• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What's breaking the WW2 experience for you?

WW2 Immersion Breakers: Recon planes instantly transmitting intelligence down to platoon level, in ww2 it would take days for this kind of recon info to filter down to platoon level.

Gameplay Breakers: Lockdown.

Irrational Gets On My Bloody Nerves Hate: Random voice chatter.

edit:- Recent Annoyance: The latest patch resetting all my custom settings and key binds to default. (rest of patch was great though haven't had one crash yet since patching.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Goten
Upvote 0
extremely accurate rifles, I fear them more than I feared MGs in RO1 !

Extremely busy screen even on realism servers

Something about the maps puts me off but I can't put my finger on it.

Lack of destructible environs and lack of multistory buildings. Destruction was one major selling point for me, but it turns out only little wooden sheds can be torn apart. Also it seems like half the buildings have a convenient bookcase blocking the stairs...

Upvote 0
WW2 Immersion Breakers: Recon planes instantly transmitting intelligence down to platoon level, in ww2 it would take days for this kind of recon info to filter down to platoon level.

Gameplay Breakers: Lockdown.

Irrational Gets On My Bloody Nerves Hate: Random voice chatter.

edit:- Recent Annoyance: The latest patch resetting all my custom settings and key binds to default. (rest of patch was great though haven't had one crash yet since patching.)

+1 in general, + 234234235435 for the plane !

Upvote 0
For me so far -

- Radio chatter voices, I dont understand why they are like that.
- Not enough recoil
- Zooming is like having binocular implants.
- running speed slightly too quick, encourages running around too much
- No sort of 'frontlines' like in Ostfront
- maps are strange, newer ones are good.
- some sound effects are better is ostfront
- weapon models often too dark
- player perspective on weapons seems too extreme, changing FOV has no noticeable effect on them
- Bandaging, i find this a poor feature. Healing your wound takes less than a second. Being hit in the leg or arm, should permanently slow down movement speed and aiming stability.
- Current English voice acting is annoying. 'Damn this gun!'
- Animations seem somewhat sloppy, especially the running animations, they look far too smooth and fluent and lack intensity and desperation.
- MG mounting is a dangerous pain in the bottom.
- Countdown and firefight offer no fun (personal preference.)

I swear nobody has looked at the game options. You can disable shift key zoom, you can change your gun zoom to 0, and you can make the chatter less frequent.
I keep seeing people complain about all these features when they are perfectly able to turn them off. IDIOTZ.

Oh yeah and the FOV turned up to 9 makes your vision much wider in case you didn't notice.

Also, playing in hardcore servers is helping me enjoy the game immensely. There aren't names floating around everywhere and people take their time. Plus no kill cam. I am slowly falling in love with this game. At first, I was kind of dissapointed. But with each new set of maps, the right settings and server, it's amazing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here's mine:

- Bandaging: It feels like a feature which was made just for the sake of having many features. You can use your healing hands in 2 seconds and after that you're as good as new. Moreover, it makes bolt action rifle playing frustating at times, since you don't have the luxury of spray and pray - if your hit lands on legs or arms (intentional or due to random hit detection).. Your target flees or returns fire without any repercussions, aside from that 2 second bandaging he'll need to do sooner or later.

While hits to arms and legs would not kill you, chances are that you are either incapacitated or severely limited in what you'll be doing. While adding consequences to being injured would make this feature bearable, I'm having a hard time believing that people would like to limp around the battlefield or having troubles aiming their weapons.. I'm sure we'd be better off with the RO1 injury model. Hopefully TWI gives this option or someone creates a mutator for it.

- Voices: English voice acting is immersion breaking and the constant chatter annoys the hell out of me. This turned a lot more bearable after I switched to native voices though.

- Lack of weapon sway, being low on stamina has no effect on this whatsoever either.

- Graphics and performance related things: Game is heavy for my computer, so I have to lower my settings so that some elements look even worse than they did in RO1.. Some textures look very bad from a distance, although many of them get better as I move closer to them - not all though. Also, what's up with the foliage which keeps growing as I move around? Even some crates pop out of nowhere.

There's a lot more I could write about but the above issues are the most important ones.

