• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I love the fact that soldiers talk with each other

Honestly, I hate this canned voice trend in video games now. Sure it adds to the immersion, but it's just too exploitable, especially in BFBC2, BF3 Alpha, and to some extent in RO2. Players can just spam grenades, wait for the yell of "GRENADE!!!" and find the guys and hose them down. It really sucks when I'm sneaking around, and a bad guy throws a nade, and my guy is yelling his head-off like a complete retard, ending with me dead.

Reactions: Zookerman
Upvote 0
Honestly, I hate this canned voice trend in video games now. Sure it adds to the immersion, but it's just too exploitable, especially in BFBC2, BF3 Alpha, and to some extent in RO2. Players can just spam grenades, wait for the yell of "GRENADE!!!" and find the guys and hose them down. It really sucks when I'm sneaking around, and a bad guy throws a nade, and my guy is yelling his head-off like a complete retard, ending with me dead.

only you have a limited number of grenades, and it only lets you know there is someone in the area, not exactly where they are. And you then give your position away also.

It doesnt quite end up how you make it sound.

Reactions: Poerisija
Upvote 0

Alternative is that the game plays like two teams of snipers(some with heavy weapons), sneaking around the map with absolute noise discipline.

I suspect the current method of having them talk occasionally is closer to actual non-special forces combat.

Upvote 0
I must admit i'm split on exactly how much i like this feature. Yes is does add alot of immersion. But it can also really break it in certain situations.

For example try playing countdow will small numbers, obvisouly this premotes a much slower gamepace anyway. You end up moving/sneaking alot more tactically. Then suddenly you shout something out giving you away....

More than once i've had a guy manage to sneak past me, by chance he hasnt seen me (i havent seen him at this point), then he shouts something out, i turn around and kill him. Yeah good for me, but still as i've had this happen to me it does get annoying.

Now i'm not talking about the "GRENADE" or "Reloading...", its more just the general chat that sometimes comes out.

I think the best solution would be a serverside option, at least then we would have some form of control over it. After all i still have my "V" key, if i feel like taunting.

Upvote 0
The automatic speech system is one of the great triumph features of the game. I haven't seen anything anywhere close to it in any game, and I've been thinking about that games need stuff like this for a long time, to make up for the lacking communication going on.

Unfortunately there is still a hardcore issue of lackning communication on some essential things, like talking to your tank driver/gunner, warning people of that MG or tank that is around the corner they are running towards etc. The system only reaches some ways by shouting out "get down, snajper!", MG, grenade and maybe some more things.

I applaud the effort and implementation overall. Just incredible. So much ambience and useful information fed to the player that most probably just take it for granted. I have the voice amount set to maximum. A few I'd like to not hear again like "never get these faces out of my mind" and "look what they did to our homes". But not the rest.

Upvote 0
Guys I buyed retail so i just got the game but must download it anyway! Can you answer me a question, do the germans speak english or and the russian do they speak native language or englsih?:confused:

Your team speaks in English, and the other team speaks in their respective language.

That way, you can understand the voice commands and warnings from your team, but your enemy is indecipherable.

Reactions: Unterscharfuhrer
Upvote 0
Your team speaks in English, and the other team speaks in their respective language.

That way, you can understand the voice commands and warnings from your team, but your enemy is indecipherable.
There is one recurring line, spoken in a certain way... "angriff menner, angriff!" "Angriff!". Sounds like this hardened angry german veteran spamming aggressive speak. Funny stuff. :)

Upvote 0
was sneaking around a house

then ones i was next to a room, i suddenly heard voice with German accent (dont remember what they were saying)

so I trow a nade in there and hear one scream . GRANATE!!!(or whatever), and one of them running out of the room at full speed only to be shot dead and when nade exploaded i looked inside and 2nd one didnt make it out:p

Yeah , it's great !

Upvote 0
In Bad Company 2 I felt like the voices lacked emotion. They said all the necessary tacticool stuff and the obligatory "got you mother ****er" and stuff like that. But I never really cheered for it. I rarely benefited from hearing the enemy.

In RO2 it feels different. From the death moans to the curses to the general orders...all the voices just sound more believable and put me in the moment. Unlike BC2 where I came to loathe the dominant American Marine voice.

And I dunno, maybe RO2's positional audio is slightly sharper than BC2's, because I can locate people through their voices a lot more precisely too.

Upvote 0
In RO2 it feels different. From the death moans to the curses to the general orders...all the voices just sound more believable and put me in the moment. Unlike BC2 where I came to loathe the dominant American Marine voice.

I totally agree with this. One of the best times this is displayed is when a russian will say something along the line of "It's okay, the bleeding has stopped *heavy breathing* I can kill more!" He just sounds so frantic and crazy, I love it!

Upvote 0
And I love all the screaming in a close quarters melee match. I'll be on Elevator as Russians on like the 3rd floor...you'll hear the typical combat noises....and then suddenly you'll hear this cacophony of Germans and Russians screaming bloody murder at each other. I wasn't even in the fight and it was really unsettling. Your mind starts inventing scenarios for what you can't see.

Upvote 0
I totally agree with this. One of the best times this is displayed is when a russian will say something along the line of "It's okay, the bleeding has stopped *heavy breathing* I can kill more!" He just sounds so frantic and crazy, I love it!

I do particularly love that line. He sounds like an absolute maniac.

Still, my favorite is when it gets quiet and your character boasts "I BET DOSE FASCISTS ARE SHEETING DEYR PANTS!" We were in clan training the other day and we couldn't get them to shut up about fascist fecal fouling.

Upvote 0
You know what would add to the intensity and immersion? Native voices.

I don't think so. Not being able to understand the alerts my squadmates are shouting at me would really suck. The enemy team is in their respective language, so it's realistic in the sense that I'm clueless as to what they're saying. But making voice binds useless to anyone who isn't actively reading the chat window at all times is kind of cruel.

Upvote 0
Native voices are an immersion preference or not, IMO. Understanding is more important I think. That said, last night on Spartanovka I heard Russian Radio chatter calling in artillery (in their native tongue) and told my squad mates we were about to get shelled. They were like "how do you know?" And I said "I may not know Russian, but I know what artillery coordinates sound like in any language."

Shortly after, the arty came down.

Upvote 0
Someone already figured out how to change the voices to native, the sound files are still located somewhere in the RO2 folders.
I'm sure its just a matter of time before Tripwire makes it selectable, and if not, spending 10 minutes rigging the game the way you like it is not that hard. Anyone whining about this is really just being picky, all of the sounds are made and ready to use.

Upvote 0