• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will this game attempt to be realistic or try to emulate RO2?

I also pray that RS avoids all of this superfluous unlock system silliness. Just give us a great WWII Pacific shooter with good guns, historically accurate loadouts and weapon to weapon ratios (ie SMGs to rifles, etc), and no fantasy weapons that kill immersion, and you'll have one hell of a big fanbase on your hands.

Upvote 0
Huh? Hardly any recoil, semis feel like rapid fire bolts, SMGs somewhere in between, zoom makes shots way easier, instantly remove sway with controlled breathing, hardly any sway or momentum when in IS, magic bandages, far too many smg/semi to bolt ratio, suppression unrealistically moves aim around, don't have to stop to go to iron sights (just press rmb for instant IS while sprinting), no effect from sprinting, sprint forever, no wound effects, sights come up faster, can strafe faster when ADS.
You sum it pretty well. And that is what makes RO:OST different from RO:HOS, sadly. Going the way of arcade gaming is dangerous!
Hope this mod will not do the same.

Upvote 0
You sum it pretty well. And that is what makes RO:OST different from RO:HOS, sadly. Going the way of arcade gaming is dangerous!
Hope this mod will not do the same.

Whilst I'm very happy for people to discuss the mod and its proposed ethos and feel on this section of the TW forums, I'd like to request that this thread does not become a HoS-bashing thread. Please remember that, without TW/HoS there would be no Rising Storm.

Admittedly, the thread did not get off to a very good start in that respect. :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have to agree with other posts in this thread- RO2 is certainly not up to the standards of what a lot of people want for realism. It isn't very productive to pretend otherwise.

It's not just FF- even on hardcore realism, there's an embarrassing amount of automatics and semiautomatics for the eastern front at that place and time, to say nothing of the excellent overview smokey went through. I find it baffling how inconsequential it is to get shot. I just got shot in both legs, hit the use button in the middle of the street, and took off sprinting. Isn't that a bit..absurd?

I understand that one can expect a lot of semiautomatics and SMGs from the Americans; but I hope SMGs will be all but unheard of, 1-2 a team for Japan, and no semiautomatics at all, while making do with a lot of bolt action rifles and light machine guns, possibly augmented by knee mortar support. That is my vision of what a realistic pacific shooter would have.

I was more excited about a good pacific game than the eastern front, but I wouldn't buy it as-is if it was just a port of RO2 to another theater. I expect Rising Storm to profit from the example of HoS.

Upvote 0
Too all the people complaining about there being too many SMG's/Semi's

I hope you realize that the U.S arsenal will almost completely consist of semi's and SMG's.

That's fine. I think in a lot of scenarios Japan would have a positional advantage while the US would have the close combat arms advantage. Giving 70% of the japan team automatics would be even worse then MKB stalingrad.

Reactions: Jolon
Upvote 0
I have to agree with other posts in this thread- RO2 is certainly not up to the standards of what a lot of people want for realism. It isn't very productive to pretend otherwise.

It's not just FF- even on hardcore realism, there's an embarrassing amount of automatics and semiautomatics for the eastern front at that place and time, to say nothing of the excellent overview smokey went through. I find it baffling how inconsequential it is to get shot. I just got shot in both legs, hit the use button in the middle of the street, and took off sprinting. Isn't that a bit..absurd?

I understand that one can expect a lot of semiautomatics and SMGs from the Americans; but I hope SMGs will be all but unheard of, 1-2 a team for Japan, and no semiautomatics at all, while making do with a lot of bolt action rifles and light machine guns, possibly augmented by knee mortar support. That is my vision of what a realistic pacific shooter would have.

I was more excited about a good pacific game than the eastern front, but I wouldn't buy it as-is if it was just a port of RO2 to another theater. I expect Rising Storm to profit from the example of HoS.

Did you even read the post above yours? Ignore me, or any of the forum mods, again and you will have no choice but to stick to moaning about HoS in the HoS forums as you will be banned from this section.

Upvote 0
Whilst I'm very happy for people to discuss the mod and its proposed ethos and feel on this section of the TW forums, I'd like to request that this thread does not become a HoS-bashing thread. Please remember that, without TW/HoS there would be no Rising Storm.

Admittedly, the thread did not get off to a very good start in that respect. :eek:

So we can conclude that this modding team has chosen to ignore the lack of realism complaints by the community. Disaapointing that is. Is this the same team that did DH for RO? Cause we need that team back asap or this community wil continue into the wrong direction which it is allready heading right now. Seeing a sharp drop in players allready 1 week after realease. I don't care what you think of my opinion, this game is close to lost to me allready just because the gameplay is boring compared to RO1/DH. The way this team reacts towards players that critisize gameplay/TWI is ridiculous and childish.

Upvote 0
You can conclude anything you like, but that won't make it any more or less true or untrue. The only thing ridiculous and childish around here is how hard you're all trying to bait us into criticising TW and how upset you're getting when we refuse to do so.

If you have grievances you wish to air regarding HoS, post them in the HoS section of the boards, not here. These boards are for Rising Storm discussion, not TW bashing.

