• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SVT40 is WRONG. please fix it!

I don't know what's wrong with this community these days, I don't see why people who want some historical accuracy regarding the weapons get so ridiculed every time. I think it matters to people when they're told how much attention to detail is given, only to be horribly lied to and to see that 2008 games like World at War paid more attention to (visual) historical accuracy than Red Orchestra (unlocks aside). Especially considering RO1 was well known for its attention to detail.

The Mosin Nagant has some skin issues that was cleared up in time for the release, but if people didn't make a big deal about it they wouldn't have given a **** at all. There's no strive on their behalf for the kind of historical accuracy the game 'deserves', I don't know why or how this blaze attitude came along, maybe the personnel are entirely different from RO1 to RO2, or there must have been significant personnel changes in key areas.

Upvote 0
Excellent thread - making fun of people's knowledge, and calling them rivet counters
because they pointed out correctly that the ingame SVT-40 was modeled after post war re-arsenal.

Me, I had no idea of any of this till I stumbled upon the topic and googled a bit. I'm like a tourist who just found out that he's been duped into buying a genuine Amazonian spear

One of the main reason I'm into RO2, if not the main, is because it's one of the very few games where guns look and feel real.

So why drop a bar on this? Why insist it's good enough for me, now that the facts are in open?

As some have already said it's not a huge issue to most.
But why make an issue by acting like... this

Are you serious? You don't know why? For christs sake, they have a buggy game to fix with all kinds of problems and you people think the colour of the bolt on a gun is killing immersion and it's worth bringing up right now!

/me walks off

Upvote 0
Either way, it's the best example of a pristine SVT-40 I've ever seen, and the one in game is good enough for me.

You could make a VR totally realistic fully immersive combat simulator, and someone will complain that the serial number on the rifle is from 1989, but the sling swivel is clearly from a 1990 model...

You can't win, really. :p

Upvote 0
this would be a job for a the art team, who probably have nothing to do with all the various bugs and things everyone is complaining about right now.

The art is 50% of the game. It has a major impact on the performance of the game. At the moment it has been optimised for a few types of system, but it has turned out that has caused problems in others. In fact, it seems to me the art team probably have the hardest job at the moment. They are going to have to find a way to squeeze out more performance without losing much graphical prettiness.

My guess is they are pulling their hair out right now.

Reactions: LMAOser
Upvote 0
I'm sitting at my desk at work, so I can't see firsthand, but does the SVT40 in-game actually have an electropenciled serial on the bolt? I thought the Russians did all the electropenciling to match mis-matched gunparts after the war.

Most importantly... who has time to look, and why do you care?

Maybe you should be concentrating on covering your arcs, rather than admiring your weapon, soldier! :p

Upvote 0
You could make a VR totally realistic fully immersive combat simulator, and someone will complain that the serial number on the rifle is from 1989, but the sling swivel is clearly from a 1990 model...

You can't win, really. :p

Actually in this case it would be pretty easy to win, by changing the color of the bolt and coloring over the electropenciling.

ETA: I'm still not advocating it be changed over the very real performance/etc issues, but hearing "Oh wow, that's good to know, we'll put that in down the line" would have been 1000x better than "I don't care if it's wrong, it's good enough for me".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think anyone in here is advocating that this should be prioritized over fixing bugs and performance issues. It's just something worth looking into one day. I used to have a German K98 Mauser that was re-arsenaled in Yugoslavia after the war, so the Nazi markings were buffed off and the Yugo crest was stamped in their place. Other than that, nothing was changed. So if that Yugo re-arsenal was put in the game instead of the classic K98, most people still probably wouldn't notice, but some would see that odd crest on the receiver and think, hmm...that's not how that gun looked in 1942.

Upvote 0
Examples are a lot out there: [...] Wolfenstein 2009[...]

What was bad about the new Wolfenstein? Having played Wolf 3d as a toddler without permission of my father and again RTCW as a ~11 yo (I had to pirate it as it is forbidden in Germany), I didn't find anything specificly bad that would have permitted me from playing the game. It was a bit weird and felt shallow. But compared to other AAA sequels, it was pure gold.

I liked the unlock system and somehow I even liked the powers. Definitely one of the better games, 8/10 maybe.

Upvote 0
Actually in this case it would be pretty easy to win, by changing the color of the bolt and coloring over the electropenciling.

Except if a patch came out that had a "FIXED!" sign beside "bolt colour" and not "performance issues" people will go absolutely ****ing nuts. We all know it.

In the FUTURE, when the game is working for everyone and little things like this are the only problems left, then of course they should make it more realistic, that is what they are after. But they are after a working game before they are after an accurate game.

That is what I meant by they can't win. If they don't address it RIGHT NOW, it seems, people like you will complain and complain and blow it out of all proportion. If they DO fix it now, other people will complain and complain and blow it out of all proportion. TWI can't win in this case because two separate kinds of customer want two separate kinds of support and doing it for one means not doing it (or delaying it) for the other, or at least being perceived to have delayed it.