Reactions: TheGoden
Upvote 0
I disagree. I admire TWI hugely and have played all versions of RO since 2003 but RO has always been built on a foundation of realism and historical accuracy. I and many many others voted at every stage of the Make Something Unreal competition that won the devs the UT3 engine. Without that engine they would not have developed RO2. They sold I read, at last count, 400,000 copies of Ostfront which was built on the UT2.5 engne, also won in the same competition voted for by all the RO players.

I don't mind at all that they have included relaxed realism servers and think its a good idea. It will draw more people to the game which has to be good. All the old RO players would like is a Hardcore Realism mode akin to Ostfront.

There are dozens of fast paced run and gun shooters out there. I play them too but there are very few games like RO and it would be a shame to see it become one those and lose sight of the values and ideals it was started on.

I dont think we are demanding anything. We just want to see RO still be based on that same foundation it was started with years ago and continue in the same vain. Hardcore servers should be exactly that. Similar to Ostfront and the relaxed servers for those who prefer something a little faster passed etc. Hopefully some of those players will join a realism server and see what has made all us realism nuts love the game so much and stick with it all this time. There is room for everyone and don't see why there is so many arguments about it. We should stick together and support TWI and help them make the game we all want to play.

Ta

Sal

Solid post and well said Sal

Upvote 0
Bandaging instantly is really stupid. You either shouldn't be able to or it should take 20 seconds or more to apply one.

In ARMA II I could apply a bandage and it takes about 20 seconds. Even then I am still in the same amount of pain, still needing a medic, and quivering.

The rifles, sniper rifles, and pistols are all quite fine so far. The MGs have far too much muzzle climb when in a bipod and that is not realistic whatsoever (go rent an mg and try this, TI). The SMGs are hit and miss. The MP40 is really good but the Ppsh is brokenly stupid in use. The muzzle climb is nowhere near that bad irl.

My character should NEVER yell out **** that gives me away. It's incredibly dumb.

Recon planes need to go away PERMANENTLY.

Grenades should not fall off of my body when I die. They should stay on me and people looking to loot a body for ammo should have to enter an interuptable animation to get stuff.

I should be able to interupt loading of ammo into any gun like I can irl. I shouldn't get stuck loading 4 rounds of 8mm one at a time and getting shot even though slapping the bolt forward and going back to firing what I have left is pretty easy.

Squad menus are a complete mess. It should be set up like BC2's squad system if anything.

The game DESPERATELY needs ACRE or some other quality VOIP communication. Typing out "he's around this corner" is just stupid. I need to be able to say it. The current VOIP is rather unfiltered.

Do away with black screens entirely. If I get killed I damn well better be able to spectate my team if I can't respawn anyways.

NO MORE KILL CAM BULL **** THAT GETS ME KILLED WHEN THAT GUY I SHOT RESPAWNS

Smacking someone on their torso with a melee attack doesn't do anything and shouldn't. Bayonet attacks shouldn't be instant kills when GUNSHOT WOUNDS TO THE SAME SPOT LET THAT PERSON BANDAGE THEMSELVES.

Reactions: SQBsam
Upvote 0
I only have performance peeves so far.
Ballance and finetuning of "realism"stuff will happen in the future (knowing TWI).

- Arty is eating my frames
- Point blank emptying your smg on an enemy but nothing hits. (Up to the point that I don't even see bulletholes in the walls behind the target)
- Insta area protection.
- Lockdown irritation.
- Arty marking/spotting

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I only have performance peeves so far.
Ballance and finetuning of "realism"stuff will happen in the future (knowing TWI).

- Arty is eating my frames
- Point blank emptying your smg on an enemy but nothing hits. (Up to the point that I don't even see bulletholes in the walls behind the target)
- Insta area protection.
- Lockdown irritation.
- Arty marking/spotting

I must ask, what's your problem with arty spotting? :|

Upvote 0
I must ask, what's your problem with arty spotting? :|

My problem is that when I look out of a window, I mark the windowframe instead of the intended target.
This is just an example.
It is mostly "non-terrain" items (hedgehogs, boxes, tank/airplane wrecks barbedwire etc.) getting targetted instead of the terrain beyond, which is the actual target.
As if those "items" are bigger then they are in reality.
Looking through a window from the side/at an angle this becomes more apparant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
- Voice Radio Chatter (NOT the artillery/recon dialogue)
If you do pay attention you will notice that sometimes you hear friendly and opfor voice messages as radio chatter - as opposed to a guy yelling out next to you. Makes me feel more like I'm in a modern combat enviroment then WW2. I do feel that voice commands are underused at this stage, but that's up to the people to use them.

