• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

General feel

Holy.Death

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2011
I will be honest with you, as the new player to this game although not new to the overall idea (I mean type of play like STALKER, Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis or ARMA), I die a lot.

I know that I must learn correct approach to this gamestyle and I accept that. I know that one mistake and I'll kick the bucket. I am OK with that. I know what I signed myself for. I will just point out a few of my thoughts and questions.

- In multiplayer people rarely command their team. I rarely see squad leader or commander doing anything or being taken at all. Also their commands and overall goals aren't clear to new players if they are given at all (on day first I was just trying figure out where should I go or what to do) - I had problems to identify my squad members or my squad leader. There is no reason to follow orders too save for an actual attempt to be more team oriented player.

- This leads to lack of cooperation which in turn leads to players not playing as teams and acting as lone wolfs and turning the game into deathmatch or something like that. It was sad to me to hear that almost no one was using headset with microphone to communicate.

- Lack of more complex tutorial or manual results in people not knowing their character's potential. Only recently I did find out how to spot people carefully from cover while not exposing myself and the swiftly acquiring my target. I have not idea - for example - how to correctly measure what range of my aim for my weapon should be. Tutorial says very little about aim adjustment and it is very important since a lot of good can be done by riflemen who shoot across long distances. What we learn in tutorial is very basic of the basic which is very good but not enough, I think.

The game has great feel but is like unpolished gem that still needs some work.

Reactions: LeopoldStotch
This is all true. Teamplay falls second to racking up kills and increasing precious stats.

While you get bonus points for fighting near your commanders, I almost never know where they are and never hear from them during the game. They are too busy shooting their fancy guns that they picked the class for to bother chatting, I imagine. Sometimes they will drop arty, which is nice, but there's a 50/50 chance of being on our own positions, which is less nice.

Upvote 0
pretty much agree with everything you said.
however i dont think that even if bugs/tweaks here and there will make this game feel any better.
I think mods will.

what strange about this game is that you get more rewards for working as a team.
i.e taking points, defending zones, but it feels really dull compared to the 1st game in which you
didnt get anything!

For the VOIP, its completely broken, so nobody tends to use it.
However i would hope that people do once its fixed

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All very true. The _campaign is mandatory for all new players. Repeat, the campaign is mandatory for all new players. We don't care if you find it boring to play against stupid bots, it teaches you the game and there is a lot to learn._

As squad leader I repeat or change orders to my squad members every time I die, through the communication widget. I do it even if I only gave an order 30 seconds ago. It's no replacement for getting on voice comms and saying something, but VoIP is still pretty much **** in RO2 atm.

i.e taking points, defending zones, but it feels really dull compared to the 1st game in which you
didnt get anything!

It's only dull if you don't care about the unlock system. Personally, I'm glad a game is recognizing people for their teamwork, and kills is honestly secondary to the whole thing. (And your deaths too.) I may be getting points for just being in the cap and that feels arbitrary, but at the end of the game you know who the hell has a clue about what they're doing in RO2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Isn't simply too early for this kind of gameplay? Some players are still struggling with bugs and configuration, others are learning the basics of the game/maps, and unfortunately others are "stats whores" and just play to kill instead of capping.
I would give RO2 another month at least before trying to jump to conclusions, imho.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I will be honest with you, as the new player to this game although not new to the overall idea (I mean type of play like STALKER, Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis or ARMA), I die a lot.

I know that I must learn correct approach to this gamestyle and I accept that. I know that one mistake and I'll kick the bucket. I am OK with that. I know what I signed myself for. I will just point out a few of my thoughts and questions.

- In multiplayer people rarely command their team. I rarely see squad leader or commander doing anything or being taken at all. Also their commands and overall goals aren't clear to new players if they are given at all (on day first I was just trying figure out where should I go or what to do) - I had problems to identify my squad members or my squad leader. There is no reason to follow orders too save for an actual attempt to be more team oriented player.

