• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So how DO you win a game?

skewp

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2011
Croatia
I'm puzzled, really.

I play territory pretty much 99% of the time and I still don't quite get how exactly you win a game of territory? The technical side about capturing areas, depleting reinforcements and lockdown is clear but...
At times the game simply ends when 1 side wins 1 round, at times the game goes on and the other side wins the second round so it ends at 1-1 and the server changes maps (I'm talking about playing on the same server). And at some times when its 1-1 the game goes on and you play 1 more round. What nonsense is that? :rolleyes:

One more thing, you've all probably played the single player campaign. What you get to play there is all the multiplayer maps with both the Axis and Allies. So why do we constantly have to play on the same side of the map in multiplayer, when in single player it's obvious that sides keep getting changed?
Historically, there are records of fights in Stalingrad in which a single house would be fought over and for a moment would be under German control, just to be taken by the Russians an hour later again.
Why don't the teams change sides after a round ends? This would be completely realistic and bring A LOT to overall map balance and game dynamics.

This is getting more and more confusing by the day. Just when I think I got it figured out something new happens and we inexplicably lose ther game.

Let's take Spartanovka as an example. I've lost as a russian still hanging on to E and D and more reinforcements than the Fritzs. But today I played as a German and after having captured everything up to and including D the timer ran out and we lost. I checked the total amount of team points and we had 1200 whereas the Russians had 600. Both had reinforcements left. I just don't get it.

Please I urge you TWI, bring out a manual or at least a FAQ.

Upvote 0
The proper TE match is 3 rounds, with 1 team winning 2 rounds. But a lot of servers has changed their settings to only 1 or 2 rounds, thus ending up in a lot of indecided tied matches. It is a really frustrating way to end a match, I know, but there is not much you can do about except setting up your own server and make sure that it plays an uneven number of rounds per match.

Upvote 0
The proper TE match is 3 rounds, with 1 team winning 2 rounds. But a lot of servers has changed their settings to only 1 or 2 rounds, thus ending up in a lot of indecided tied matches. It is a really frustrating way to end a match, I know, but there is not much you can do about except setting up your own server and make sure that it plays an uneven number of rounds per match.

The problem is, 1-1 is not an undecided match. The team that won the second round won the game.

And yea I really don't get the points either. I lost so many matches while holding more territory, having more points and having higher reinforcments count than the enemy :confused:.

It's just a huge cluster**** mostly caused by this ridiculous 'lockdown' concept.

Upvote 0
So it goes like this....

Capping the last point = Win.
Running out of reinforcements (and spawned players) = End.
Failing to capture a new point before the lockdown timer = End.
The Round Timer (20 mins default I think) ends = End.

So when the game ends is where it gets unclear. I believe its base decision for who wins is which team controls the larger percentage of objectives. Who controls what points is kind of like a score. The team score is added to this score and the winning team is the one with the higher objectives + team score. So if the Axis is defending their last point but they have a huge team score, they can actually win. Same for the Russians defending on Spartanvoka. But if the attacking team's score is high enough, they may win even though they didn't take the last objective, because they hold the bulk of the objectives AND they have a higher teamwork score. Certain objectives might be worth more than others at the end of the match too, but there's no way to prove that really.

The point is, objective control is more important in the long run than team score.

So when do ties occur? When both teams have won a round, it compares their overall team scores. The team with the highest team score when a tie happens is declared the winner. I assume that, on the off chance each team got 50% of the total possible objective points AND identical team work scores, you'd get another tie and would have to play a tie-breaking round.

I just had my first tie tonight that resulted in an win because we had a higher team work score. So I know how that works for sure. I'm still trying to explain how teams and win and lose maps while holding different amounts of objectives. What I've noticed is that when reinforcements have run out completely, the team that runs out and captures a bunch of undefended points before the round timer is up is usually the one that wins. Which makes me think that territory control at the end of the game is the largest, but not the only, determinant of who wins.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So it goes like this....

Capping the last point = Win.
Running out of reinforcements = End.
Failing to capture a new point before the lockdown timer = End.
The Round Timer (20 mins default I think) ends = End.

So when the game ends is where it gets unclear. I believe its base decision for who wins is based on points capped. Who controls what points is kind of like a score. The team score is added to this score and the winner is whose ever is higher. So if the Axis is defending their last point but they have a huge team score, they can actually win. Same for the Russians defending on Spartanvoka. But if the attacking team's score is high enough, they may win even though they didn't take the last objective.

The point is, objective control is more important in the long run than your team score.

So when do ties occur? When both teams have won a round, it compares their overall team scores. The team with the highest team score when a tie happens is declared the winner. I assume that, on the off chance each team got 50% of the total possible objective points AND identical team work scores, you'd get another tie and would have to play a tie-breaking round.

I just had my first tie tonight that resulted in an win because we had a higher team work score. So I know how that works for sure. I'm still trying to explain how teams and win and lose maps while holding different amounts of objectives. What I've noticed is that when reinforcements have run out completely, the team that runs out and captures a bunch of undefended points before the round timer is up is usually the one that wins. Which makes me think that territory control at the end of the game is the largest, but not the only, determinant of who wins.

You may well be right, but that is ridiculously complicated. Especially when we don't have an official explanation. And if you're right, why is there no way to tell who is winning until the end of the round? One should be able to keep track of who's winning at all times, it's impossible to adjust tactics when you don't know what's going on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I probably could have explained it more concisely....but yeah, it is pretty convoluted. There are things I like about it (yes, even lock down) but the game needs to give clearer messages about what the hell just happened. Was lockdown reached? Is the match timer up? How much are these objectives worth, anyways?

