• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

can i know what the deal?

As someone who works in the 3D/VFX industry I have to say that the amount of modelling detail in this game is phenomenal! If you ever get to go into free spectator mode over maps like Red October Factory, Station, or Pavlov's house, the sheer number of geometry in these levels is stupendous! Combine that with the amount of texture work, and weapon model design, I have to say great job team! The game looks perfect for what you're trying to achieve. Shiny specular highlights are overrated. I'll take the foggy, dusty light shafts breaking through debris in a destroyed house any day.

Upvote 0
The presentation of RO2 is great. I love the color tone and grain of the war movie post processing setting. Post processing in general is done well, but as a whole, RO2 does not demonstrate what UE3 is capable of and the graphics are worse than many other PC exclusives of today. It also runs worse than Crysis and Crysis Warhead despite not being nearly as advanced in terms of graphics technology. Plus with CE2 you can replicate WWII Stalingrad and make it just as impressive as the standard island levels. But Tripwire is an indy developer so I don't flame them for the graphics/optimization.

As someone who works in the 3D/VFX industry I have to say that the amount of modelling detail in this game is phenomenal! If you ever get to go into free spectator mode over maps like Red October Factory, Station, or Pavlov's house, the sheer number of geometry in these levels is stupendous! Combine that with the amount of texture work, and weapon model design, I have to say great job team! The game looks perfect for what you're trying to achieve. Shiny specular highlights are overrated. I'll take the foggy, dusty light shafts breaking through debris in a destroyed house any day.

Textures are terrible, there are lots of low polygon models, and nothing is particularly impressive except maybe the war movie filter.

Upvote 0
Textures are terrible, there are lots of low polygon models, and nothing is particularly impressive except maybe the war movie filter.

Does Crysis allow for 32 vs 32 battles on an epic scale? Also, I have seen the screenshots of Crysis 2, and they weren't nearly as impressive as Crysis 1. Textures are actually quite good for what the game is designed to look like. Did you want tessellated bricks that popped out of the wall, but bring everyone's frame rates down to a crawl? Bump maps and other features can all help but all of this stuff is lost in the blur and smoke of the game, and would only bog down your videocard's memory.

Personally I run this on highest settings with all the bells and whistles at a stable 50fps, but I turn down everything to medium, simply because I don't need to see any of that fine detail when it's really about capturing points, and landing the kill shots.

Reactions: [GND] Jester
Upvote 0
Does Crysis allow for 32 vs 32 battles on an epic scale? Also, I have seen the screenshots of Crysis 2, and they weren't nearly as impressive as Crysis 1. Textures are actually quite good for what the game is designed to look like. Did you want tessellated bricks that popped out of the wall, but bring everyone's frame rates down to a crawl? Bump maps and other features can all help but all of this stuff is lost in the blur and smoke of the game, and would only bog down your videocard's memory.

Personally I run this on highest settings with all the bells and whistles at a stable 50fps, but I turn down everything to medium, simply because I don't need to see any of that fine detail when it's really about capturing points, and landing the kill shots.

Actually Crysis and Crysis warpath (or whatever the expansion was called) did have 32 player large scale territory type maps. You could also use your kill points to drop in tanks and stuff. It was actually pretty good when you got on a good server but most servers weren't so hot (laggy) so it never got much traction.

But anyway, back on topic I think RO2 looks quite good. You can sort of tell that its a small team that made it in so far that some maps look more advanced than others, but overall I think it's a good looking game. (Also fairly unique looking, which is good) I do sort of wish there was more particle stuff going on but that is a minor complaint.

I play with bloom and the film look off btw.

Reactions: [GND] Jester
Upvote 0
I got around to overclocking my new CPU. I turned textures and characters ect. on Ultra and shadows and foliage on low.

The game runs awesome. Great framerate with a few weird hitches.

That said, RO2 is my new favorite game graphically. The style is just so reserved, authentic and realistic. It doesn't have the "shine" some HUGE budget games have like face modeling ect., but the overall experiences of the graphics is very emersive.

Upvote 0
I'm running crossfired 6970's. On Ultra, the modeling and textures look amazing (as they should). I have recently experimented with lower graphic settings to see what FPS improvements I can get, and it does look progressively worse - darker, muddier, less distinct.

I wonder how many of the complaints are actually from players who have to play at lower levels of detail due to poor performance? If you're complaining about Ultra levels, then we must be looking at different things.

Upvote 0

I've played in 64 player servers in Crysis Wars. I think a hack was used to achieve this. I don't even have Crysis 2, it's a disgrace.

Tessellation would be a nice option. What kind of games would have ultra settings only? None, so that's not even a valid argument. But Tripwire is an indy developer so I don't mind a lack of DX11 effects. Lots of things stand out looking horrible, like vehicles having octagon wheels and the textures in general.

Upvote 0