• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics under-arm grenade throw

tarquin

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2011
please could someone be so kind as to let me know how you perform the under-arm grenade throw?

i'd like to know how to stop accidentally killing teammates with the girly sissy powder puff throw that falls about 3 feet away.

this game is in serious need of a manual... would the RO ostfront manual work for the most part?

thank you in advance.

The longer you hold down the fire button, the further you throw the grenade.

In other words, don't click, but hold and release.

The overhand throw is done with the primary fire (LMB). While holding a Soviet F1 grenade, you can cook it by clicking the alt fire button (middle mouse button by default). You can do an underarm toss to roll it along the ground with the alt fire button instead of the primary fire.

Upvote 0
Actually not the right section for me to post this but the underarm throw is patheticly weak and needs a buff.. i cant even get it over a normal sized wall which is the point of it.. PLEASE BUFF

Thats no good, maybe they expect ppl to be in cover and blind throw it. I used the under hand all the time when i was prone against a wall and i would here some commie blasting away with a ppsh right above me. Loft a lil stick grenade over that wall and KABLEY! no more ppsh fire

Hope this gets fixed up a bit so i dont suicide myself and have to rely on teammates to get me unstuck :eek:

Upvote 0
Thats no good, maybe they expect ppl to be in cover and blind throw it. I used the under hand all the time when i was prone against a wall and i would here some commie blasting away with a ppsh right above me. Loft a lil stick grenade over that wall and KABLEY! no more ppsh fire

Hope this gets fixed up a bit so i dont suicide myself and have to rely on teammates to get me unstuck :eek:
Yeah, Seems like I use overhands for everything now in RO2 because the underhand is so weak.

Upvote 0
please could someone be so kind as to let me know how you perform the under-arm grenade throw?

i'd like to know how to stop accidentally killing teammates with the girly sissy powder puff throw that falls about 3 feet away.

this game is in serious need of a manual... would the RO ostfront manual work for the most part?

thank you in advance.

Play the single player, the first level is a training map where you learn stuff. Its like reading a manual only you are doing the actions yourself.

Upvote 0
I Cant even get through training mode for throwing grenades! PLEASE HELP!!!!

I Cant even get through training mode for throwing grenades! PLEASE HELP!!!!

I have tried everything!! I havea middle button on my mouse but do I hold it and hold down "G"? Or do I hold down middle button and use left mouse button?? Somebody give me some idea of what to do to get through this fricken training mode!! Why not just throw grenade "G" at 3 targets, or does the tiny 4th target in front of sand bags count as a target?? Again, PLEASE HELP!! <> I have waited for this game and already it is driving me nuts!

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I have tried everything!! I havea middle button on my mouse but do I hold it and hold down "G"? Or do I hold down middle button and use left mouse button?? Somebody give me some idea of what to do to get through this fricken training mode!! Why not just throw grenade "G" at 3 targets, or does the tiny 4th target in front of sand bags count as a target?? Again, PLEASE HELP!! <> I have waited for this game and already it is driving me nuts!

Thanks,
Jeff

yes the tiny target on the practice range just in front of u is the underarm throw target.
and i shuffled the keybindings around to make underarm bowling(yes nasty cricketing stuff) a RMB function. so scroll mouse to grenade and select it and then underarm it to the target immediately in front of you on practice range.

Upvote 0
The underarm throw is basically meant to get the grenade through a third-story window to kill the attackers bunched up on the door below, or over a six-foot wall to kill the guy three feet in front of you. Don't expect it to go very far at all and always have someplace to dive to after using it.

Anyone who thinks this throw needs a "buff" may as well complain about the range of your bayonet.

Upvote 0
The overhand throw is done with the primary fire (LMB). While holding a Soviet F1 grenade, you can cook it by clicking the alt fire button (middle mouse button by default). You can do an underarm toss to roll it along the ground with the alt fire button instead of the primary fire.

Which is it? Do you cook the russian grenade with alt fire or do you underhand it?

And won't the stick grenade cook when you're 'charging up' the power by holding the throw button? I seem to distinctly recall that he pulls the fuse as soon as you press it.

Upvote 0
I think that the underhand in Ostfront is the most realistic one, but the distance could still be increased a little
If they make same underarm throw in RO2 with slightly increased power it would be perfect.

