• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How would you feel about removing unlocks and character upgrades?

Have you seen the series Band of Brothers? This upgrade system is completely logical to me. You know the episode when all the raw recruits arrive to reinforce Easy in Bastogne? The veterans look all dirty, worn out and battle hardened. They are now completely one with their weapons, have figured out every little trick which improves their combat effectivness, have become ruthless and deadly accurate killers. This is all perfectly easy to connect with RO2 honor system. As you play, your character sees more and more combat, his honor is growing and he is gradually becoming exactly the soldier I described a few lines above.

To me, this is just awesome.
I have played more RO2 than a newbie so logically I will be better than him, with or without any player progression additions =).

Upvote 0
Have you seen the series Band of Brothers? This upgrade system is completely logical to me. You know the episode when all the raw recruits arrive to reinforce Easy in Bastogne? The veterans look all dirty, worn out and battle hardened. They are now completely one with their weapons, have figured out every little trick which improves their combat effectivness, have become ruthless and deadly accurate killers. This is all perfectly easy to connect with RO2 honor system. As you play, your character sees more and more combat, his honor is growing and he is gradually becoming exactly the soldier I described a few lines above.

To me, this is just awesome.

what does this have to do with unlocks?

I think we pretty much all agree that your appearance changing as you become more "hardened" is a great idea; there is no disagreement there.

Upvote 0
what does this have to do with unlocks?

I think we pretty much all agree that your appearance changing as you become more "hardened" is a great idea; there is no disagreement there.

agreed

appearances good...new guns bad...

There is no instance (that I as a history major and WW2 buff am aware of), where elite, veteran soldiers received large amounts of experimental weapons. Sure I can imagine a great rifleman or machine-gunner being given a prototype for a few weeks to test out and give his opinions on to help refine development....but as it stands now the entire Assault role is running around with prototype weapons as if the factories just hit full production.

I remember reading something where Hitler visited some troops once and saw a few with the Mkb42, and even HE was unaware that prototypes were in service, because they were so few in number.

Upvote 0
The unlocks are the source of every single flaw in this game. Completely removing them and making all new loadouts would turn this game into GOTY or even GOTYAY.

I really hope TWI accept their mistake. The unlocks were a bad idea from the get go, and the community saw it coming.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have played more RO2 than a newbie so logically I will be better than him, with or without any player progression additions =).

You miss my point...You will of course be better, but the way your character performs will also increase and it will add to your combat effectivness further. It's like leveling your virtual self. Don't know why I even bother posting in such topics. The stats system is good to me, but opinions are purely subjective and therefore completely pointless.

Reactions: Cpt-Praxius
Upvote 0
Unlocks I don't mind, so long as they're within the spirit of the period and are more sidegrades than upgrades.

Perma-stat increases I would not be sad to see the back of; artificial bonuses that make you immediately ~20% better than a new player - before you even consider skill, level knowledge and gear - is a sure fire way to make said new player feel less than welcome.

A server option to disable such things would be the way to go rather than petitioning for their removal from the game entirely. What's done is done (even if it is regretable).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They're fine to me. The last thing TWI should do is listen to armchair developers tell them to gut half their game.

This...

I personally dont care either way but they spent time and money to develop it. Why take it out? its a minor perk.

I would love to see artillary completely removed from RO2. I F****** hate it. but its not gonna happen so I just suck it up and take my 3 deaths from a single barrage.

Upvote 0
I would love for gameplay affecting (as opposed to cosmetic) unlocks in online FPSs to go away for ever. I hate giving players arbitrary advantages simply for having the game longer or just more time to play it. As someone else mentioned, the veterans will likely develop a higher skill level all on their own. It really screws with balance long term if some players have weapons that are simply better than yours. It stops being a contest of skill until everyone has maxed out their levels.

It's one thing when the unlocks are different, rather than outright better, but it's still just a con to squeeze more hours out of the game. The gameplay should be good enough that the unlocks are irrelevant.

Upvote 0