• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wounding effects.

I think the fall down would be a bit much.
People can just always aim for the legs then when you are trying to cross a street.
you fall down and just have to wait there for the next bullet.
This would make the running from house to house even more likely to get you killed then it already is.

Also I can tell you that adrenaline is amazing. Someone would have to shoot you right in a tendon or something to make you stop running.

And the sway more when arm shot, well on this one either i am in a place i can patch up, so it won't matter I'm not going to keep shooting anyway.
Or some fool is right on top of me and it's shoot or die no time to patch(often shooting past the patch up point anyway in this situation).
So this effect would be pretty negligible.

While both sound more real, i do not think they would be any game changers here that are needed, just an even steeper difficulty curve for the player in the tight spot already.

However if you were talking about the arm sway being permanent(until respawn), and getting shot in the leg makes you move slower, that would be something that would have an effect on game play. But not one i am ready to see.
I like a good bit of realism, but it's got to have some game play balance in there.

Upvote 0
I don't think you should prone.

I think that getting hit in the arm should penalize your aim permanently, although less after bandaging, and getting shot in the leg should penalize your stamina - that is, your duration of running, as opposed to speed.

This indeed, or complete lack of running, because that would be silly after shot in the leg.

At least make wounds do something. Now when you fire a bolt in someones body and he's not dead instantly, he just runs around happily after bandaging. As long as there is some penalty for being shot, it's fine. Now it's like a complete regeneration, although that term is a little misplaced, it really lacks a penalty.

Upvote 0
Asking devs to essentially revamp the damage system they've set up(new animations and so forth) 5 days before the release? Unfeasible, regardless of whether the idea itself is sound.

Find it to be fine the way it is thus far. Makes for more dynamic battles and encourages movement in expense of some immersion (though after awhile I stopped paying attention).
Discourage movement and people will resort to just to just incredibly slow games of attrition, where anyone who shows any offensive initiative is punished (a game I would not play).

Upvote 0
I don't know if I like the idea of fully healing wounds with a bandage. wounds should be permanent, with or without bandages, so why not make the bleed out time longer to give the illusion of choice. A slower bleed out period would really only favor people who are pinned or unsure about their safety (bandage now or wait?) because anyone trying to run and gun is just going pass out.

Having teammates bandage each other would be cool as long as self healing was still an option (make team healing faster?). The only real problem is: the "use" key is already bound to like 3 things - do you really want to add to that?

...also, what are the rules for the bleed out mechanic? Does it only happen when hit in certain areas or is it based on the severity of the wound?

Upvote 0
I agree that it makes very little sense from a realism OR gameplay perspective that wounding has no real consequences.

That's because you are thinking of features like this in isolation. None of them make sense by themselves, but as a whole they do.

The bandaging mechanic is there because the wounding mechanic is unrealistic. If I take your arm entirely off with a bullet, you are not going to die in a few seconds. You may not die at all. But in this game we don't have the ability to keep fighting with one arm. So what we do have is the ability to make a minor wound go away.

If you don't deal with a minor wound quickly, you will die. That is unrealistic. So they have another unrealistic thing to compensate - bandaging.

People seem to think that a minor wound like being shot in the arm should take you out of the game, yet in the real world, especially in WWII, minor wounds would not be treated for hours. There was no medevac. So people HAD to fight on while wounded. If they were still capable of pulling a trigger, they did it.

It's not even that rare. Purple hearts are given out by the bucketful for a reason. Being wounded in combat is a given. Most soldiers will be wounded several times in a large war.

One unrealistic feature is there to balance the other. If you take away one, you leave the other unbalanced unless you take that away too.

Let me put it this way, if wounds were permanent and untreatable, I would spend a lot less time trying to get kills and a lot more time trying to turn the opposite team into a bunch of cripples. One bullet each and they'll be hobbled. Killing them just means they respawn fully healthy again in a few seconds. Far better to wound them and leave them crippled.

Upvote 0
I find the bandage system really a BAD idea.

I would be another story if it was another player to bandage the wounded one (more team work... instead here we are all Rambos stiching by our own alone)!

And anyway not in 2 seconds!!!
This a little.
Self bandaging would only apply for weaker wounds that weren't lethal. For the more distressing wounds a teammate would have to stop and help. And of course this all needs to take at least a few seconds.

Upvote 0
Bandaging should only stop bleeding. It's ridiculous that I can sprint away and bandage myself after being shot in the hip.

Slow death is also very cheap and destroys balance for bolt-actions who can't put a second bullet in the target before they get shot by someone they just killed. Also it seems to happen every single time I shoot someone in the stomach with the bolt-action. It shouldn't be that predictable IMO.

Upvote 0
I agree there should a way to represent being wounded. As it is now you either die, or you bandage and are a-ok. I'd love for a server side option (at the very least) to enable wounding. It was said early on that any wound that would take you out of the fight through death/incapacitation would be considered a kill in RO2. This I agree with, since I'd rather not wait the rest of the round dying as my stomach wound became septic. But I do think that non-critical wounds to the legs/arms should impare a soldier's ability to fight at 100%. The way I would do it is to have any wound to the arms/legs affect those attributes, run spead/stamina and aim. Wounds that cause sufficiant bleeding to need bandaging would work as it is now. Bandaging however, would not remove these negative effects, it would simply stop the bleeding.

Upvote 0
I don't think you should prone.

I think that getting hit in the arm should penalize your aim permanently, although less after bandaging, and getting shot in the leg should penalize your stamina - that is, your duration of running, as opposed to speed.
This sounds like a more sensible suggestion.

I don't think there should be any real encouragement for bandaging on top of the current threat of slowly dying.

Upvote 0
I know the reality thing sounds cool, but trust me it would probably not work out well.

You die so easy in this game that if you did manage to patch up once, it's not any better odds that your going to survive the next time you get shot.
If people were hampered by getting shot until their next respawn, i suspect many players would not bother patching up at all. Just die and come back fully functional.

If you could just eat bullets like in many other more arcade style shooters then long term damage might make more sense(eat a clip, it slows me down, but i can eat more clips as long as i have time to endlessly auto heal). With the high odds of getting killed any time you get shot, and the fact that it's not unlimited auto heal, it's just not that much of a game changer to eat a bullet or two before your out for good while staying fully functional.

Last edited:
Upvote 0