• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Question] Is a GPU update usefull ?

redkun

Aug 8, 2011
Hey gentleman,

my system is now 3 years old.

Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Intel Q9550 @2,8Ghz
4GB Ram DDR2
Geforce XFX 260GTX XXX

@1680x1050

i only can play on servers with less then 50 players.

i play on mid-high and my frames are sometime at 20-50.

so what u know is it worth to update the GPU to a Geforce 560ti or something like that ? (150-200€)

its not funney to play the game in that way :)

when it isnt, i will wait and buy a new system next sprintime with the new GPU gen.#

thanks to all

What Video settings do you have "on"?

With a GTX 260 I'd try running mostly at Medium
Ambient Occlusion disabled
Vertical Sync Disabled
Anti-Aliasing Low
Resolution is ok.

An upgrade to a 560 TI would be a good improvement to your video performance. The higher memory would allow you to play with settings at Ultra/High with very high AA and AF at higher resolutions.

If it is in your budget I think it is a worthwhile upgrade.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/318?vs=330

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thx for the link Apparition. u think my cpu and ram is not to bad for the GPU ?

yes all uptodate.

how are ur settings mate? i try last times model detail and texture detail high.

the rest run on mid.

ok my antialaising are on mid-high.

maybee i should buy me the new GPU and wait. when i cant run new games and buy me a new system .

Upvote 0
thx for the link Apparition. u think my cpu and ram is not to bad for the GPU ?

At stock like your CPU is, a GTX 560 TI will be fine with any game/program that can use all 4 cores. Only when you SLI or run at above 1920x1080 will the 2.8 Ghz start to negatively impact your games. Lower frames than others.

My 470 is similar to the 560 TI in terms of stock performance. My Q9550 has no trouble running it.

I run my system at Ultra settings, High shadows, Ultra MLAA at 1920x1080 and I average 40 FPS. Plays really well. So you'd should see similar performance to my system - I don't know what motherboard you have but I use the P45 chipset - this can make a difference.

ok my antialaising are on mid-high.

Try dropping this down to low. I recorded up to 640 MB of video Ram being used with my settings. This is more than the 512 the GTX 260 has. AA uses a lot of video memory so lowering it should help your performance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are software overclocking suites out there. Asus has one for Asus mobos, gigabyte also I believe has one. Check with your Mobo manufacturer.

I find BIOS overclocking more stable though, and more accurate. My experiences with software clocking is that it raises the CPU voltage too high.

Pretty easy to get to 3.6 on this chip though. It has a multiplier of 8.5 x 425 front side bus = 3.6 :)
Leaving memory on auto will keep it stable
My voltage at CPU 1.26 is very stable.

That is it really. When you overclock to the limits of the CPU is when it becomes challenging. I was able to hit 3.8 but I have a basic motherboard so I don't think it could manage.

Upvote 0
Going to throw my two cents in here, I have a system somewhat similar to the OPs.
A friend of mine just upgraded his video cards and I have one of his old GTX 560 Ti's in my system, replacing a GTX 260, this has made little difference for me, maybe a few frames tops, all I can do now is run higher settings with just as much terrible FPS as lowest, the rest of my system is:

Q6600 @ 3.0 ghz
4GB RAM

In all my other games the difference is literally mind blowing (naval battles don't get choppy in Empire anymore!), in RO2 its.. minimal, hopefully this is just because of beta still.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Going to throw my two cents in here, I have a system somewhat similar to the OPs.
A friend of mine just upgraded his video cards and I have one of his old GTX 560 Ti's in my system, replacing a GTX 260, this has made little difference for me, maybe a few frames tops, all I can do now is run higher settings with just as much terrible FPS as lowest, the rest of my system is:

Q6600 @ 3.0 ghz
4GB RAM

In all my other games the difference is literally mind blowing (naval battles don't get choppy in Empire anymore!), in RO2 its.. minimal, hopefully this is just because of beta still.

Hope u post the result when the final arrives :)

that will make my decision.

and can sure i can update the rest of my sys soon :)

Upvote 0