They have simply prioritised game breaking bugs over immersion breaking bugs. Seems reasonable, to me. Have patience.

ETA: I'm still not advocating it be changed over the very real performance/etc issues, but hearing "Oh wow, that's good to know, we'll put that in down the line" would have been 1000x better than "I don't care if it's wrong, it's good enough for me".

I can see what you're saying and I do agree, but I also know that Ramm-Jaeger has gone from almost hero status to pariah status overnight, and he is having to deal with major issues with a fraction of the resources that other companies have, but the crowd of angry villagers is expecting SUPERIOR support than even EA gives.

It's not fair on TWI and the people involved to ignore their position. He is telling you he has far more stressful and important things to worry about... and you're trying to INCREASE the stress levels.

Have a little human compassion. They aren't trying to screw you over, but they are human beings under extreme stress, and people don't act normally under such conditions. He is just cutting to the chase. He hasn't got time to even think about this stuff yet. Give him some breathing room so that he can lower his stress levels and actually do the stuff we ALL want... when he can.

Upvote 0
Except if a patch came out that had a "FIXED!" sign beside "bolt colour" and not "performance issues" people will go absolutely ****ing nuts. We all know it.

Haha, point taken. However I have been repeatedly saying through this thread that I don't consider this to be priority, I just did not like the "It's good enough for me, despite being obviously wrong" response.

Yeah it's comparatively insignificant, but if he'd just acknowledged it and put it in it's proper, way @ the bottom of the list, spot in his priorities, this thread would have died on page 1 with everyone happy.

If you're so stressed out you can't deal with customers/friends in an appropriate manner, take a break! Let someone who gets paid to deal with crazy stitch nazis do it, rather than clarify that you don't actually know what you're talking about and piss people off.

Upvote 0
Haha, point taken. However I have been repeatedly saying through this thread that I don't consider this to be priority, I just did not like the "It's good enough for me, despite being obviously wrong" response.

Fair enough. I wasn't meaning you personally, per se, but everyone. It's not that any one person is demanding it over other issues, it's the piling on effect of having dozens of people pipe in and go "yeah, wtf, man fix it NOW!!!1" The wave of pressure builds into a crescendo of complaints that when asked, no one ever says is really as important as the overall effect is making it seem.

This is a texture issue at most. It's a simple fix, but time consuming and requiring a patch. Maybe it has already been fixed by someone else and its sitting buried in a list of "fixed" things while they keep pouring through the "not fixed" things. They are in sensory overload, to a degree. Some stuff is being "blanked out" by the brain just so they can concentrate on the task at hand. It's human nature.

Yeah it's comparatively insignificant, but if he'd just acknowledged it and put it in it's proper, way @ the bottom of the list, spot in his priorities, this thread would have died on page 1 with everyone happy.

See? Now you are piling on about something that isn't even an issue. You have made ONE problem into TWO problems... and are demanding satisfaction on both now.

For what? A texture you shouldn't even really be looking at that often?

If you're so stressed out you can't deal with customers/friends in an appropriate manner, take a break!

:eek:

Are you serious? The thread is basically screaming for them to fix a minor texture issue, and now you're saying if he is getting stressed because of it he should take a break, and not even address the thread?

Let someone who gets paid to deal with crazy stitch nazis do it, rather than clarify that you don't actually know what you're talking about and piss people off.

I read the same post and nowhere in that post did he say anything that showed he doesn't know what he is talking about. He simply said he had far more important things to worry about, and the gun in game looks like a real one at least, so it is good enough for him.

"Good enough" is a phrase usually used when you know it's not perfect. Anyone with some sort of English language skills should know that. So for you to be getting so pissy about it is simply childish.

Upvote 0

Agree

Eloquent in its simplicity...

Tripwire really should think through what they want to say before they go spouting off what's "good enough" for them.

As a paying customer I really don't care what's good enough for them, I care about what's good enough for me...if they don't want to listen to me that is their choice, but everyone is seeing Tripwire's poor attitude toward genuine customer complaints in these types of threads, especially Ro1 vets (call us rivet counters, call us obsessive, call us too detail oriented...fine) who put Tripwire on the map by buying and touting Ro1 which placed a great deal of emphasis on accuracy and realism...here we are in Ro2-era and now all of a sudden Tripwire seems like they can't be bothered with such things as historical accuracy...

Maybe instead of just copying whatever personal SVT-40 Tripwire had lying around, they could have done a quick Google search like the OP did...but that seems like too much to ask of Tripwire I guess...after all it's "good enough" for them....:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
This has the potential to actually add to the immersion, and frankly it will take about 20min to correct.

Haha, I bet a modder could do it faster...and probably that's where we will have to turn for this fix....Tripwire hasn't responded to this thread after they said it was "good enough", I'm sure they still feel the same way...

Upvote 0
This has the potential to actually add to the immersion, and frankly it will take about 20min to correct.

Really? You know this how? Just what does TWI have to do to roll out a patch on Steam? You clearly know all about it, so do tell.

The only pricks I see around here have a bee in their bonnet about a texture they shouldn't even be looking at.

Upvote 0