• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MP-40 is a a death ray gun!

CCCP

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2006
Played Barracks with my friend and i was able to get 3 kills until I picked up a mp-40.
I fraged 29 extra kills in 5-7 m time.
This gun is seriously too powerful! Getting people from 100 150 m was so easy. I didn't even use SVT ( wich is super easy in RO2) for long ranges.
PPSH is no match for MP-40.
I wonder was it really that good? And more importanly was PPSH that bad?

Over 100m is pushing it's range. If you're getting kills at say 150m then your enemy is just not paying attention.

At ~100m you *can* get kills, as that's considered the MP40s maximum effective range against point targets, a Rifleman who is alert may sprint to cover (very hard to hit moving targets at 100m with MP40) and pick you clean off.

Upvote 0
Over 100m is pushing it's range. If you're getting kills at say 150m then your enemy is just not paying attention.

At ~100m you *can* get kills, as that's considered the MP40s maximum effective range against point targets, a Rifleman who is alert may sprint to cover (very hard to hit moving targets at 100m with MP40) and pick you clean off.

The MP 40 was used by the british rather than the sten, it wrecked havoc at Arnhem and before dunkirk performed good accuracy in taking out the riflemen.... It was one of the best SMG's along with the Thompson

Upvote 0
I think PPSh and MP are fine.
MP is very easy to use.
PPSh has more firepower because of much higher rate of fire, but that makes it more difficult to use longer range. Supporting your weapon helps alot and 7,62x25 should have flatter trajectory than the 9x19 so that might even it out.
Try shooting that MP-40 at 200 meters; bullet flight time is half a second, hits are some 2 meters low and damage is minimal.

I heard that once we get PPSh drum mags it's gonna reduce the recoil.
Not sure if that's confirmed but it would propably make PPSh better than MP.

Upvote 0
I had a moment this morning in Pavlovs House map where I walked into a room at the same time as a Russian rifleman. I didn't have time to bring up the iron sights on my MP40 so I shot from the hip and it was like the scene in Pulp Fiction whee all the bullets went around Samuel L Jackson lol. Then he shot me with one shot.

Upvote 0
Played Barracks with my friend and i was able to get 3 kills until I picked up a mp-40.
This gun is seriously too powerful! Getting people from 100 150 m was so easy. I didn't even use SVT ( wich is super easy in RO2) for long ranges.

It was a finely crafted weapon but was used in smaller numbers than the ppsh.About the only thing the ppsh had on it is rate of fire also rofl stomping the mp40 from the hip close quarters.

I agree tho over 100m it needs to be less accurate in RL it was only that accurate up to 50m.9mm bullet drops considerably over 100m up to 5-6 foot at 200m for example in RL.I dread to see what it can do at max rank.

Then again im biased just a grumpy old rifleman tired of getting mowed down by smg's at range :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's true, no matter how you slice it. Anytime I want to cruise on easy street in RO2, I just select an MP40 if its available. Seriously, a baby could use this gun.

The MP40 has basically zero recoil (the sights just wiggle a bit when you fire) and is essentially a fully automatic headshot gun. I have actually managed to SNIPE with it on Fallen Fighters, killing people at 150-200m distances, just to test its effectiveness. This should be near impossible for two reasons:

1) The MP40's 9mm round should lose much of its kinetic energy, making any bullets hitting at that distance do much less damage, and the rounds would diverge pretty far from their intended target.

2) The same 9mm round has a very large drop off, and I found myself not even having to compensate for range!

Furthermore, the gun just doesn't feel like a gun. The PPSH for some reason has this outrageous recoil (especially from the hip ... for some reason that gun has 2 different kinds of recoil), while the MP40 feels like an airsoft gun that does full damage. Granted, the PPSH did fire a slightly more powerful round, and has a higher firing rate, but if you watch footage of soldiers in WWII and modern trained gun users, you can see that the recoil is really very manageable -- much more so than is represented in game.

I have a suspicion that the reason there is such a huge difference between these weapons is because of a deep-down developer concern for balance. Anyone who has played RO1 knows what I'm talking about with the PPSH vs MP40 recoil issue from that game. It feels like there is still some residual "fear" of the PPSH in terms of how its been designed.

The thing is, the devs have always said they are for making weapons act like they really did in real life. In fact, supposedly the whole reason the PPSH has a stick mag instead of the standard issue (and much more common) drum magazine is to balance its rate of fire against the MP40, without actually changing the attributes of the gun itself. The funny thing is that because of the MP40's lack of recoil, its already a better gun than the PPSH in most circumstances, and this balancing measure makes the issue even worse. It's easier to hipshoot, way easier to get long distance shots (see above), all because it hardly has any recoil.

All I ask for is a small tweak to the MP40 so that it has perhaps lightly lower levels of recoil than the MP40 in RO1. That would at least go a long way towards solving the MP40 sniping issue and perhaps make it actually require SKILL to use.

Upvote 0
PPSH wins most duels with the MP40 in close combat areas (chambers, hallways) and this is a direct duel, this is where they are supposed to meet.

Also, the PPSH could be use as a suppression weapon for medium distances, you can't do that effectively with the mp40 - it's rate of fire and weak power are just too small.

In conclusion: the MP40 kills you by accuracy, the PPSH kills you by rate of fire (and bigger rounds :p)

Upvote 0