• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What RO2 needs...

Hi everyone.

To start this is a semi-complain thread so please don't troll, but what I’m hoping to achieve is a list of things that should be added for a more realistic feel. Lastly I’ll try and give reasons for and perhaps against to balance the argument as well as emphasise the fact that this could just be a server side decision. So you can be Casual-RO2 or Realism-RO2.

Anyway. Onwards.

Realistic Damage System.

When you're shot you can apply a magic bandage and hey-presto, you're fine again. Rather than this it should be a more realistic damage system where if you're shot in the leg you're limping, your movement is slowed and your stamina is practically zero. You can't jump either and sprinting is out of the question. Shot in the arm means your weapon sway is significantly increased. And lastly a shot in the chest (that doesn't kill) should cause a slow bleed out that a bandage only slows down and an interesting screen effect (similar to the current bleed out). All wounds should cause a slow bleed out that a bandage only slows down. Obviously this will make it a lot harder when you're out on the battlefield without the magical bandages blessed by Jesus but combined with the other suggested improvements it should balance out. There could even be levels of realisitc damage from the casual magical bandage to the evil relentless torrent of death that is war.

Stamina

Current stamina is simply a way to say you can or can't sprint. Stamina should really have more of an effect on weapon sway and accuracy, if you're stamina is low after sprinting then you shouldn't really be able to aim for ****. Excuse my language. This stamina system would also be paired with the more realistic damage system to make it much more realistic when you're hit. You can't be shot in the arm and still fire like you're Rambo nor should you be able to run like Usain Bolt with a bullet in your leg.

Weapon sway, accuracy and recoil.

Currently the weapons are basically railguns with a WW2 skin. There's no real challenge in shooting and firefights last a couple of seconds. There should be a significant increase in the recoil for the majority of the weapons, some more than others. The semi-auto rifles and the STG are the main culprits. Secondly weapon sway should be increased, a soldier can't just immediately point his rifle at a target and have the steady aim of a statue. There's sway there, which is linked to stamina as said above. This should all be combined to make it much more difficult to get that shot that's a 100+ meters away and make firefights even under 100m a bit more of a challenge.

Suppression

Suppression is a huge part of the tactics of warfare and currently doesn't really cut it. Suppression should cause a large increase in weapon sway to represent the nerves of the soldier and how ****-scared he'll be. The current aesthetic suppression is good but could be better, when those bullets are flying past it should be ...more. Darkest Hour had a great system as did the HL2 mod Resistance and Liberation (the latter is something TWI should look at).

The Weapons.

As soon as the game came out and you fixed the Digital Deluxe 'rewards' all I saw on the battlefield were super-rare automatic AVT40s and the Mkbs EVERYWHERE. The German side should primarily be a ratio of 10 riflemen for every 1 MG34 and perhaps 2 Mp40s. And the odd G41. The Russians I’m not entirely sure about they should have a larger ratio of SMGs to riflemen and about the same with the MGs. I'd also like to see the idea of MG42s as a later addition but are larger and carry significantly less ammo. Perhaps introduce MG teams as part of the squads.

I realise this isn't brilliantly written and I apologise. But I hope my point gets across and people agree (or disagree for a nice discussion). I also realise a lot of these points have been said but I wanted to put them all into one thread and put my ideas forward :)

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
+1 on the suppression, but that's it.

Your ideas on the weapons is backwards!

If you want to make it more accurate have Russians with no guns & one MG at the rear to mow them down if they retreat :p

Well we can't have everything, it's impossible to properly simulate the eastern front, at least for the Russian side.

Upvote 0
Recoil as it is now is pretty realistic and I find it good so, but all weapons should definetley have less accuracy.

I mean; MP40 1shot1kill on 100m distance with a damn 9mm Parabellum (effective range 30-50m!). Bolt Actions are okay, I'd suggest a little less accuracy with all semi-automatic rifles and a great decrease of the SMG's accuracy.

Upvote 0
You do realize that there are at least 3 other threads that are saying the same thing right...and that is just on the first page.

I did mention a lot of this had already been said, but I wanted to put all together along with me 2 cents.

