• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A better explaination of the zoom feature.

@OP This explanation is perfectly accurate. No one can't disagree with it. People who don't like the "zoom" and say it is unrealistic are just wrong.

Tunnel vision is a medical condition, stop referring to it please.

DOF or Depth of field is realistic enough when aiming down the sights. This was shown nicely in Joseph Naders (sry if misspelled..) thread, which didn't explain "the zoom" at all, but the DOF effect.

Upvote 0
@OP This explanation is perfectly accurate. No one can't disagree with it. People who don't like the "zoom" and say it is unrealistic are just wrong.

Tunnel vision is a medical condition, stop referring to it please.

DOF or Depth of field is realistic enough when aiming down the sights. This was shown nicely in Joseph Naders (sry if misspelled..) thread, which didn't explain "the zoom" at all, but the DOF effect.
Yes Josef thread was more about the focus and DOF than "zoom".

Upvote 0
i can accept that you guys are probably right on the technicalities of human vision, and that the concept is a realistic one. but i still think its a concept that the game would be better off without.
I understand your point. Because like someone said on the other thread, most FPS stick to small maps because of this. For now most of the maps in RO2 are small, wait untill you play bigger maps like Commisar's House or commumity made ones like Berezina, then you will be happy about the "zoom". The zoom is quite usefull on Red October Factory for exemple.

Upvote 0
Yes but we're not talking about this here. I agree on the sway part, it needs more sway.

Actually it doesn't entirely, you can not walk and zoom in at the same time, which means that you can hear your soldier adjust his breath to slowdown his heartrate and get a steadier aim.

I've been told that apparantly it's not that hard to actually keep the sway to a minimum since the rifle butt, which rests against your shoulders makes sure that even when you've sprinted some distance you should still very easily be able to hit people sized targets on a distance of 100 meters.

Still the fact that you hear your character catch his breath in a second doesn't make sense to me. Which makes me think that zooming in like it does now should not necissarily get more sway, but only when you've run out of stamina.

Upvote 0
Actually it doesn't entirely, you can not walk and zoom in at the same time, which means that you can hear your soldier adjust his breath to slowdown his heartrate and get a steadier aim.

I've been told that apparantly it's not that hard to actually keep the sway to a minimum since the rifle butt, which rests against your shoulders makes sure that even when you've sprinted some distance you should still very easily be able to hit people sized targets on a distance of 100 meters.

Still the fact that you hear your character catch his breath in a second doesn't make sense to me. Which makes me think that zooming in like it does now should not necissarily get more sway, but only when you've run out of stamina.
I'm not talking about sway when zoomed or not, I just think that there should be, in overall, more sway. But you have good points. Like the guy catching his breath that fast after sprinting, hopefully it will be fixed sometime :)

Upvote 0
While the fov may be true, spotting targets is much harder in real life given the number of visual distractions, artifacts and light glare in any given amount of scenery.

In RO2 you just catch a blip of somebody and then crop it out without anything else on screen to detract from what you're looking at; which is unrealistic.

wait untill you play bigger maps like Commisar's House or commumity made ones like Berezina, then you will be happy about the "zoom". The zoom is quite usefull on Red October Factory for exemple.

In the same way a "tactical nuclear strike" would be "useful."

People seem to gain the perception that MP games are SP games. If you can easily spot targets at extreme distances, and targets at extreme distances can easily spot you, then it doesn't just become easier for you, it becomes easier for them.. and then rather than the game being about teamwork and objectives, it becomes a long range pissing match where you shoot at people 300 meters away with your naked eye.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
While the fov may be true, spotting targets is much harder in real life given the number of visual distractions, artifacts and light glare in any given amount of scenery.

In RO2 you just catch a blip of somebody and then crop it out without anything else on screen to detract from what you're looking at; which is unrealistic.
Yes, but try to reflect all those things in a video game, lag ensues :)

Upvote 0
I understand what they're doing with the zoom, and I agree with it. OTOH, I wish they would remove that feature from smg's. These are ASSAULT class weapons. People love 'em because they can use the zoom to take out (with a headshot) about any target a rifleman can and, if they miss, hey, just keep up the bursts.

While I realise that IRL MP40's had that capability to at least 100m, in the game, they can do this at 200m, which is really getting to the max of what a rifleman can hit in game. Maybe on the stretching it end that may have been realistic for these weapons, but it is not realistic to have such a large proportion of automatic weapons in relation to bolt action rifles.

