• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Historical Stalingrad Scenarios & Custom Maps

sh1f

Sep 13, 2011
Eagerly anticipating the SDK to dive into mapping. I want to create a historical scenario that was not covered by RO2's official maps. To fill in a gap, if you will. But to be honest, I don't have much in-depth knowledge of specific Battle of Stalingrad happenings beyond the broad strokes. Certainly going to do some research of my own, but thought surely some of you chaps around here have knowledge to pull ideas from.

I was actually thinking about proposing to make a chronological list naming historical Stalingrad-relevent events (offensives, encounters, firefights, skirmishes, etc.) along with the corresponding map (official or custom map in the works). But I'm not sure if the scene will be active enough for that yet.

You'll need to create maps depicting the Tsaritsa battle, Mamaev Kurgan, the Ferry crossing, Stalingrad sewers, Beketovka.. :D

To be honest, I must say that the official Grain Silo map is a masterpiece, Pavlov' House too.

I'm going to be working on Mamayev Kurgan, I just got to wait till the SDK releases but I have been planning it out.

I wish there was reference pictures of it though during war, though it's going to be really fun to make.

Upvote 0
I'm going to be working on Mamayev Kurgan, I just got to wait till the SDK releases but I have been planning it out.

I wish there was reference pictures of it though during war, though it's going to be really fun to make.

Well...So far TWI hasn't "Kept" their word as far as the SDK goes. They said the community would have it with the release of the game, then in one of the video they said 1-3 days, and after that, another Dev posted in "couple" days. Thanks to those statements i wasted most of my week being off and weekend too sitting here waiting for the release :mad:. i mean if you're not going to release, why make such statnents?...all they had to do is say " it will be out when its out" , or something along those line. oh well, too late to cry over...ah never mind!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

we'll see what the excuse is this up coming week :rolleyes:

Reactions: Harb and bobsynergy
Upvote 0
Well...So far TWI hasn't "Kept" their word as far as the SDK goes. They said the community would have it with the release of the game, then in one of the video they said 1-3 days, and after that, another Dev posted in "couple" days. Thanks to those statements i wasted most of my week being off and weekend too sitting here waiting for the release :mad:. i mean if you're not going to release, why make such statnents?...all they had to do is say " it will be out when its out" , or something along those line. oh well, too late to cry over...ah never mind!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

we'll see what the excuse is this up coming week :rolleyes:

Just play the game in the meantime? :p

Upvote 0
Just play the game in the meantime? :p

Agreed, sort of.

Between the inherently bad performance and "human wave" nature of every scenario, I really dislike the stock maps in RO2. Im basically not playing RO2 until the (big and non-linear) CA custom maps are out.

But if not RO2, do something else while you wait... TW is probably busy with more urgent issues, such as optimization and bug fixes... the SDK is probably lower on their priority list.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just watched PBS' "Battlefield" series' Stalingrad chapter. Really inspiring. Didn't know there was SO much footage of actual combat. Most of what I'd seen was lame staged stuff for the cameras. Side note: couldn't help but make parallels to Stalingrad while watching that crazy *** Falcons-Eagles game just now. :p

Prelude
Battle of Rostov

Stalingrad: Initial German Offensive
Mamayev Kurgan (would be difficult, I think, simply because to be realistic you'd have to somehow depict much of the city in the distance below; could look awesome tho)

Barrikady Gun Factory

Dzerzhinsky Tractor Factory

sewers (ro_Rattenkrieg :D)

Soviets backed to Volga, fighting for control of their final Bridgehead (maybe then do an alternate cold version of the same map where they're on offense during the winter counter-offensive)

Meanwhile:
rugged mountain fighting during German offensive in the Caucasus

Soviet Winter Counter-Offensive
The actual counter-offensive and encirclement is lame because it's just the Soviets crushing Romanians on the Axis flanks.

Mannstein's offensive across the southern steppes to free 6th Army

6th Army breakout (never happened in reality, of course; could have some crazy layout with Soviet spawns all four sides of the Germans; maybe have three objective zones [W, SW, and W], with the Germans winning by capping any one of these)

Desperate innercity 6th Army assaulting a Soviet food store; maybe combine it with the Soviets assaulting the German's last usable airfield

Actually, now that I think about it, a lot of these ideas could have two versions (summer/fall German offensive and winter Soviet counteroffensive).

Reactions: Comrade Kaizer
Upvote 0
A few guys in my unit are doing something called "Project Barrikady". It includes expanding Commissar's House and making many more historically correct maps based upon the entire factory. This was done earlier in the battle, so Commissar's House will be converted to having no snow around.

Actually, I'm very stoked for all the new creations when SDK comes out.

Upvote 0
A few guys in my unit are doing something called "Project Barrikady". It includes expanding Commissar's House and making many more historically correct maps based upon the entire factory. This was done earlier in the battle, so Commissar's House will be converted to having no snow around.

-_-

Thanks for telling them

Upvote 0
bobsynergy - Mamayev Kurgan Page 2

bobsynergy - Mamayev Kurgan Page 2

bobsynergy look here for Mamayev Kurgan data on page 2.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=27662

Russ

www.fireonthevolga.com

CA-STLNGRD-s11.jpg

Reactions: bobsynergy
Upvote 0