As for the recoil, the Mkb and the semi-autos really need a recoil boost.

Upvote 0
+1...I'm a 'Harcore Realism' player, and agree with most everything the OP has posted, but will add additional comments under each heading.

Realistic Damage System.

When you're shot you can apply a magic bandage and hey-presto, you're fine again. Rather than this it should be a more realistic damage system where if you're shot in the leg you're limping, your movement is slowed and your stamina is practically zero. You can't jump either and sprinting is out of the question. Shot in the arm means your weapon sway is significantly increased. And lastly a shot in the chest (that doesn't kill) should cause a slow bleed out that a bandage only slows down and an interesting screen effect (similar to the current bleed out). All wounds should cause a slow bleed out that a bandage only slows down. Obviously this will make it a lot harder when you're out on the battlefield without the magical bandages blessed by Jesus but combined with the other suggested improvements it should balance out. There could even be levels of realisitc damage from the casual magical bandage to the evil relentless torrent of death that is war.

I also think bandaging should take atleast a couple minutes to apply if a minor wound. Major wounds to a player should render him incapacitated, and therefore no badaging ( slow bleed-out )...Personally, I think the Bandage system should not be used.

Stamina

Current stamina is simply a way to say you can or can't sprint. Stamina should really have more of an effect on weapon sway and accuracy, if you're stamina is low after sprinting then you shouldn't really be able to aim for ****. Excuse my language. This stamina system would also be paired with the more realistic damage system to make it much more realistic when you're hit. You can't be shot in the arm and still fire like you're Rambo nor should you be able to run like Usain Bolt with a bullet in your leg.

I also think Staminia should decrease quickly when Sprint/Run, alittle less when at a Jog, stay same when Walking...RO1 did it right.

Weapon sway, accuracy and recoil.

Currently the weapons are basically railguns with a WW2 skin. There's no real challenge in shooting and firefights last a couple of seconds. There should be a significant increase in the recoil for the majority of the weapons, some more than others. The semi-auto rifles and the STG are the main culprits. Secondly weapon sway should be increased, a soldier can't just immediately point his rifle at a target and have the steady aim of a statue. There's sway there, which is linked to stamina as said above. This should all be combined to make it much more difficult to get that shot that's a 100+ meters away and make firefights even under 100m a bit more of a challenge.

There should always be levels of Sway in game regardless.
More Sway when depleted/half-depleted Stamina, all the way down to alittle Sway if prone at rest.
Recoil should also be increased in many of the guns.

Suppression

Suppression is a huge part of the tactics of warfare and currently doesn't really cut it. Suppression should cause a large increase in weapon sway to represent the nerves of the soldier and how ****-scared he'll be. The current aesthetic suppression is good but could be better, when those bullets are flying past it should be ...more. Darkest Hour had a great system as did the HL2 mod Resistance and Liberation (the latter is something TWI should look at).

I agree, more Sway for Suppression and all depending on Moral and Quality of Troops ( Green vs Vet...this equates to the level the player is currently at )

The Weapons.

As soon as the game came out and you fixed the Digital Deluxe 'rewards' all I saw on the battlefield were super-rare automatic AVT40s and the Mkbs EVERYWHERE. The German side should primarily be a ratio of 10 riflemen for every 1 MG34 and perhaps 2 Mp40s. And the odd G41. The Russians I’m not entirely sure about they should have a larger ratio of SMGs to riflemen and about the same with the MGs. I'd also like to see the idea of MG42s as a later addition but are larger and carry significantly less ammo. Perhaps introduce MG teams as part of the squads.

I'd just get rid of all Rare Weapons and be done with it.

Germans on average should have 7-8 Rifles to every 1-SMG & 1-LMG, and only 1-G41 in a Platoon of 30 or so.
Russians on average should have 7-8 Rifles to every 1-2 SMG 1-LMG 1-Semi-Auto.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Some people simply dont care to relieze that there were several thousand rounds of ammo expended per casualty in WWII. Troops in a heavy 15 minute firefight might manage to produce 1-2 casualties using half their ammo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0