- This leads to lack of cooperation which in turn leads to players not playing as teams and acting as lone wolfs and turning the game into deathmatch or something like that. It was sad to me to hear that almost no one was using headset with microphone to communicate.

- Lack of more complex tutorial or manual results in people not knowing their character's potential. Only recently I did find out how to spot people carefully from cover while not exposing myself and the swiftly acquiring my target. I have not idea - for example - how to correctly measure what range of my aim for my weapon should be. Tutorial says very little about aim adjustment and it is very important since a lot of good can be done by riflemen who shoot across long distances. What we learn in tutorial is very basic of the basic which is very good but not enough, I think.

The game has great feel but is like unpolished gem that still needs some work.

Yeah that's pretty much how pubbing works.

If you want a teamwork experience join a TR clan or realism unit.

Upvote 0
Isn't simply too early for this kind of gameplay? Some players are still struggling with bugs and configuration, others are learning the basics of the game/maps, and unfortunately others are "stats whores" and just play to kill instead of capping.
I would give RO2 another month at least before trying to jump to conclusions, imho.

I wouldn't be such a "stats whore" if I had my damn drum mag already:rolleyes:

Personally I think stats were a horrible idea to compensate for lack of realism and features. (no not old features that are missing new features that would of made the game better ex. sqaud radiomen the only way to bypass 3D VOIP to speak to other squads. I had dreams now theyre destroyed:()

Upvote 0
Modern FPSs 101: Rule #1: Player 'progression' is detrimental to team play. Whilst there are shiny unlocks and 1337 stats for the grabbing, playing co-operatively (which, if done correctly, quite often means you aren't the most productive team member kill-count-wise) pretty much flies out of the window.

We tend to use external VoIP such as Mumble & TS3. This doesn't help the rest of the side but said others are invariably blinded by the aforementioned shiny things and never listen anyway.

Upvote 0
We tend to use external VoIP such as Mumble & TS3. This doesn't help the rest of the side but said others are invariably blinded by the aforementioned shiny things and never listen anyway.

How people that use 3rd party chat to stay connected has never been the issue...it's getting people who are knowledgable in game to reach out to the rest of their team and organize them. It can be a lot like trying to herd cats....but when it works, even with just a squad or two, it's magical. The closest I think you'll ever get to that sense of commanding troops in a video game is organizing those random pubbies into a winning team. It takes a lot of effort and typing on your part though.

Upvote 0
If you want a teamwork experience join a TR clan or realism unit.
I agree that a group of individuals that you know, like and play together a lot can work together better (or work at all) than bunch of nameless individuals put in the same team, but I disagree with such approach. Pubs have potential, we shouldn't just abandon them over clans or units. Such course of action can lead to lockdown of the community.

It is possible to make complete strangers work together. Games like Left 4 Dead are good example. People must know that they have to work together. They need good squad leader and/or commander who knows what he is doing and can organize his men, not run around and shoot anything that moves.

One more thing that came to my mind:

- Chat is tiny, often obscured by other informations, you barely see who is talking to who. It is the only way to communicate outside the microphone (which is unused right now as you guys said) and should be more exposed.

Upvote 0
The closest I think you'll ever get to that sense of commanding troops in a video game is organizing those random pubbies into a winning team. It takes a lot of effort and typing on your part though.
Agreed, but so many of them simply don't care; they're grinding their stats for the next shiny thing and mission objectives are entirely separate to that and not worth wasting time accomplishing. There will always be some lone-wolves, but in RO2 with its 'progression' system it feels like the wall of silence is taller and thicker than ever before. Perhaps when (hope springs eternal) the game settles down a bit more team-centric play will begin to emerge, but 'progression' certainly doesn't improve the likelihood of that.

Upvote 0
nobody ever listens in pub over here in AU :( always telling them to push up and they just sit back and camp, i got so sick of saying "PUSH UP!!!" that i made a chat bind so it says it with one push of a button.

it also saddens me that there isn't many bolt riflers :/ mainly semi auto's and assault.

Upvote 0