• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New animations

New shooting, and zed dying animations would be cool.
Like if you hit a clot with a altfire fireaxe the clot splits in two, or changing a little bit the hunting shotgun, reload would be ''one handed reload'' u know?:D

There is no dying animations. They become a ragdoll when they die. Splitting something in 2 would require TWI to completely reanimate every specimen and change their entire rig setup.

Upvote 0
There is no dying animations. They become a ragdoll when they die. Splitting something in 2 would require TWI to completely reanimate every specimen and change their entire rig setup.

Not really. I suppose it could be done in an oldschool game developing way: at the death from axe's alt-fire zed's model vanishes and two (separately modeled) halves are spawned with last know zed's coordinates and given unto ragdoll system. It's quite lot of work still, so I doubt we'll be seeing this implemented. But in KF 2... that would be quite awesome.

Upvote 0
Not really. I suppose it could be done in an oldschool game developing way: at the death from axe's alt-fire zed's model vanishes and two (separately modeled) halves are spawned with last know zed's coordinates and given unto ragdoll system. It's quite lot of work still, so I doubt we'll be seeing this implemented. But in KF 2... that would be quite awesome.

Spawning of karma ragdoll actors and deletion of them accurately in realtime is quite a bit of work but it seems less complex than my idea. But then again you have to create 2 models of the specimen cut into 2 with their own rigs and animation, which is a lot of work. Plus this is rather unrealistic; It takes a lot to cut from the top of your skull, down through every bone in your spine, your rib cage, the pelvic bone and connective tissues and such. Unless your a terminator, it's not happening anytime soon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What might have been fun would have been to have the clots reduced to a blackened, smoking skeleton by the Firebug, sort of like the way the Link Gun alt-fire works in UT2003/2004. Maybe next time...

I want the "impossible reload".

In a sense, we already have a form of impossible reload for the pistols. Some magic, non-existent button causes the slide to fly back and lock in the open position, rather than as the result of the last round being fired and the slide latching on the follower of the empty magazine. Maybe it was thought this seemed more "logical" for the mid-magazine reload animation. (?)

To be sure, it isn't a big issue, but almost everyone who has either played or watched the game here for a while has independently commented, "What's the deal when reloading the pistol?" They know that the slide shouldn't ever be forward on an empty chamber, at least, not with the pistols currently included in the game. Yeah, while there certainly is an on-screen "rounds remaining" indicator, there is also a simple elegance to: if the slide is forward, you have at least one round left and are ready to shoot; if it's locked rearward, you're empty.

I can't quite envision blastmybrainoff's "one handed reload" of the HS, ro_sauce's crook-of-the-arm method notwithstanding. If we're fantasizing about new HS loading animations, how about adding automatic ejectors, to shave a bit of time off a reload op? Not like there aren't such things.

Reactions: Lacedaemonius
Upvote 0
yeah someone got lazy on the coding, in ro/dh there are separate reloading animations, for non-empty mags, and for empty mags, the latter including the slide/bolt in open position, and release of slide/bolt, whereas the former animation doesnt have a bolt/slide cock, because there is a round chambered.

(you can ignore this)----also, just to correct a little bit, most gun's bolts/slide dont latch on the mag's follower, the follower just lifts a catch that holds the slide/bolt open.
there are some guns that DO rely on the mag's follower to hold open the bolt/slide, but if the mag is removed then the bolt/slide releases into the forward position. i think the yugo m70 or some romak variants do this, which irks me because that is not a good design.

so we just need to toss in a little bit more code to say "hey if the guns not empty, play this reload, but if it is empty, then play this one, and adjust the ammo count necessarily (15+1 chambered, etc)."
i think sorrow's usp40 has this, but i cant remember.

another thing you can simply do in code, without having to reanimate, is to say "collapse these vertices to this bone" or something similar, like how the bloat gets "halved" or you can say "apply this rgb to this pawn's texture" or "attach smoke emitter to this pawn when burned up" there's lots of things that can be done easily, its just nobody has bothered to do it (we all have our projects). plus the emitter stuff might be too much for some ppl's computers/laptops.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Spawning of karma ragdoll actors and deletion of them accurately in realtime is quite a bit of work but it seems less complex than my idea. But then again you have to create 2 models of the specimen cut into 2 with their own rigs and animation, which is a lot of work. Plus this is rather unrealistic; It takes a lot to cut from the top of your skull, down through every bone in your spine, your rib cage, the pelvic bone and connective tissues and such. Unless your a terminator, it's not happening anytime soon.

Yeah like kf is so realistic now? running with knife is faster etc. BUT IT DOESNT HAVE TO BE REALISTIC there's the point! And zombz are weak and dilapitated, they are like rotten trees:D

Reactions: Lacedaemonius
Upvote 0