• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A better explaination of the zoom feature.

man I hate trying to explain this crap to people who refuse to understand, yes our vision in real life doesn't ZOOM but in real life we can see and focus on things a lot more than you can in a video game the zoom is basically mimicking the fact that we can focus on objects in foreground or background etc to see them clearly, and for the love of god just read the OP's post.. It's all explain there.
I don't think the focus make us "zoom" but make the objects we are aiming easier to see indeed. The zoom still need a kind of blurr effect on the side to simulate the focus.

Upvote 0
I can try and focus at the cars across the street and no matter how hard I try or what object I have in my face, I cannot see them any more clearly than I could without trying to focus intently. In RO2 you can hit a button and zoom in and your target is magically clearer easier to see. Human eyes don't work this way, regardless of what you're looking at.

Come on.. Have some effort there.

Do you really claim you can pick up all the details from the cars across WITHOUT focusing into the cars. By not focusing I mean glancing at the general direction. If you're looking AT the specific car and concentrating on its details you're already zooming in. And that yields a lot more details than looking at the general direction.

Upvote 0
Come on.. Have some effort there.

Do you really claim you can pick up all the details from the cars across WITHOUT focusing into the cars. By not focusing I mean glancing at the general direction. If you're looking AT the specific car and concentrating on its details you're already zooming in. And that yields a lot more details than looking at the general direction.
You're not zooming in, you're focusing. Human eyes doesn't zoom, only in video games to compensate that fact that the scales are f*cked up in video games.

Upvote 0
What I've come to realize by reading this thread is how ignorant so many people are not only as to how the human eye works, but also the physics of lenses in general aka optics.

Anyone who mentions that the magnification feature has anything to do with human eyes focusing is flat out wrong. The only one who seems to know what they're talking about is the OP and those he convinced. Even then you can tell from some of their responses and defenses of him prove that they really didn't understand the concept he was attempting to prove lol.

No matter how you choose to look at it, the way human vision is portrayed in the game is going to be inaccurate, for the reasons the OP stated. But the developers of the game have come up with an interesting way to restore how accurately we would actually view the scale of an object by giving us the shift-zoom. Instead of looking at the feature in game (the SHIFT zoom/magnification) as a temporary enhancement/cheat or whatever, look at it as if the rest of the time when you aren't using that feature you're actually "zoomed" out less than you should have been all along and by using shift, you're actually putting things in the natural perspective you should have had all along (in terms of judging scale). Now of course by doing this, you're even destroying more of your peripheral vision and making the original problem of not being able to fit a human's entire field of vision within the screen, but when you're aiming down the sights, the developers know that your peripheral vision matters even less at that point because you're eyes are focusing on shooting something, so it's okay.

In other words, what most people are doing is viewing the default view when you run around as the way things really are so when they see objects magnified using shift, they think it's a cheat. They don't realize that the default view is actually hindering you from seeing things at a scale you should be viewing things at all along (they're all much smaller than they should be), so the shift feature is simply fixing how you should be viewing things all along (correcting the scale of objects seen). Basically, everything in a scene was SHRUNK down to fit on your monitor, the "zoom" feature corrects that by temporarily UNSHRINKING the image when it matters most and when peripheral vision matters least, when you're aiming down the sights to fire.

Anyway, great job LHeureux and thank you for coming up with an excellent visual way of depicting what the SHIFT feature is really all about.

Upvote 0
What I've come to realize by reading this thread is how ignorant so many people are not only as to how the human eye works, but also the physics of lenses in general aka optics.

Anyone who mentions that the magnification feature has anything to do with human eyes focusing is flat out wrong. The only one who seems to know what they're talking about is the OP and those he convinced. Even then you can tell from some of their responses and defenses of him prove that they really didn't understand the concept he was attempting to prove lol.

No matter how you choose to look at it, the way human vision is portrayed in the game is going to be inaccurate, for the reasons the OP stated. But the developers of the game have come up with an interesting way to restore how accurately we would actually view the scale of an object by giving us the shift-zoom. Instead of looking at the feature in game (the SHIFT zoom/magnification) as a temporary enhancement/cheat or whatever, look at it as if the rest of the time when you aren't using that feature you're actually "zoomed" out less than you should have been all along and by using shift, you're actually putting things in the natural perspective you should have had all along (in terms of judging scale). Now of course by doing this, you're even destroying more of your peripheral vision and making the original problem of not being able to fit a human's entire field of vision within the screen, but when you're aiming down the sights, the developers know that your peripheral vision matters even less at that point because you're eyes are focusing on shooting something, so it's okay.

In other words, what most people are doing is viewing the default view when you run around as the way things really are so when they see objects magnified using shift, they think it's a cheat. They don't realize that the default view is actually hindering you from seeing things at a scale you should be viewing things at all along (they're all much smaller than they should be), so the shift feature is simply fixing how you should be viewing things all along (correcting the scale of objects seen). Basically, everything in a scene was SHRUNK down to fit on your monitor, the "zoom" feature corrects that by temporarily UNSHRINKING the image when it matters most and when peripheral vision matters least, when you're aiming down the sights to fire.

Anyway, great job LHeureux and thank you for coming up with an excellent visual way of depicting what the SHIFT feature is really all about.
Thanks! I see that you understand and indeed some people see this as a "cheat" or a cybernetic feature or something. But you helped to describe what I'm trying to do. The "zoom" should be renamed "Showing world and objects to their real scales" by the community, or "scaling" lol.

Upvote 0
People got used to RO1 unzoomed mode.

It is a compromise as you cannot have real engagement distances + unzoomed, the same way you cant have awareness of your surroundings zoomed-in.

So as TWI wanted to have more realistic engagement distances, they made a compromise of having a normal fps fov when moving around and zoom in when you want to focus somewhere. Even ARMA has zoom, and it is regarded as a mil-sim.

Some days ago one person asked: "And if they remove the zoom and just tell the ranges you see unzoomed are the real ones?"

If you do that, if you dont make changes to anything else you have some real problems:

- The soldiers will cover distances too fast, like double we're having now, you would run about 100m in 6 seconds... faster than the world record. The solution, slow down the walking/running speed.

- The soldiers and environment will be insanely big, a soldier would be 3,5 meters high, houses with about double the lenght/widht/height. The solution again: scale down everything.

Then you make these solutions and voila... you are back to where you were before.

Upvote 0
hard to argue with you that it may be technically more realistic....but at the cost of gameplay? cant something that is realistic be left out just because its better for gameplay?

Why is no zoom better for gameplay?

Oh right you die all the time. I get it. You suck at the game and are asking for it to be made easier.

Just be honest about it.

Upvote 0