• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Lockdown is ruining the game?

The Lockdown system has some setbacks yes. I think the game would be better without it. For instance:

Today we were playing a territory match on trainstation. It took us some time to cap the 1st objective and the lockdown timer was at some 30 seconds. Off we went to get the second objective and got killed. The enemy captured the 1st objective back and the lockdown timer began at 30 seconds ! So basically we lost the game instantly. I think at least territory game should have more fluxuation in it.

Upvote 0
Positive

Lockdown prevents long, one sided games where for some reason, the defending team is totally superior to the attacking. I've had games like that many times in RO and it was often not fun. They happen here too, but the lockdown tends to put a merciful end to the situation. And the mad rush for objectives may actually turn a bad situation around for a losing team. It also promotes the 'kill to death ratio' types to get into the objectives at hand, instead of just killing the other side.

Negative

However, it is true that lockdown with the current time limit, removes the option of winning by killing in some cases. And it also causes the 'mad rush for objectives' as the timer runs out.

What then?

Auto-balancing teams could get some attention, spawn points overhauled a bit, squad communications (important more for the attacking team) improved. And if that fails, slightly increase the lockdown time. No biggie.

Upvote 0
Whilst NKVD political officers did shoot people who were not advancing it was not like those men were expected to seize an objective within 5 minutes or not at all.

Maybe there could be an incentivized system that motivates people to want to cap in a time frame BUT it shouldn't arbitrarily end the game thereby ruining the flow of a battle.

BUT

It should be an incentive and it shouldn't be an entirely non enjoyable punishment that ends round in the space of 5 minutes that should ideally last at least 30.

Well this gave me an idea... How about if you stay in the first spawning zone for too long you get shot with the message of ADVANCE OR DIE, TRAITOR!... or something similar...It would punish those who camp or idle, and would do no harm to those who are actually trying to do something...

Of course for the next objectives timers could always be made longer...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well this gave me an idea... How about if you stay in the first spawning zone for too long you get shot with the message of ADVANCE OR DIE, TRAITOR!... or something similar...It would punish those who camp or idle, and would do no harm to those who are actually trying to do something...

Sometimes camping is the best way to cap an objective later, like taking out the mg, sniper or any other enemy that keeps killing your team. In apartments I am able to get in the sniper house of the germans as a soviet and start shooting them from behind, helping my team. Also MGs and snipers are supposed to be relative stationary.

Perhaps I should make a poll with some suggestions like
Only lockdown on first objective
Longer Lockdown timer
Remove Lockdown
Serverside option
No changes

Any other suggestions?

Upvote 0

+1...I like the idea of "Advance or Die" if in Spawn...just like in a Minefield.
Camping itself is a good tactic if done right to support other advancing troops...just don't do it in Spawn.

Upvote 0
I think lock down could be reduced out without much problem, I don't remember any problems with people not attacking on maps without lockdown.
Also I was playing pav's house and the game just got more and more awesome the longer we played with front lines starting to form and shift.

As it's been mentioned before having lockdown forces one side to only use rush tactics. Lockdown could be used sparingly for certain capture points in particular where a rush tactic is designed to be used instead of every point on the map.

Upvote 0
You have like two options.

Play a map for a very long time where one side (usually attackers) will never get anywhere but you have to play the map for a very long period of time until its over. Or you have something like lockdown.

I think the lockdown times for some points on the current maps need some adjusting but the general idea behind lockdown is right. Might also be a good idea to make lockdown a server side setting so hosts can choose to use it or not to use it.

Upvote 0
You have like two options.

Play a map for a very long time where one side (usually attackers) will never get anywhere but you have to play the map for a very long period of time until its over. Or you have something like lockdown.

I think the lockdown times for some points on the current maps need some adjusting but the general idea behind lockdown is right. Might also be a good idea to make lockdown a server side setting so hosts can choose to use it or not to use it.

The problem with that is that I have seen PLENTY of teams pull themselves together once they realize they aren't going to win easily and smoke the defending team. Lockdown prevents this by forcing them into desperate tactics prematurely.

Upvote 0
Well its always good when players realize they do something wrong but that effect is not completly gone with lockdown, they just probably dont get it right in the same round. As already said I think some points need a bit of balancing when it comes to lockdown and making this a serverside setting might be also a good idea.

Upvote 0
Just make deactivate lockdown when the attackers capture the first or second objective. It's easy as that. It's good in apartments, when the russians capture the first 2 objectives (the bridgeheads) lockdown goes away. The only problem with that is lockdown is a bit short there so when the russians manage to do it they have more than enough time to capture the next 2.

Upvote 0
Just make deactivate lockdown when the attackers capture the first or second objective. It's easy as that. It's good in apartments, when the russians capture the first 2 objectives (the bridgeheads) lockdown goes away. The only problem with that is lockdown is a bit short there so when the russians manage to do it they have more than enough time to capture the next 2.

What about Grain Elevator or Red October Factory? The first cap or two on both of those are the hardest caps in the level against the most well-entrenched enemy. After that, it's a breeze for the attackers.

Just about every game of ROFactory I've played has been cut short by the lockdown just as the Soviets were starting to take some ground, or the casualties it took to secure the factory in 5 minutes kneecapped them for the rest of the game.

Upvote 0