• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"I am a farmer"

Marta

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2006
Actually I am not, I am a flight simmer.

I never liked shooters like Quake and Doom aso. But I like playing war games in the 1st person perspective.

I am a combat flight sim guy and the first game that got me grounded was Panzer Elite.

Then in 2006 I came across Red Orchestra Ostfront.
This was the first First Person Shooter I purchased in my life and I remember very well the first time I spawned into the game at Stalingrad Kessel.

It just felt right. I really was afraid.

It was true immersion.

I am no gun collector. I am no point whore. I am no FPS counter. And frankly I am disgusted with competition fetishist.

I am a F .. errr flight simmer and I appreciate war games which are made with dedication to "realism", historical research, ralistic gameplay mechanics beautiful enviroments (red october factory is a piece of art) and I just want to say thank you TWI for Heroes of Stalingrad which with all it`s teething problems is and will be a milestone.

At the moment both of my favorite games, "Rise of Flight" and "Red Orchestra" are games which were put up by gaming community guys that took the effort to "do something unreal". (but awsome)

I am really looking forward to how this game will develop with community maps and mods.

Last edited:
I'm a tank simmer. Was a fanatic of SSI's "Panzer Commander" back in the day.

The tank warfare in RO1 is what really grabbed me. It actually plays really well as a sim, in terms of vehicle modeling, ballistics, look and feel, etc. So fun.

Never was into fps at all, but I took baby steps into the infantry arena in RO1 and now I enjoy it. Will always love tanking, but I can tell that it is very different in RO2 (and I'm not so into the tank-only map).. Also there are only two vehicles right now. I'm sure mods will open all that up a bit.

So in the meantime, I continue to try to get better as a foot soldier ;) and I'm glad I was forced to try something new.

Upvote 0
I'm a tank simmer. Was a fanatic of SSI's "Panzer Commander" back in the day.

The tank warfare in RO1 is what really grabbed me. It actually plays really well as a sim, in terms of vehicle modeling, ballistics, look and feel, etc. So fun.

Never was into fps at all, but I took baby steps into the infantry arena in RO1 and now I enjoy it. Will always love tanking, but I can tell that it is very different in RO2 (and I'm not so into the tank-only map).. Also there are only two vehicles right now. I'm sure mods will open all that up a bit.

So in the meantime, I continue to try to get better as a foot soldier ;) and I'm glad I was forced to try something new.

Panzer Commander and Panzer Elite ! There's a blast from the past with a lot of fond memories.

Upvote 0
There are no good WWII tank sims these days. Why is that?

It's a niche market. Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942 looks awesome, but it's only single player! Amazing.

T34 vs. Tiger has multiplayer and looks nice as well (though its been out three years now, I think). I've often thought about grabbing it, but those are the only two playable tanks, which is kind of a bummer.

Someday.. Someone will create the definitive WWII tank sim.

Been in some RO1 tank battles that have been epic, though. First time I was in a 40 player tank-only battle almost blew me away :)

Upvote 0
i too started out as a ww2 flight simmer.. I'm surprised no one has mentioned World War 2 Online... That game is STILL an amazing flight/infantry/tank/anti air/anti tank MMO simulator.. The battles in that game can be truly epic at times with hundreds of people on each side fighting each other.. Good times.

Also love me some IL2, haven't tried the new one yet though, cliffs of dover. Heard it has tons of issues.

Upvote 0
Great post Marta, and hope to see more of your posts on these forums.

Fellow IL2-player myself, although it's been ages. And like you, RO was the first online shooter I played, previously only having played Quake, Action HL, and Duke over lan. Found RO randomly when turning on Steam one day and that was it - sold.

So I have no history with the Cods, BFs and the Mohs of this world, and frankly I couldn't really give a donkey's a*se about any of them anyway :p

Grognards unite! Cheers!

Upvote 0