What is it that breaks the immersion, the feeling of being in the middle of a WW2 firefight, to you?

I totally agree, voice comms should be local only (at least in realism mode), IMHO this would in some small part reinforce the importance of staying in/near your squad (stray to far and you can't hear them/you're cut off from some situational awareness)

Another gripe I have are with the sound effects, in general they don't have quite the same impact as in RO1 (the arty specifically, as well as many of the gun sounds). Ostfronts artillery felt like the end of the world, and the weapons sounded powerful, I can't speak for their authenticity, I'm merely talking about the subjective experience. Sometimes just the roar of the MG firing at you was enough for you to keep your head down. I guess what I'm trying to say is that things don't sound threatening enough (yet) in HOS.

Perhaps in realism mode the sound effects should be accurately scaled (I recognize the problem with that, we don't want peoples speakers blowing up, but I'm sure there's a middle ground somewhere).

What removes me from the immersion, is the amount of stuff on the HUD (I realize much of it can be turned off). What I thought was brilliant when playing the mod was that when my soldier got tired there was an audio cue, his heavy breathing, that alerted me to the fact that he was tired. I know I could be turning off that hud element (as I did in ostfront), and that in reality one would feel how tired one is, but I think it's more about a kind of design philosophy.

I don't really like the popups "press x to use cover", and the little image below it showing me what it might look like if I used the cover system. Is that necessary after you've played a few times? Its like theres some text on my HUD for most of the game

I agree that the popup is sort of annoying, but the problem with removing it completely is that sometimes there is a surface that seems totally appropriate to use as cover, but the mapper (i assume) didn't designate it as such, without the popup I would be there for seconds pressing the use key in a futile attempt to get down.

As it stands, I'm split on the cover system. Half the time I can find a better/more secure angle without using the cover function.

Upvote 0
Most of is already mentionned in the previous post...

- English voices

- Radio-like voices coming from nowhere

- Random shouting when I'm behind enemy lines, seriously

- Voice commands

- Grenade boucing back when I throw them through windows (the window glass is gone, but the window model is still a "wall" for grenades - it's not just the sashbars, it's the entire panel being grenade proof)

- the User Interface :
a) Players name (it kills the immersion AND prevents me from aiming at enemy slightly above my teamates).

b) "The Axis/Allies are capturing X" big messages. Should be smaller.

c) The recon plane informations : what the heck is that text wall ?? "rifleman" "rifleman"... can't they just put a slight "aura" effect (like if there was a weak searchlight pointing there), to attract your attention if you're not asleep ?

- Soldiers' precision : with the low recoil and the "realist" accuracy of the weapons, all you have to do is point'n'click on enemies to get an easy kill. Landing 20 bullets in a 50 cm radius at 100 m with a SMG weapon, after a sprinting for 30 seconds, while standing, is really easy.

- everytime I'm getting spawn camped by some lazy player trying to get a better k/d ratio

- bandaging : much too fast to bandage the wounds, much too fast to die from bandageable wounds.
=> I should be able to survive light wounds for more seconds (adrenalin ftw), so I could retreat to a safe position, and it should require more time to bandage these wounds.
=> Right now, if an enemy is bleeding softly, I don't have enough time to rush to his position to finish him, while if I get wounded I can only run a meter or two before the bandage button.

- tank crew AI, especially the secondary MG. I got 40 kills on my first try as a tank commander. Once an enemy is at close range, it's an unstoppable killing machine.

Upvote 0

I hate this. I hate this SOOOOO much.

It makes no sense; is the commander uploading information to a chip implanted in my brain?

I cant wait until the community mods these stupid features away. Unlocks, stats, fixed bayonet, anachronistic weapons/attachments, 15min long arty, etc.

If i wasnt so busy i'd start working on a mod myself...

Upvote 0