• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad Leaders

Wodin

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2006
Liverpool UK
A big plead to anyone who takes on the role of SL.

For gods sake please don't go flights of stairs to take pop shots out of a window. Even in places like the Grain Elevator it's not a good idea to be stand on the fourth floor as the Russians at the start of the game and all the way through...you should be defending any obj's on the or near the obj...not god knows how many flights of stairs away from it. Poeple spanw near you as they think you'll actaully be making a difference. If you want to stand at windows at not actaully be proactive aleast be a rifleman.

If you an SL you should be thinking about taking the Obj. I don't know how many times I've spawned to be near the SL...only to find he is three flights up standing at a window sniping with his smg. SO I have to run all the way back down to try and actualy do something.

On another point...looks like I have to quit the unit I've joined due to the game alot of the time being unplayable...especially with regards to lag...I have 8 gigs on the way and if that doesn't work then I will be annoyed.

Reactions: Tomten
I play maybe 80-90% of the time as squad leader and still have 0 skill points in that :D
Same here. Luckily I really don't give a **** about the skills or leveling up. :p

I mostly play as SL but its really hard, I cant communicate, noone communicates with me, I never know where my soldiers are, I can give some rudimentary orders that they wont follow. There is now difference between SQ or any other grunt. Why should we bother than?
Why should you bother? Because a well played SL is an integral part of the team. You lay down smoke to cover your team, you call out artillery locations for your TL, you function as a mobile spawn point.

If your squad does not follow your orders, then that's not the fault of the SL class, but your stupid squad mates. That, or maybe you're just giving bad orders.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Funny enough the 8gigs helped..alot..thing was Win 7 64bit with just 2 gigs is asking for trouble...and boy was it trouble...

Now I'm one of the first when a new map has just loaded...instea dof missing out on the first 20secs of the game.

Also I've had a much smoother game especially on the bigger maps which could be a problem especially for the first 4 mins or so...at times it neve rgot better at all.

It only cost

Upvote 0
Same here. Luckily I really don't give a **** about the skills or leveling up. :p

Why should you bother? Because a well played SL is an integral part of the team. You lay down smoke to cover your team, you call out artillery locations for your TL, you function as a mobile spawn point.

If your squad does not follow your orders, then that's not the fault of the SL class, but your stupid squad mates. That, or maybe you're just giving bad orders.
Dude what servers do you play on? The ones that I'm in are full of people that dont care about SL or his orders or anything else except they personal kill score.
If only voip would work maybe things would be different.

Upvote 0
I mostly play as SL but its really hard, I cant communicate, noone communicates with me, I never know where my soldiers are, I can give some rudimentary orders that they wont follow. There is now difference between SQ or any other grunt. Why should we bother than?

Maybe the commands should be more visually shown on the screen? Tactical screen should come up or something like that. Of course that might affect your aiming a bit too much :D

Upvote 0
SL will get better when VoIP is fixed. 'Til then it's hard to communicate effectively.

Though I really, really wish TWI would find a way to give SLs an incentive to hang back and function as SLs should. Right now a good SL will be making zero class progress, which is lame.

Is it possible to give them points for marking artillery targets, letting people safely spawn on them, things like that?

Upvote 0
That's a good idea Anjelous. Give the SL some incentive to fix himself in a more supportive role - points for marking artillery (that are used), perhaps points for fireteam commands being followed out, etc etc. I wonder how far they could take it.

I mainly play SL when I play the game with friends and it's great when they are able to spawn on me; when it works. Half the time even though they select me it spawns them at 1 or 2. But if you can get yourself in a nice spot near an objective and let your squad spawn on you, you can really keep up the pressure and sometimes it's necessary for a timely cap.

Proper usage of smoke cover can easily turn a deadly approach into a safe one. I use it all the time. Frankly, I don't think Squad Leaders use their smoke enough.

I remember in Darkest Hour doing some SL training with the 29th ID and someone gave me some really sensible advice: "You can't lead if you're dead". Don't run guns blazing right down the middle to the Town Hall on Spart if you're a SL. That's the grunts job.

Upvote 0
i feel like all the XP generated by SL is counted towards TL. according to my stats my fav class is commander, which i never actually played. been a squad leader most of the time though.
although it's pretty pointles being a SL in random games. successfully fulfilling your role does not grant you anything. ok, you get a nice gun, but what for? as you are supposed to be out of any cap zone hiding well, there's not much you can shoot at and you dont get cap points aswell.
i think like one team-point for every spawned squad member would help it at least a bit. i like the ideas mentioned above like score for successful arty etc.
but first of all the actual lvl up on SL has to be fixed asap!

Upvote 0