• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Custom Maps - Historical or otherwise...

Afternoon all,

With the release nearing, I am now gearing up to start work on a couple of maps I have planned out.

My question is, do custom maps for a game like RO2 need to be historically accurate as well as be well designed with good gameplay to be warmly received by the community, or can we design maps that look like they fit the theme of RO2 without actually being based around an actual part of Stalingrad etc?

New Maps

New Maps

Historical accuracy isn't all that important. Its a plus but not the most important part.

I think the most important thing is scale. Tripwire has developed some great maps that feel real because the scale is right. The buildings don't tower over you and streets/alleyways don't feel a mile wide.

Upvote 0
Gameplay > all.

However, gameplay with our weaponry also depends on scale. If you prefer to make a non-historical map, I suggest you still look at google earth or google maps to get a sense of how wide roads are, how tall buildings are, how cities or villages are build. You could even use a screenshot of a town or city you like as a guide on how to build things.

Upvote 0