At the time of Stalingrad, a Wehrmacht squad would have one automatic weapon to every 8 Kar98's -- and that's assuming they had a full complement of MP40's and MG34's, which was practically NEVER the case.
But, keeping the 8-1 ratio for this purpose, in a 32 player game, that would leave room for ONE MP40, and ONE lmg. There are so many auto and semi auto weapons in game that you can put them together and make an entire SQUAD out of them. Think about that.

Upvote 0
Yes, but try to reflect all those things in a video game, lag ensues :)

And....?

People who dont like the zoom dont like it because on the whole (in it's current state) it is unrealistic. The game lagging or not while _____ game function is in use does not change the fact that the zoom in it's current state is unrealistic.

The human eye does not "crop" images. If I crop something out of a large blurry image the cropped artifact is still going to be more visible even though it may still technically be the same size, simply because of the fact that it is now the subject of the frame, and no visual distractions lie around it.

Reactions: Poerisija
Upvote 0
And....?

People who dont like the zoom dont like it because on the whole (in it's current state) it is unrealistic. The game lagging or not while _____ game function is in use does not change the fact that the zoom in it's current state is unrealistic.

The human eye does not "crop" images. If I crop something out of a large blurry image the cropped artifact is still going to be more visible even though it may still technically be the same size, simply because of the fact that it is now the subject of the frame, and no visual distractions lie around it.
It's a dilemma.
On one side you chose : Realistic zoom wich bring normal scales but the unrealistic part where you don't see all the distractions and artifacts.

On the other side : No zoom but the fact that now you have more difficulty to spot things.

I chose the zoom one.

Upvote 0

In the same way a "tactical nuclear strike" would be "useful."

People seem to gain the perception that MP games are SP games. If you can easily spot targets at extreme distances, and targets at extreme distances can easily spot you, then it doesn't just become easier for you, it becomes easier for them.. and then rather than the game being about teamwork and objectives, it becomes a long range pissing match where you shoot at people 300 meters away with your naked eye.
Uhh, what? People 200m away in RO2 are as hard, if not harder, to spot than people 500m away in real life. You have issues seeing **** at 300m away or something, what? Might need some glasses then, or new ones if you have them already.

Upvote 0
I hope it helped some people to understand why the ZOOM feature IS realistic and is in-game.

A correct scale + field of view would be possible in videogames but you would need a bigass screen that would curve around you, something that the average gamer doesn't have unless he's rich and thought about that or something.

So you can't have the field of view + the correct scale in video games right now.
Absolutely wrong.
When your eyes focus on something on the distance, you lose focus on things not in your central 20 degree vision cone. But things do not become bigger and your FOV does not decrease. You still see everything around you, except that the focus is on something farther away. And Depth blur, which this game has, can simulate that perfectly. All they need to do, is to add a progressive blur to distant objects which is pierced through when aiming down the sights.
ACOG zoom is not the solution.

0801ba1.jpg

This is an example from Stalker, a game from 2007. It uses depth blur to make distant object unfocused and the same technology is used in RO2, however only for the blurring of foreground objects when aiming down the sights. If they would apply this on the distant objects too unless aiming down the sights, then the problem would be solved.

Reactions: Tweek and Kirq
Upvote 0
Absolutely wrong.
When your eyes focus on something on the distance, you lose focus on things not in your central 20 degree vision cone. But things do not become bigger and your FOV does not decrease. You still see everything around you, except that the focus is on something farther away. And Depth blur, which this game has, can simulate that perfectly. All they need to do, is to add a progressive blur to distant objects which is pierced through when aiming down the sights.
ACOG zoom is not the solution.

This is an example from Stalker, a game from 2007. It uses depth blur to make distant object unfocused and the same technology is used in RO2, however only for the blurring of foreground objects when aiming down the sights. If they would apply this on the distant objects too unless aiming down the sights, then the problem would be solved.
Ok...? You still can't have a 170

Upvote 0
man I hate trying to explain this crap to people who refuse to understand, yes our vision in real life doesn't ZOOM but in real life we can see and focus on things a lot more than you can in a video game the zoom is basically mimicking the fact that we can focus on objects in foreground or background etc to see them clearly, and for the love of god just read the OP's post.. It's all explain there.

Reactions: Tweek
Upvote 0