• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How would you feel about removing unlocks and character upgrades?

Yep I agree, I've said it before, while some people have actually good arguments why unlocks work and are good, they simply don't belong in this game. Huge disappointment.:(

That's a matter of opinion.... an opinion based on how "You" think they should make the game.

How would I feel if they took all of that out?

I would feel it was a complete waste of time to remove all that work and effort into putting it into the game and back tracking to having just a newer version of RO1, but with fancier graphics.... which is the "real" step in the wrong direction, since that's all everybody else does with their games.

Leave it as it is..... it's not going anywhere, so just accept the reality of it.

Again, if you don't like the unlocks, etc.... don't use them.

The Dev's already stated before the beta was released, that the stats and upgrades provide very little, if any advantage to anyone.

So why have them in?

Because for most, it's something extra that keeps the game interesting.

For all those who continually argue "Well I'm an RO1 vet, I don't like these things.... I don't need them because they're only there to make new comers feel like they're 733t...."

..... You're all a bunch of hypocrites, because you give the exact same 733t attitude back when you constantly preach on about "I'm an RO1 vet, therefore my opinion is better.... I don't like change"

Seriously, if stating you're some wonderful "RO1 Vet" makes you somehow better or more right than everyone else..... does me being an RO:Mod Vet over rule you guys?

Do the UT2k3 Mod Vets over rule me?

Does anybody see how silly this is?

Guess not.

The nice thing about Tripwire is they're willing to let people tweak the game settings to the degree they desire.

It's when people suggest that they should throw away 6 months of work, and that NO ONE should be able to enjoy it, is where I get annoyed. If they want their bland servers with no mechanics, that's cool. That doesn't mean it should simply be taken out of the game for everyone.

Exactly..... you get a cookie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Echo Black
Upvote 0
That's a matter of opinion.... an opinion based on how "You" think they should make the game.

I would feel it was a complete waste of time to remove all that work and effort into putting it into the game and back tracking to having just a newer version of RO1, but with fancier graphics.... which is the "real" step in the wrong direction, since that's all everybody else does with their games.

Leave it as it is..... it's not going anywhere, so just accept the reality of it.

The Dev's already stated before the beta was released, that the stats and upgrades provide very little, if any advantage to anyone.

So why have them in?

For all those who continually argue "Well I'm an RO1 vet, I don't like these things.... I don't need them because they're only there to make new comers feel like they're 733t...."

..... You're all a bunch of hypocrites, because you give the exact same 733t attitude back when you constantly preach on about "I'm an RO1 vet, therefore my opinion is better.... I don't like change"

Seriously, if stating you're some wonderful "RO1 Vet" makes you somehow better or more right than everyone else..... does me being an RO:Mod Vet over rule you guys?

Guess not.

*claps*

Upvote 0
Have you seen the series Band of Brothers? This upgrade system is completely logical to me. You know the episode when all the raw recruits arrive to reinforce Easy in Bastogne? The veterans look all dirty, worn out and battle hardened. They are now completely one with their weapons, have figured out every little trick which improves their combat effectivness, have become ruthless and deadly accurate killers. This is all perfectly easy to connect with RO2 honor system. As you play, your character sees more and more combat, his honor is growing and he is gradually becoming exactly the soldier I described a few lines above.

To me, this is just awesome.

Again, I agree with this statement.

I made a similar argument a while back in regards to the above (though I didn't tie it to the TV show) and it was basically ignored.

The Honor System, The Weapons Progression, the Stats..... all of it ties directly to a soldier that's been in the thick of it for a long time, became experienced, aged, seasoned, has more fine-tuned weapons, etc....

And for all those people being butthurt about everybody not being placed on the same skill level and using the exact same weapons "For Fairness to New Players or Players who Don't Play Often"...... I don't play that often either and I don't care..... and whoever said it was fair or should be fair??

It's certainly not very fair to have someone who's been playing the game for a year or two who has a high rank to still be set with the same restrictions and limitations as some new recruit off the boat/train who's only shot at paper.

Stats and Unlocks are the future of FPS's..... whether you all love it or hate it.

FPS's progress, they evolve.... they do so simply because if they all stayed to the exact same format and never evolved to keep them progressing and interesting, we'd all still be playing FPS's that aren't really 3D, we'd still be only able to aim in one axis (left and right) and we'd all still be playing regular deathmatch, if that.

From Pixel based FPS's, to X & Y aiming, to 3D models & animation, to Deathmatch, to Team Deathmatch, dynamic lighting, online gameplay.... and so on.... the FPS evolves and it has to progress.

Otherwise we'd be still playing Wolf3D style games..... RPG's would still be restricted to Final Fantasy I on the Nintendo & Commodore 64's would still be bought today on a regular basis as our PC of choice.

Upvote 0

So why have them in?

Guess not.

I get to clap louder, I'm a RO:Mod Vet.

Upvote 0

So why have them in?

Guess not.

Well of course it's only my opinion,I guess I could have stated that but people like you don't cross my mind that often.
How would you think that I'm some kind of authority or fanboi? It's just game forums dude, at the end of the day, I really don't care.

You, on the other hand, come across as having a lot of anger/aggression, whatever, because you don't like someone else's opinion about unlocks which was the op's question to begin with.
Typical freedom of speech hypocrite. Only I can speak my mind.
Relax and breath for christ sakes

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Cpt-Praxius

The problem is that unlocks are in no way an evolution of FPS mechanics but rather an attempt to inject persistent RPG elements into the genre. I have no particular problem with that in and of itself, but consider the old MP games that people still play. Would CounterStrike or TeamFortress, or any other classic MP FPS, have maintained their popularity if people were given in-game bonuses simply for playing more rounds than other players? Balance matters. Saying it doesn't have to, or even shouldn't be fair is waving a giant middle finger at new and casual players. That's not how you build a healthy long term community.

The brilliance of arena style MP is that it's a contest of skill, not of who unlocked the +4MachineGunofWhupass first. The unlocks in RO2 don't seem that bad, at least as far as I can tell, but it's a slippery slope that really doesn't add anything to the actual gameplay.

Upvote 0