• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Close quaters hit detection

SunKing

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2006
Sacramento
When two guys run up on each, or turn a corner the hit detection is gone.

I've been on both sides of it. You've got a smg and you know the guys coming around the corner. He turns the corner, you open up zoomed in and he doesn't take a hit. He's able to get two rifle shots off and kill you. Can you look into this. Lag issue? Hit detection, hit box issues at close range? what is it.

I just experienced this with pistol, ran into an enemy, we both saw each other and ducked back behind walls. i came out with my pistol sighted, waiting for him to come out. he slides out and i shoot him three times with the pistol, about 10 feet away, all good shots that hit. he then brings up his rifle and shoots me, killing me, and walks away without a scratch. it's the most frustrating experience.

however i noticed when i tabbed to see the server's playerlist, all the players had 200+ms pings at the time. when we'd started playing the match, we were mostly down around 70ms. So it looks like some of this may be attributable to servers who have no business hosting 40+ players because their bandwidth and hardware can't handle it and it gets choked up and the game turns into garbage because of it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sounds like an in-cover / not in-cover issue. I think I've experienced although its not necessarily in close quarters. Try NOT using the take cover feature and see if it makes a difference.

Its an UE3 engine issue. Saw the same crap in gears of war 2, which this game seems to borrow cover mechanics / code from.

Upvote 0
What is your ping? Packetloss? Was the server not able to handle 64 players? Did you see blood?

I have had a similar instance where I shot a German 4 times point blank with my revolver only to have him whip around, shoot me with the rifle, and carry on merry as can be. I saw blood splatter and bullet holes and the whole 9 yards, but it didn't seem to bother him a bit.

No latency at the time, though it was a 64 player server and I tend to struggle with those.

Upvote 0
Sounds like an in-cover / not in-cover issue. I think I've experienced although its not necessarily in close quarters. Try NOT using the take cover feature and see if it makes a difference.

Its an UE3 engine issue. Saw the same crap in gears of war 2, which this game seems to borrow cover mechanics / code from.

Sorry, I meant "cover" in the generic sense. I did not mean to imply the "cover" mechanic in the game. I never use that. What I meant was we both went out of sight of each other, behind walls. I came out first, pistol at the ready. When he came out, I stitched him up with the pistol. He then brought up his rifle and shot me. I died. He did not.

Upvote 0
I cant tell you how many times I have "clipped" into an enemy! Its so frustrating! I run into a room and right into an enemy, i may try to hip fire my gun, but the momentum seems to just throw my head into the enemies gun barrel, and I die from an instant head shot...... WTF!!!

This has also happened to my own team! I could be sitting at a window aiming my rifle, and some idiot just comes up behind me and "phases" right through my body and into the line of my sight as I fire my gun.... Instant team kill.... WTF AGAIN! :mad:

Upvote 0
I get this (issue in Original post) all the time also but one thing that occurred to me recently is that I NEVER have this issue occur with melee. (In other words, melee always works) I dunno if that is a real hint or just coincidence but it's strange to me that if I run around a corner and butt somebody in the head it always hits when otherwise close quarters is so random.

Upvote 0
I too have experienced this -- inexplicable moments like dumping an entire clip in to an enemy's back (at close range) and staring in disbelief as they turn around and kill me. Creeping up on someone, aiming for their head, taking the shot and nothing happening.

I've also been on the receiving end where I should have been dead but emerge unscathed from a close quarters engagement.

I can not reproduce it on command, but it happens rather frequently and definitely under all types of conditions (small servers, big servers). My gut says it may have something to do with network conditions but it's something I haven't experienced so severely in another game before, no not even BFBC2 - it's far worse.

There are, of course, plenty of long distance shots that I think should have resulted in a kill but didn't: but I'm not talking about those - as it may easily be my lack of skill rather than a bug - what I'm talking about are unambiguous moments where the enemy occupied most of my screen, sometimes with their back to me where anyone should have got the kill.

Any idea how I can further help to identify this? It's been with me since the first beta release..

Reactions: jay35
Upvote 0
lol I am watching your channel and just saw it happen to you :)

you had the drop on a German (you surprised him in a room you entered) and you shot your semi-auto rifle at him three times almost point-blank with no result, and then he turned and killed you.

a short while later you had a similar encounter but this time you won it because your shots actually registered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am doing something wrong that does not happen in RO1. Here is the scene, I am hiding behind a door as a Russian with a smg. In walks a German, he doesn't see me. At waist high, I cut him in two. However, in RO2, he turns around and shots me and I die. Am I shooting paint balls here or what? I am not ranting about the game per say, just what am I doing wrong? I am usually in the top 5 in kills in RO1, but I am now always in the bottom in RO2. I usually get the first shots, but die anyway. W*F
`swamp

Upvote 0