• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapon unlocks will cause problems

Higgs

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2011
So one thing that stands out in my mind after playing RO2 is how a few of the German weapons are far easier to use than their Soviet equivalents. This is not neccessarily a bad thing and is probably historically accurate. However, what I have a problem with is that TWI has decided to add some pretty ridiculous unlocks for axis weapons which already have an advantage.

The MGs are unbalanced but this seems historically accurate to me. The MG-34 has a larger ammo capacity, better sights for long range kills, less recoil and a higher rate of fire, it is clearly the better weapon. However, knowing that Soviet MGers are already at a disadvantage why would you give the MG-34 rare 75-round saddle drums, while giving the DP-28 nothing...

The SMGs are really two different beasts. The MP-40 is really easy to pick up and start racking up kills. With low recoil and a balanced rate of fire, the German SMGer is able to be effective at both close and mid-to-long range. The PPSH-41 has crazy recoil and a crazy rate of fire. This weapon is very effective at close range but suffers from limitations at mid-to-long range. Once again these differences are really great and give both weapons a unique identity. This will be ruined when players who have stuck with the quirks of the PPSH-41 long enough to unlock the drum mag are countered with the MP-40/II (a failed design in reality). The drum mag will allow the PPSH-41 to really shine at close range, while still being limited at mid-to-long range. The MP-40 is already a very balanced and capable weapon, it doesn't need the extra ammo capacity.

As for the prototypes, the MKB is ridiculously easy to use while the AVT-40 is ridiculously difficullt to use. Seems accurate. I don't really have any complaints with their unlocks specifically...

Bolt-action rifles, semi-auto rifles and their respective unlocks are more or less on par in with each other. No complaints from me.

IMO, once everyone has unlocked all the upgrades and the ability to use enemy weapons, many russian weapons will be completely outclassed and rarely used, taking a lot of variety out of RO2.
What do you guys think?

In the long run, everyone will have access to the same equipment.

You will see all Russian MGs using their hero unlocks of upgraded mg38 instead of the DP.

I noticed this right away, but i think they will eventually correct it with extra weapons or unlocks.

The only real problem is that MGs are definately not balanced for the long run, the Russian has no upgrades, and is already inferior, but ill end up with the mg38 unlocked eventually.

So i agree partially with your statment, but it will eventually be fixed. i would assume.

Upvote 0
Honestly if you play with the Russian weapons enough, you become equally proficient. It does take a bit more effort though.

Everything else aside, the inclusion of the MP-40/II is absurd. They would have been much better served by inserting an unlockable Beretta Modello 38 with a 40rd mag instead. The Italians, Germans, and Romanians all used it, all of whom were present in the 6th Army AO. Far more realistic than a gun that never worked out its growing pains.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Honestly if you play with the Russian weapons enough, you become equally proficient. It does take a bit more effort though.

Everything else aside, the inclusion of the MP-40/II is absurd.

MY DPs clip never gets bigger. I will always be limited to that many rounds, which has actually cost me kills before. As soon as i get access to the mg38, ill be using for its higher rate of fire, and its much larger ammo supply before a reload.

Upvote 0
MY DPs clip never gets bigger. I will always be limited to that many rounds, which has actually cost me kills before. As soon as i get access to the mg38, ill be using for its higher rate of fire, and its much larger ammo supply before a reload.
The unlock system is greatly to the advantage of the axis.
MG34>DP28,
Upgraded MG34 >>>>>>>>>>>DP-28
MP40>Stick mag PPSh
MP40/II ?= Drum mag PPSh
MkB42 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AVT-40
The only superior unlock the allies have is the x4 SVT-40.

Let's think what we'd have without unlocks:
MG34>DP28
MP40<PPSh-41 (with the drums and fire selector it deserves)
And the rest is pretty much equal. If it weren't for unlocks, we'd have much better balance.

Upvote 0
MG34>DP28
MP40<PPSh-41 (with the drums and fire selector it deserves)
And the rest is pretty much equal. If it weren't for unlocks, we'd have much better balance.
Even when you add the MKB and AVT thats fine, but when you have to grind the drum mag AND the fire selector for ages just for the sake of unlocks the balance goes down the drain.

Gotta admit the realism fags, or.. prophets were right. :(

Upvote 0
You know what we need?
A BLOODY EXPLANATION.
Please explain to us, Tripwire. What compelled you to add this system? Didn't you foresee that it would be horrible for balance? Why did you not even consider giving us proper alternatives? Why did you decide to give experienced players blatant upgrades, instead of the sidegrades seen in other games?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Everything else aside, the inclusion of the MP-40/II is absurd. They would have been much better served by inserting an unlockable Beretta Modello 38 with a 40rd mag instead. The Italians, Germans, and Romanians all used it, all of whom were present in the 6th Army AO. Far more realistic than a gun that never worked out its growing pains.

I don't really have a problem with the Russian weapons being more difficult to use, just that the Axis are given further advantages. It does make me wonder why "elite" players are supposely sticking with the Axis when the Soviets offer far more of a challenge. Perhaps it's a myth.

The MAB 38 would at least be plausible. The Germans prized it as a superior SMG. As you say the Italians were in the AO, so it is likely that a few made it into Stalingrad. I wouldn't want to see all the Axis SMGers carrying them however.

Upvote 0