• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server browser still cutting out internet.

Sheps

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2011
I posted this multiple times during the beta but never got any form of response.

Loading the entire server list in RO2 causes my internet to stop working and forces me to restart my router every time to get the net back. Hopefully I'll get something better in the form of an official response rather than being ignored for the umpteenth time.

My router is the WGR614v7 and I currently have the masterserver files in my config folder.

So this is whats causing that?

When the game requests data from the masterserver, it will get a bunch of packets with that data you've just requested. If you router has faulty software, it will think it's getting attacked and it will shut down.

If you bought a router like this, consult your manual on how to set it to allow the proper ports through unmolested.

If your ISP gave you the router, ask for one that doesn't suck.

The temp solution is to use the steam server browser, and in some cases this can also cause your internet to die.

The point of all this is, there are some routers will faulty rules than cause them to shut down the internet connection. We can't fix that.

Upvote 0
When the game requests data from the masterserver, it will get a bunch of packets with that data you've just requested. If you router has faulty software, it will think it's getting attacked and it will shut down.

If you bought a router like this, consult your manual on how to set it to allow the proper ports through unmolested.

If your ISP gave you the router, ask for one that doesn't suck.

The temp solution is to use the steam server browser, and in some cases this can also cause your internet to die.

The point of all this is, there are some routers will faulty rules than cause them to shut down the internet connection. We can't fix that.

I'll let you explain how it could possibly only be on my end if I have over 250+ multiplayer PC games and I don't have this problem with a single one.

Upvote 0
Well sorry for my harsh attitude, thought it was Tripwire who screwed it up. Any guides though? As your explanatin doesn't say much to me? Or ports needed to open?

Look for a "Maximum Ports" setting in your router control panel. You want to turn that up to at least ~1500 or so, but if you have a decent router it probably has more than enough RAM to support whatever the max is for that firmware.

Upvote 0

stuff
I use a home hub 3.0 on an infinity connection and this is the only game i've ever had this issue with, i've done the masterserver thing and tried the telnet trick but that won't work as i can't get access to it.

I know how to let the ports through etc, so can you post which ones RO2 needs please.

What i find most worrying about this is the fact it's not one model related (it's an issue for a number of models) and i find it very iffy that it's being blamed on routers and not the game/steam. I've had this router for months now and the only game EVER to make it shut down like this is RO2, that doesn't make me think i've got a sucky router, that makes me thing the game is causing it.

If it is the router (which i don't think it is) then surely it should be made clear that RO2 doesn't work with certain routers when you go to buy it and it should like these routers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0