I like the system, it accounts for a lot of variables and that's cool. It just needs to do a much better job of explaining itself. The campaign implies that it's very straight forward, but it's not at all. I mean, that's just how you win. That's not even how territory control changes and shifts and protected areas.

Sometimes I think people fail to appreciate, despite playing the game, how much work they put into trying to make an interesting and dynamic meta game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I probably could have explained it more concisely....but yeah, it is pretty convoluted. There are things I like about it (yes, even lock down) but the game needs to give clearer messages about what the hell just happened. Was lockdown reached? Is the match timer up? How much are these objectives worth, anyways?

I like the system, it accounts for a lot of variables and that's cool. It just needs to do a much better job of explaining itself. The campaign implies its very straight forward, but it's not at all. I mean, that's just how you win. That's not even how territory control changes and shifts and protected areas.

Sometimes I think people fail to appreciate, despite playing the game, how much work they put into trying to make an interesting and dynamic meta game.

Personally I quite like complicated mechanics, but you can't release a game to the public where people are just shooting in the dark without catching flak. I mean how hard is it to explain the most elementary game mechanics in a pdf or something? The game has been under development for 5 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: skewp
Upvote 0
It's becoming more common these days with digitally distributed games, and it's a real shame. I read manuals when they're provided, and I love good manuals, that not only are detailed but are flavorful. How cool would it be to have an RO2 manual that's presented like a trashed soldier's field manual? I'd even settle for a .pdf.

Anyways, I know a lot of people loathe lockdown and aren't going to be convinced to like it. I just hope TWI sticks to their guns, and the game they made. (And puts out a manual! Seriously, the campaign tells you a lot, but even it misses a ton of additional little things like crouching behind emplaced weapons, the tank periscope and...oh yeah...how this crazy *** objective thing works!)

Upvote 0

I like the system, it accounts for a lot of variables and that's cool. It just needs to do a much better job of explaining itself. The campaign implies that it's very straight forward, but it's not at all. I mean, that's just how you win. That's not even how territory control changes and shifts and protected areas.

Lol yea about the crouching behind MG emplacements. I totally forgot you could do that. Then I actually read a hint here on the forum and remembered I saw Ramm do it on that E3 video "ages" ago...Seriously, we need some kind of written game description. So many things are completely unclear.

Upvote 0
I only play TE as i think CD is the most retarded gamemode ever...

To win TE its not really hard, rush the caps , cap the cap, move on, grab kills along the way. What I noticed about myself and other RO2 player is, im different. Most people I see would crawl into the cap, which I do as well, but I kind of have that CS:S AWP feel in me when I play RO... 1 shot 1 kill, who ever gets the shot off first wins...

From me attacking obj and kills, i always avg top 5.

If only some of my friends bought RO, be so many more WON games than LOST, i cant do everything by myself it seems sometimes...

Upvote 0
This is getting more and more confusing by the day. Just when I think I got it figured out something new happens and we inexplicably lose ther game.

Let's take Spartanovka as an example. I've lost as a russian still hanging on to E and D and more reinforcements than the Fritzs. But today I played as a German and after having captured everything up to and including D the timer ran out and we lost. I checked the total amount of team points and we had 1200 whereas the Russians had 600. Both had reinforcements left. I just don't get it.

Please I urge you TWI, bring out a manual or at least a FAQ.

Read the objectives, it's pretty clear.

Germans have to capture ALL territories (including Town Hall). If you don't, you lose regardless of the points.

Upvote 0
I only play TE as i think CD is the most retarded gamemode ever...

To win TE its not really hard, rush the caps , cap the cap, move on, grab kills along the way. What I noticed about myself and other RO2 player is, im different. Most people I see would crawl into the cap, which I do as well, but I kind of have that CS:S AWP feel in me when I play RO... 1 shot 1 kill, who ever gets the shot off first wins...

From me attacking obj and kills, i always avg top 5.

If only some of my friends bought RO, be so many more WON games than LOST, i cant do everything by myself it seems sometimes...

You are in the wrong thread.
There is also nothing wrong with 1 shot 1 kill. Let's meet, I'll shoot you with the Kar98 in the chest so we check if it's realistic.

Read the objectives, it's pretty clear.

Germans have to capture ALL territories (including Town Hall). If you don't, you lose regardless of the points.

Wrong. Yesterday I was playing Spartanovka on the Russian side. I was the commander, I artied the Germans so hard they couldn't go past the church. Moments later the game ended. Axis won...Talk about objectives...

That Spartanovka moment is what made me start this thread in the first place. There is absolutely no indication of who's winning the map at any given time. On countless occasions I was 100% positive that we were hammering the opposing team, the scoreboard came and the game said my team lost. It's inexplicably confusing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You are in the wrong thread.
There is also nothing wrong with 1 shot 1 kill. Let's meet, I'll shoot you with the Kar98 in the chest so we check if it's realistic.

Wrong. Yesterday I was playing Spartanovka on the Russian side. I was the commander, I artied the Germans so hard they couldn't go past the church. Moments later the game ended. Axis won...Talk about objectives...

That Spartanovka moment is what made me start this thread in the first place. There is absolutely no indication of who's winning the map at any given time. On countless occasions I was 100% positive that we were hammering the opposing team, the scoreboard came and the game said my team lost. It's inexplicably confusing.

That's strange

funny, few days ago when I was playing Commisioners hours both Allies and Germans won, both songs were playing at the same time.

No joke

Upvote 0