• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation The big Tank thread for mod builers

OldRavenNL

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2011
Eenrum
www.cnc-lab.nl
edit : may 12 2012

I gave up on RO2. So I am no longe putting any effort in this.

I am working on armor, but not for RO2 anymore.

---------------- snip ---------------------

Hello guys and girls.

First let me introduce myself..

I'm Peter
Have been a 3d modeler/animator for tv/film/etc for over 13 years.
Since 1 year switched as I was fed up with it, and doing more "real world" stuff.

That's all you need to know.

I'm a tactical gamer, and I like armour.
Played t34 vs tiger a lot since it has interiours, but never played RO1 (weird)

Really like the tanks in RO2 (although, needs a little tweaking) so I really want more tanks in RO2. And bigger maps with them.

So here's my plan.

In the past few years.. owning my own bussines, spend a lot of money on 3d model databases, since we used a lot of models just as placeholders or reference models for re-modeling.

And guess what?

I have a shipload of WW2 and WW1 tanks, halftracks etc.

I plan on modeling at least one Tank for RO2 when the SDK comes out.. but would love to see a hell of a lot more.

I have no idea who's doing what.. so would love to see this thread as a base thread to give every modder out there and every mod team out there an overview of what tank is being worked on and by who.

So if you are a modder working for a mod team and want to build a tank for RO2.. I'm willing to donate you the model you need so you can get there quicker.. and the RO2 community can have more tanks in the future.

I'm not going to give the models to anyone.. I want to know what you are working on, and if you know what you're doing.
I'm not giving them away as models to experiment with how you import a model in the SDK.. you can use a teapot for that.

I'll publish a list here of WW2 (and 1 if I have) related vehicles so you can see if I have a version you can use as a start.

You need to optimize or remodel them.
They don't have UV's.
I see if I can get them in a format you want.

Part of the list:

Spoiler!

Last edited:
There's a lot more where that came from :D

Update..

I see that I also have other stuff.

-flak 88
-german field artillery gun
-20mm german flak gun
-Leopold (a german Rail Gun) big mofo
-Moser karl
-pak 37
-howitzer

o.. and fighters and bombers for those who want to try to implement aircraft.. like the bf109, spitfire, mustang etc

Reactions: Gerhard Schiller
Upvote 0
These are looking awsome but there is a problem these are very high poly modells i think i say 1 million, you will need to made a low poly verson of the modells, i made 3d modells also and i alway first do the low poly modell made it's UVW map than i made the high poly modell form the low poly, after that i generate the normal map. I know a free program what can "redone" the geomerty but from my experimets it is dont working good on the mechanical thing it is working good on living things(soldier, animal etc). the other problem is the interrior it takes atleast 4 times more than the interrior, and you also need lots of infos/references also.

BTW i also like made 3d modells

these are for our mod

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey Greenhorn.

You panzer is looking good also.

The models I have are not very high poly.. but that's why I say.. they are very usefull to remodel or optimize and use.

The StuG III for example is I believe 130K polys.. but most of those polys are in the tracks.. which you need to remodel anyway.

The basic shape of the ww2 tanks are pretty simpel.. so remodeling one of these when you use this one as a reference model to trace over is a walk in the park (for me that is)
As for uv's .. yup you need to do them yourself.. but with a tank for realtime purposes the most realistic effect you get from baking an ambient occlusion map.
Yes, creating UV is a little work.. but if you know how.. not that difficult.
Shouldn't take you more than a day to layout a basic uv map for a tank.

As for Highpoly to lowpoly/normal map conversion.. I always used Zbush.
But I sold my liscense so cannot use that anymore.

Another great program for uv layout detailing and baking is 3dcoat.

@ diablo

Sure.. I have light vehicles also.
What are you looking for?
-BMW R75
-1940 army Harley
-SDKFZ 2 kettenkraftrad (love these things)
-willeys jeep

you want me to look further?

Reactions: Gerhard Schiller
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hey Greenhorn.

You panzer is looking good also.

The models I have are not very high poly.. but that's why I say.. they are very usefull to remodel or optimize and use.

The StuG III for example is I believe 130K polys.. but most of those polys are in the tracks.. which you need to remodel anyway.

The basic shape of the ww2 tanks are pretty simpel.. so remodeling one of these when you use this one as a reference model to trace over is a walk in the park (for me that is)
As for uv's .. yup you need to do them yourself.. but with a tank for realtime purposes the most realistic effect you get from baking an ambient occlusion map.
Yes, creating UV is a little work.. but if you know how.. not that difficult.
Shouldn't take you more than a day to layout a basic uv map for a tank.

As for Highpoly to lowpoly/normal map conversion.. I always used Zbush.
But I sold my liscense so cannot use that anymore.

Another great program for uv layout detailing and baking is 3dcoat.

@ diablo

Sure.. I have light vehicles also.
What are you looking for?
-BMW R75
-1940 army Harley
-SDKFZ 2 kettenkraftrad (love these things)
-willeys jeep

you want me to look further?

if you have it but i am sure you wont these are hungarian tanks what i need

38M Toldi
40M Nimr

Upvote 0
hi just dropping by

thanks for all the advice, kind words and support

saw your request for sdk

the stuff you are doing can really help

in case you forget

i'm the guy from battle of kursk map :)