• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hold to aim - hold to cover

Zcool31

Aug 30, 2011
Very simple suggestion/request.

Currently aiming and covering controls are toggle - you click to aim, click again to unaim. Press to cover, press to uncover. I would really like to have the option to hold down the right mouse to aim. Sights are raised as long as I keep the mouse button held. Same with covering.

Call of Duty accomplishes this by having two different controls for aiming: Aim and Aim Toggle. You simply map whatever buttons you like to one or both.
Battlefield Bad Company 2 does this by having a check box in the options for "Hold to aim down sights", as it is toggle by default. In both of these games, the hold to aim feature works well and makes the game more enjoyable, and I would like to have the same in this game.

Reactions: Volucris
agreed.

having to constantly click 15 buttons to take cover, lean out, shoot, lean back in, and unstick from cover is giving me major carpal tunnel.

I'll assume that's sarcasm, seeing as how holding down the button continuously isn't actually better for that.

Anyway, I prefer the toggle greatly, but I don't see why it shouldn't be a player's choice.

Upvote 0
Sure, we need a menu option for toggle / hold relating to crouch, aiming,

Please TWI, fix at least the Ironsight Aiming.

Holding a gun in ironsight aimed requires effort in real life. Holding the mouse button too. When exit this view, I need just to release gun / mouse button.
Hold is much more natural and efficient.

Vietcong in 2003 already got this right.

Upvote 0
I'll assume that's sarcasm, seeing as how holding down the button continuously isn't actually better for that.

Anyway, I prefer the toggle greatly, but I don't see why it shouldn't be a player's choice.

no not sarcasm it is much easier to let go of a button than to click it.

your leaning out of cover and you want to get back in? Let go of the button.

The reason is, occasionally under the "stress" of combat i forget which button is what and end up unsticking myself when all i wanted to do stop aiming.

But when you're holding on the button, you're brain is constantly processing and being active

Upvote 0
Here is a link to another thread which has some explanations how you can change crouch & ADS to hold insted of toggle by modifying the config file.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=58226&highlight=HOLD&page=3

However, I cannot confirm whether these currently work and what kind of problems might occur.

I did change my crouch and ADS to hold in beta by modifying the file and atleast there it worked, haven't tried on retail yet since ADS hold also seems to have it's advantages when you get used to it :)

Though the holding aiming down the sights sometimes bugged so that it actually went permanently to ADS mode and I had to hold the key to return to hip fire mode. I was able to fix it by for example switching to a grenade and then back.

Due to this issue, I would also love it if it was included in the options as checkbox.

Upvote 0