Rising Storm will be Rising Storm, not Heroes of Stalingrad. Some things will be different, some things will be the same. Interpret that any way you like, because until the frequent updates and tweaks to HoS have settled down and the game has stabilised somewhat, that's all that we are prepared to say on the matter.

Upvote 0
If anyone else is deciding that what this section of the forums needs is another HoS complaints thread or, as Mike78 here has decided, a platform to question my and my team's integrity based on absolutely zero evidence then I will ban them without hesitation.

Take your rage-fuelled speculation elsewhere, we have a game to develop.

Upvote 0
If anyone else is deciding that what this section of the forums needs is another HoS complaints thread or, as Mike78 here has decided, a platform to question my and my team's integrity based on absolutely zero evidence then I will ban them without hesitation.

Take your rage-fuelled speculation elsewhere, we have a game to develop.

Tank you for this!

These forums have gone from suggestions to complaints, now to just all out attacks.

I find it rather sad, as when you compare these to other forums (BF3, CoD, Brink etc) I see that the devs for both HoS and RS are much more caring than most AAA titles and their sad excuse for a message board.

Upvote 0
What I'm interested in knowing is weather you will try to balance the guns directly against eachother or if you will aim for a more asymmetrical balance. I think it would be even harder than in HoS case to achieve good symmetrical balance without sacrificing too much historical accuracy.

I've great hopes though looking at the "Balancing the Japanese" thread it seems like you are searching for smarter solutions to solve the balance problem than giving the Japanese a bunch of semi-automatic weapons.

Upvote 0
What I'm interested in knowing is weather you will try to balance the guns directly against eachother or if you will aim for a more asymmetrical balance. I think it would be even harder than in HoS case to achieve good symmetrical balance without sacrificing too much historical accuracy.

I've great hopes though looking at the "Balancing the Japanese" thread it seems like you are searching for smarter solutions to solve the balance problem than giving the Japanese a bunch of semi-automatic weapons.

(I have mentioned this before, but anyway)

In my opinion the balance in RO has never come from the weapons. It's more about the level design and overall loadout of the teams, rather than pitting individual weapons each other and making them balanced.

Upvote 0

In my opinion the balance in RO has never come from the weapons. It's more about the level design and overall loadout of the teams, rather than pitting individual weapons each other and making them balanced.
Yes I've kinda noticed that too, I think it should lay more in level design than weapon loadouts, also it makes sense because considering a faction is more likely to choose a defensive position that can be held with the weapons at their disposal.

Upvote 0
Did you even read the post above yours? Ignore me, or any of the forum mods, again and you will have no choice but to stick to moaning about HoS in the HoS forums as you will be banned from this section.

My language may have been intemperate. It would be a shame to be consigned to the HoS forums, as I have no further business with HoS.

Ignoring that game then, and focusing entirely on this one, I would merely say that I have no interest in buying a game in which semiautomatics and automatics are prominent in the Japanese arsenal, and I do not think I am alone in that view.

Unfortunately, prior premature purchases have assured I will hold off on playing RS until after it is released and I can make an appraisal of how the Japanese weapon loadouts were handled.

Upvote 0

... which naturally means having historically accurate amounts of rifles vs SMG ratios. It worked in Ro1 and it can work in RS. It's that simple.

Reactions: cucamonster
Upvote 0
Agreed with the devs. You can't balance a game such as this on the weapons. If weapons act like their real life counterparts, or close to that, the "gunplay" balances itself.

I used to play an modern weapons infantry game where anyone could choose and design his own loadout. This worked great because you could simply use whatever weapon you felt like using that round. I.e. in CQB i would use a M4A1, an MP5 supressed, AKM or just a 5-7 pistol if i felt like it. When i got schredded by a Minimi while i was being mr tough with only a pistol, i had only myself to blame. ;)

When dev's begin to add excessive sway/conefire/limitations to weapons to balance things out, that's when i start to worry!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Since the allies will be using a lot of Semi's and SMG's, I would hope that they would have some decent difficulty factors involved in their usage. I'm not asking for an insanely difficult game, just that the weapon handling shouldn't be too forgiving. You shouldn't be able to spam off several shots and hope something hits, you should have to allow for some recoil or have to aim each shot after it settles. In HoS its like the game does a lot of realism stuff for you, like you only control a fake crosshair rather than a heavy weapon.

Like you just point and click with magically aligned sights and your head glued to the gun. When you take a shot the gun hardly moves and you don't really have to reaim the shot like you do in RO1. You can spam several shots in medium range without waiting for the gun to settle between shots.

Now add to this the good accuracy even at long range, zoom, 1 hit 1 kill, no need to worry about running out of ammo, speed of iron sights and no momentum after sprinting and you have a game that feels very little like RO1 in the shooting department. For me realism games either need to use bolt action rifles OR have semi's that don't feel like bolt action rifles without the pause between shots.

For me realism is a means toward decent gameplay. Having an immersive environment to play it in is an added bonus. I would rather stuff isn't faked to make it balanced but would rather this than what seems to be the alternative. Otherwise i'm sure there are a plethora of realism inspired difficulty elements you use to improve gameplay rather than having everyone firing semi's like they're on a shooting range rather than a war.

Last edited:
Upvote 0