an urban river or canal. You are talking about the map with the "Gullies", set in a village on the outskirts of the city.

Anyway, the Apartments map is much narrower than Danzig. The large street on Danzig running past the "park" has some 25 yards between its entrance building and the ruined building on the park itself.

On the Apartments the street is an alley and the ruined park building is right next to the doorway that enters into the alley.

Makes the park much harder to approach in any kind of force.

But the same old strategy seems to work.

1. Take ONE bridge cap, then the other. Trying for both thins out the attacking forces and takes too long.

2. Take Propaganda House and HOLD it against counter attacks.

3. Take park while the PH remains fortified.

Upvote 0
I just wish everyone on the pub servers played like you OP. Every time I try to get my team to do this stuff it seems to fall on deaf ears, or I sometimes even get replies of "Negative".

I'm sure the playerbase will mature, but right now seeing 2 or 3 people camping out in the same window when they're supposed to be attacking probably the easiest objectives on the map is just a little frustrating.

Upvote 0
I finally witnessed a match that the Russians won not only one round but two.

Not sure what you are talking about running through a ravine, until I realized you were talking about a completely different map lol.

I am talking about the map where there are two bridges running over an urban river or canal. You are talking about the map with the "Gullies", set in a village on the outskirts of the city.

Anyway, the Apartments map is much narrower than Danzig. The large street on Danzig running past the "park" has some 25 yards between its entrance building and the ruined building on the park itself.

On the Apartments the street is an alley and the ruined park building is right next to the doorway that enters into the alley.

Makes the park much harder to approach in any kind of force.

But the same old strategy seems to work.

1. Take ONE bridge cap, then the other. Trying for both thins out the attacking forces and takes too long.

2. Take Propaganda House and HOLD it against counter attacks.

3. Take park while the PH remains fortified.

No, you're both talking about the same map. He would not have said "first two caps" otherwise. He should have said "bridges" instead of bridge. I spend the first 5 minutes parked behind that wall, watching wave after wave of russian charge across the bridges getting mowed down. I repeatedly give orders, no-one listens... it's a crap shoot whether we get it or not. Just have to wait for people to notice.

Way I approach it (this includes clueless pubs, but as a result isn't flawless)

1. Spawn
2. Take right path.
3. Go through a blown-out wall to your left, before you reach the bridge
4. run through that building and out into the ravine
5. Run up to the wall and wait
6. Check to see which point is being capped A or B. Move to that end of the wall to help out (if you can't beat the pubs, join 'em. Just from the safety of behind the wall)
7. With luck, your teammates will eventually stop suiciding and you'll actually cap
8. Move over and cap the other bridge as well
9. Run around the corner, and go into the basement
10. Go through the basement and come out in a lobby-like area that leads out to D (the park.)
11. Charge through the doorway, towards D. You'll enter a completely ruined two-story building. Go up to the wall with windows that overlook the park. Do NOT look through the windows.
12. Cap from here, shooting any germans that:
a) Run down the far alley towards C
b) charge around the corner trying to "bunker" you
c) try to climb through the windows
(note, all works best with a couple guys, obviously)
13. Beware grenades thrown in
14. Wait. C will normally get capped first, so you'll have to wait for the pubs to wake up and come help you
15. Win.

To be fair, it is probably wisest to cap C first, because I think D is much easier for the Germans to capture back. But no-one seems to know how to cap D very well at all - all running and suiciding out in the park. So I make sure I get things started and keep a few germans occupied in the process.

Reactions: Landrik
Upvote 0
1. People don't know how to win by getting in the cap zone yet.
2. Initial cap areas are slightly different, but not a huge problem if you know to get in them.
3. Axis Assault class have an advantage and wreak havoc on Allied positions, when Danzig was the other way around (Mkb2H?).
4. Veterans from RO1 stack Axis. Russians are usually down two or more players. Team balance not working.
5. MGs and snipers are less effective since rifles are more effective (zoom + reduced sway).
6. Alleys on the far sides are now open to other rooms for Axis to get through. Used to be easier to defend by Allies.
7. FoV is shorter, i.e. the furthest distance you can shoot is nearer, making all the above compound further.

Last edited:
Upvote 0