• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Battlefield 3

Why on earth would anyone pay $60 bucks for an interactive movie, three months of support, no dedicated servers and no SDK?

Hell, for $60 you can get yourself hooked up (you know what I mean) with a hottie looking for rent money on Craigslist.
Well you're wrong about the dedicated servers, unless you're talking about FREE ones where you don't have to rent. I'm guessing BF3 won't have free dedicated servers, since I don't think BC2 did. Correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW did anyone catch this?

http://bf3blog.com/2011/08/dice-were-considering-mod-tools/

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Well I'd say that's a big improvement from 100% positive no mod tools at all, wouldn't you say?

Not really. DICE really needs to step it up.

Infinity Ward recently announced for MW3:
Dedicated Servers
Public Server Files (so you can host at home)
Improved Theatre Mode
LAN Support

What PC features does BF3 have? Eye candy + rent-able dedicated servers + commo-rose + VOIP channels. Yea... give me more!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not really. DICE really needs to step it up.

Infinity Ward recently announced for MW3:
Dedicated Servers
Public Server Files (so you can host at home)
Improved Theatre Mode
LAN Support

What PC features does BF3 have? Eye candy + rent-able dedicated servers + commo-rose + VOIP channels. Yea... give me more!
I agree that LAN and free dedis was a surprise for me. All I'm saying is that the Battlefield franchise has always had games like BF1942 and BF2 that have been great platforms for modding, where as mods for CoD games have mostly just been ones that tweak existing gameplay. Therefore mod tools for BF3 mean alot more to me than say mod tools for CoD.

Reactions: Dcode
Upvote 0
I don't believe in MOD tools / support for BF3. With BC2 they did something similar. They said they might come and then months after release they said is was too complicated to give the development tool-chain into "amateur's" hands.

EA is clearly trying to outCOD Activision. The simple they have going their favor for me is that the basic gameplay is still more interesting than COD ever was.

Upvote 0
Hope this doesn't come off as trolling or bashing the game, but here goes.

So I watched this recent trailer. Maybe I'm jaded and just tired of these types of games, but that looked utterly boring to me. Basically just one scripted event after another, running after your squad on pre-determined paths, lots of special effects and explosions, but nothing really seems to damage the player. Just boring and generic as ****.

I want someone to remake the original Ghost Recon. I mean, just look how awesome this is:

You got to pick your squad before every mission, your squad members got better with experience, when they died you lost them for good and had to start "training" a new one. You actually felt attached to the different soldiers, since you directly had a hand in developing them and also keeping them alive. You could make tactical choices for missions instead of running along a pre-determined path.

Oh well... I guess there's ArmAII, but that's a bit too much of a combat sim for my taste.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hope this doesn't come off as trolling or bashing the game, but here goes.

So I watched this recent trailer. Maybe I'm jaded and just tired of these types of games, but that looked utterly boring to me. Basically just one scripted event after another, running after your squad on pre-determined paths, lots of special effects and explosions, but nothing really seems to damage the player. Just boring and generic as ****.

I want someone to remake the original Ghost Recon. I mean, just look how awesome this is:

You got to pick your squad before every mission, your squad members got better with experience, when they died you lost them for good and had to start "training" a new one. You actually felt attached to the different soldiers, since you directly had a hand in developing them and also keeping them alive. You could make tactical choices for missions instead of running along a pre-determined path.

Oh well... I guess there's ArmAII, but that's a bit too much of a combat sim for my taste.

Although not quite the same... but I am really looking forward to a true sequel to Raven shield for these reasons.

All those interactive movies the guy above is talking about are getting boring. Not that Dragon2k is wrong, in contrary, it's the sad truth of our time:eek:

Upvote 0
**** like this angers me. DICE builds what seems to be a great game and then let's EA go and rape it. They need to grow some balls and publish and market their own game. It's not like they don't have any clout.

Hopefully this gets sorted, but if not, I won't be buying it either.
This post was made a while back in regards to the whole EA EULA controversy, and I'm just now getting around to reading about this.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...Feed:+RockPaperShotgun+(Rock,+Paper,+Shotgun)

Holy crap! I recognize of course that this statement has been included in EA's EULA for years, but this is the first time that in order to play an EA game in ANY form you must accept this. As others have pointed out, at least in the past you could play the game and opt not to go online or activate/register the game. But now, with Origin, its a requirement.

EDIT: I forgot to mention...

It's too bad I read this because I've actually kind of been looking a bit forward to BF3 knowing that the beta might come out this week or next, and I'm eager to judge the gameplay for myself. And the list of guns is amazing ...

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28866174/bf3-beta-this-weekmp-only.-news-tomorrow

Too bad I had to find such a downer of a story...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've decided to wait on BF3. I want it...but RO2 has now filled my niche for a new shooter...and frankly the more BF3 videos I watch, the more it starts to look like BC2.5 to me.

I'm still looking forward to the visuals, the jets and the other improvements. But after everything, Origin, all the back and forth with the eula....I'm just not as fascinated by the game anymore. And the hype machine really over did it.

Upvote 0
BF3 is such an overhyped game, it looks exactly like BFBC2 with new camera shakes and blurrs. But for an arcade game I'd still consider it after a few weeks after release to see what it is truly like. I liked BF2 although it had it's problems and annoyances, but BC2 was such a dog-turd.

Exactly the same? Gameplay wise yea maybe, but the tech in BF 3 is amazing.
I'm mostly interested in the environments anyway :cool:

Upvote 0