BTW am I the only one who think the "normal" grenade throw in RO2 is too weak, and you have to wait long to throw the grenade farther?
I mean its kinda stupi you have to hold the grnade for 5-6 seconds in order to throw it where you want ? May be this feature can be removed and the throw power will be increased by some other way (may be if you swing the mouse fast up or down, or even use mouse buton to increase distance or add spin to grenade so that it rolls far away on the ground or so that it stops on the exact place where you want it.
Modern grenades like flashbangs are made hexagon and octagon so that they wont roll on the ground. *may be you have wondered why they are shaped like that?*
M84new1.jpg

Military grenades are made round so that they roll
I mean every grenade has its own purpose and features that should be used for example in Soviet(lately russian) army all the years during cold war and after that the grenades were 2 types- attack and defence types. Defence had longer time "fuse" and held a HUGE power. Attacking grenade had less power so you could throw it and advance....
Germans added handle for easier throw (although I doubt it will fly further just because of the handle) but that makes the grenade harder to get in windows and bunkers from distance

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think that the underhand in Ostfront is the most realistic one, but the distance could still be increased a little
If they make same underarm throw in RO2 with slightly increased power it would be perfect.

BTW am I the only one who think the "normal" grenade throw in RO2 is too weak, and you have to wait long to throw the grenade farther?
I mean its kinda stupi you have to hold the grnade for 5-6 seconds in order to throw it where you want ? May be this feature can be removed and the throw power will be increased by some other way (may be if you swing the mouse fast up or down, or even use mouse buton to increase distance or add spin to grenade so that it rolls far away on the ground or so that it stops on the exact place where you want it.
Modern grenades like flashbangs are made hexagon and octagon so that they wont roll on the ground. *may be you have wondered why they are shaped like that?*
M84new1.jpg

Military grenades are made round so that they roll
I mean every grenade has its own purpose and features that should be used for example in Soviet(lately russian) army all the years during cold war and after that the grenades were 2 types- attack and defence types. Defence had longer time "fuse" and held a HUGE power. Attacking grenade had less power so you could throw it and advance....
Germans added handle for easier throw (although I doubt it will fly further just because of the handle) but that makes the grenade harder to get in windows and bunkers from distance

You forget that the main difference between defensive and offensive grenades is in the shrapnel department. One has it, the other so minimal it isn't even considered.

Defensive --->shrapnel, ~30-50 meter effective range <--- need to be in cover (grenades throw distance ~30 meters)
Offensive --->concussion effect, very small effective range <---easy to use while moving towards a target

Upvote 0
Thanx Rrralphster
Btw one thing I wonder will the F1 grenade be the only soviet grenade?
Or RO2 will include these too
dep_5312273-World-War-Two-Soviet-hand-grenade.jpg

and RGD 33

674.1.jpg

DAMN I JUST FOUND A GOLD MINE :

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/3-23-30/appd.htm

Figure D-2. RGO hand grenade.
D-3. F1 FRAGMENTATION HAND GRENADE

• Type: Fragmentation. (Figure D-3)
  • Weight: 700 grams.
  • Body Material: Cast iron.
  • Filler Material: 60 grams TNT.
  • Fuze Type: Striker release.
  • Fuze Delay: 3 to 4 seconds; for booby traps, 0 to 13 seconds.
  • Range Thrown: 30 meters.
  • Lethal Radius: 20 to 30 meters.
NOTE:The F1 has been copied and produced by numerous other countries throughout the world.

figd-3.gif

Figure D-3. F1 hand grenade.

D-7. RDG-1

• Type: Hand, smoke. (Figure D-7)
  • Weight: 500 grams.
  • Body Material: Cardboard, handle wood/cardboard.
  • Burning Time: 60 to 90 seconds.
  • Fuze: Friction fuze.
  • Fuze Delay: Unknown.
  • Filler: Smoke mixture.
  • Range Thrown: 35 meters.
NOTE:This grenade is used to screen river crossings because it floats.

figd-7.gif

Figure D-7. RDG-1 smoke grenade.
D-8. RDG-2 AND RDG-3

• Type: Smoke. (Figure D-8)
  • Weight: 500 grams.
  • Body Material: Cardboard coated with wax, handle wood/cardboard.
  • Burning Time: 50 to 90 seconds.
  • Fuze: Friction fuze.
  • Fuze Delay: Unknown.
  • Filler: Smoke mixture.
  • Range Thrown: 35 meters.
NOTE:This grenade does not float and is unsuitable for water use.

figd-8.gif

Figure D-8. RDG-2 and RDG-3 smoke grenade.

Last edited:
Upvote 0