• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Unable to precisely aim sniper rifle; mouse movement issue.

Luf7w4ffl3

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2011
Whenever I go to fine tune my aim while looking in the scope of a sniper rifle, the crosshair/gun will not move if I move my mouse slow enough.

In other words every time I adjust my aim pixel by pixel so I get the right bullet drop or a center head shot on a stationary target the game doesn't recognize the mouse movements because I'm moving it ever so slowly.

When I die and I am freely spectating I can move my mouse pixel by pixel with no issues, this is only with the aiming of weapons.

Anyone experience this or know a config tweak to fix it?

Edit: I realize this should have went into the support section, move if necessary.

Last edited:
Have you tried playing with the mouse sensitivity/smoothing in the options?

Other than that, buy a better mouse... I recommend the Logitech G400 (formerly known as the MX518)

I have a Mionix Naos 5000, it has plenty, however I only use 810.

Try to lower your aim sensitivity from settings-input menu.

Use a higher resolution mouse - eg. razer deathadder .

I'll lower in game and increase DPI.

I've only noticed this with the M91/30 Sniper... Kar98k Sniper doesn't seem to have the issue, although I could be wrong.

This happens to me on the Kar98k as well.

Edit:

It's not my mouse (I already knew this, but ok).

The game has some sort of issue when moving the mouse slow. If you go under a certain speed it just won't move at all.

I put the in-game really low and left my DPI at 810 so a full mouse pad swipe moves maybe 20 degrees.

And unless I swiped relatively fast the ironsights would not pan over despite my mouse physically moving and tracking quite quickly on the pad itself.

The game ignores all input unless you're going a certain speed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It reminds me of GTA4 and it's console port crap input.

Same issue with that game; unless you move the mouse a certain speed it will not respond.

However this game is on the UE3 engine and was developed for PC solely. So how can pure raw input not be used unless this is some sort of stuff they've done on purpose for a reason I can't even fathom.

Edit: It only does this while iron sighted. Tried on the regular K98 rifle. Hipfiring it uses 100% raw input.

Must be the humanized aiming or sway feature interfering somehow, it needs to be fixed I know that much.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm having this exact same issue as well and it's driving me bonkers. It's really killing the game for me as I can't use any rifles at all.

I too have tried every combination of game and windows settings to no avail. I'm using an MX518 and it doesn't matter what sensitivity setting I use, I can't fine tune my aiming. I used this exact same hardware in RO1 with zero problems.

Anyone have any ideas for this?

Upvote 0
I don't experience this problem myself, but as a start I'd suggest turning mouse smoothing off if you haven't already, and possibly increase the "zoomed sensitivity", which is controlled by the second slider bar on the Input menu. That bar represents a percentage of your regular sensitivity to drop to when using your ironsights, so potentially that drop is currently too great for your mice (depending on your DPI, sensitivity, etc. of course).

Upvote 0
Not to me, it's ultra smooth.

Razer Deathadder

Default setting in RO2

Ok Mr. I'm perfect and ignorant to the issue because I didn't do proper testing.

I guarantee you have this issue, you just don't realize how slow you have to go for it to pop up.

I don't experience this problem myself, but as a start I'd suggest turning mouse smoothing off if you haven't already, and possibly increase the "zoomed sensitivity", which is controlled by the second slider bar on the Input menu. That bar represents a percentage of your regular sensitivity to drop to when using your ironsights, so potentially that drop is currently too great for your mice (depending on your DPI, sensitivity, etc. of course).

Set your DPI on your mouse low, 400-800, and go in game and also set the sliders VERY low, but not all the way.

You'll notice unless you go a certain speed while iron-sighted it will not move, even when moving the mouse 6 inches a second or so. (If you have your sensitivity really low.)

(Don't tell me I have to pull out my pocket camcorder to show a freaking video to you guys...)

Edit:

I just tested it again: I pulled out my G500 and set it to 800dpi, set the 2nd slider to 100%, and the first main sensitivity slider to just ONE notch over minimum.
(At this sensitivity it would take you like 50+ swipes to make a 360, but it's good for showing the issue.)

If you scope up with the sniper and hold your breath just to remove sway for more accurate results, and you swipe your mouse the entire length of your mouse pad quickly your crosshair will move. If you do the same length slowly, or even somewhat fast at this uber low sensitivity, it will not move.

It's like the game is hard coded to not recognize any movements under "X" speed.

*You may say "Well, who plays with that low of a sensitivity" and I'd respond "no one".

However when you're fine tuning your aiming "pixel by pixel" as I like to call it, this matters.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
try disabling mouse acceleration as well. its in ROinput.ini
see the section of improving mouse responsiveness:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=64126

An other thing to look into is ut3 tweaking guides, afaik in reality the UE3 engine had 2 mouse sensitivity settings rather than one. Googling how to set your ut3 mouse like ut2k4 will probably field you some results about this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0