• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How big are the maps?

They are small. Remember you are only allowed to be in a certain area at a certain time.

So basically you are limited to 25-50% of each map at any given time.

The worst thing is if you have flanked the enemy and your team loses a territory... then you are instagibbed by GOD since the place you were in have turned to PROTECTED AREA.

This is really stupid imo... at least for 64 players...

Upvote 0
OP are you asking in comparison to RO1 or are you in comparison to other games?

I wouldn't call them small by any stretch of imagination. The environments are large and the area restrictions help to focus gameplay within them. Compared to other games these are huge environments. Even Apartments is maybe twice the size of most CoD maps and that's pretty much the smallest map in the game. In comparison to RO1 the tiny maps are bigger and the huge maps are smaller.

In real life scale we're talking maybe just shy of 1000 x 1000 meters for the largest maps like Gumrak.. which is pretty huge. I'd estimate Apartments at about 400 x 400 meters.

Upvote 0
I dont know if would call them small or big. I think they are big enough, but the protected zones like already mentioned in this tread PISSES me off sometimes. I crouch around then suddenly a message on my screen reads "Warning, this is a protected area" or something and a voice tells me to get out of there and then BAM im dead before I can even react.

I would say the maps are the roughly the same size as most CS and CoD maps, some are a bit larger or a bit smaller but its very far from Battlefield size.

Upvote 0
They are small. Remember you are only allowed to be in a certain area at a certain time.

So basically you are limited to 25-50% of each map at any given time.

The worst thing is if you have flanked the enemy and your team loses a territory... then you are instagibbed by GOD since the place you were in have turned to PROTECTED AREA.

This is really stupid imo... at least for 64 players...

I agree with Porta here. The whole "Protected Area" crap needs to stop.

I was in the middle of flanking a defended capzone with 4 guys and then the capzones swapped and all 5 of us were insta-gibbed for no reason. Why am I being punished for using tactics? This + Lockdown basically means the only SAFE way of getting a capzone is to head-on charge it from the front. Since you don't have time to flank and usually get blown up anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I dont know if would call them small or big. I think they are big enough, but the protected zones like already mentioned in this tread PISSES me off sometimes. I crouch around then suddenly a message on my screen reads "Warning, this is a protected area" or something and a voice tells me to get out of there and then BAM im dead before I can even react.

I would say the maps are the roughly the same size as most CS and CoD maps, some are a bit larger or a bit smaller but its very far from Battlefield size.

They're way bigger than COD maps and at times larger than BF maps...

Upvote 0
The reason there is protected areas is simple seems like you guys are trying to camp a spawn lol.On a defensive map if you don't protect the capzone and loose it the map pushes back.SO in turn you need to go to the next capzone and protect it.The enemy will spawn in the zone they just captured.

Maybe instead of ignoring the caps you guys should play the territory maps the way they was designed.If you want to just go where ever you want plz try firefight mode.Ignoring the cap is also why you guys are loosing the objectives and the enemy spawn is pushed forward.

Upvote 0
The reason there is protected areas is simple seems like you guys are trying to camp a spawn lol.On a defensive map if you don't protect the capzone and loose it the map pushes back.SO in turn you need to go to the next capzone and protect it.The enemy will spawn in the zone they just captured.

Maybe instead of ignoring the caps you guys should play the territory maps the way they was designed.If you want to just go where ever you want plz try firefight mode.Ignoring the cap is also why you guys are loosing the objectives and the enemy spawn is pushed forward.

Eh, some people prefer to use tactics and outsmart the enemy instead of marching forward and fighting them head on. It's not about trying to camp a spawn, some people are just trying to flank and come behind the enemy, or wherever they're vulnerable.

Upvote 0
Eh, some people prefer to use tactics and outsmart the enemy instead of marching forward and fighting them head on. It's not about trying to camp a spawn, some people are just trying to flank and come behind the enemy, or wherever they're vulnerable.

At the same time ignoring the cap and loosing the zones/matches pushing back the spawns.I play in and around the caps and never have this problem.Sometimes you can just go off the edge of the map and hit these spots ..Even then tho your not helping the team being FAR away from the capzone.If you must insist on being out of the capzone at least cover the zone from another position.

The maps are plenty big for multiple flanks on a capzone the problem is 75% of the players seem to just ignore caps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
At the same time ignoring the cap and loosing the zones/matches pushing back the spawns.I play in and around the caps and never have this problem.Sometimes you can just go off the edge of the map and hit these spots ..Even then tho your not helping the team being FAR away from the capzone.If you must insist on being out of the capzone at least cover the zone from another position.

The maps are plenty big for multiple flanks on a capzone the problem is 75% of the players seem to just ignore caps.

The best way to defend the cap zone is to prevent them from getting to it in the first place. Cutting off access. The entire team doesn't need to be in the zone to defend. Normally a good defense will not consist of an entire team stacked in one static area.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The best way to defend the cap zone is to prevent them from getting to it in the first place. Cutting off access. The entire team doesn't need to be in the zone to defend. Normally a good defense will not consists of an entire team stacked in one static area.

but not 75% of the team ignoring the caps is a sure fire way to loose the match every time. For every guy you kill out of the zone 3 get by you and start capturing the undefended territory.I have played R01 since beta I know a thing or 2 about territory matches.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
but not 75% of the team ignoring the caps is a sure fire way to loose the match every time. For every guy you kill out of the zone 3 get by you and start capturing the undefended territory.I have played R01 since beta I know a thing or 2 about territory matches.

Being undefended is another story, of course you fall back in those situations. But, therein lies the problem with Territory. It really doesn't lend itself for broader tactics as capping is a little too black and white. Do you really have an obj if there's a squad maybe 20m outside of a "cap zone". Nonetheless, still love it.

Upvote 0