• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Flamethrowers and swords

I think this is a good idea, the Flamethrower may be hard to balance right though, you have to think about an operator's ability to just charge through an entire frontline and whether he will be too vulnerable to snipers and dug in machine guns.

On the exploding issue, I believe it is possible to explode a Flamethrower tank a la Saving Private Ryan, but it was much more likely that the tank just expelled it's contents harmlessly, except for throwing the operator forward a couple of meters.

It could be mades o that only tracers set the fueltank on fire.

Upvote 0
I think the swords could be the "instant knife" button of many current games, and work like a bayonet with a shorter range. Basically you'd be able to slash with it no matter what you're holding, giving you a bit of a stronger melee attack than punching with a pistol for example. Of course not everyone would get one.

Upvote 0
I don't see what the big deal is in balancing the katana. For one, it would be your only weapon other than your pistol, maybe a rifle since submachine guns were practically non-existant amongst Japanese infantry (I'm not an expert btw but...). You'd pull it out when you're charging, half the time you'd die and that's about it.

Upvote 0
It should be a separate weapon in your inventory, not a button you press and it magically swipes the screen in your right hand while you hold your rifle in the left.

I say, if you get within a few metres of someone with a Katana, the enemy should become instantly fully suppressed/low in morale and they should have great difficulty shooting you in time (no spinning around, firing Garands/Thompsons wildly in hip fire and getting you), just to make sure that anyone skilled and bad *** enough to make it into your foxhole with one of those bad boys, gets the kill he deserves.

Upvote 0
I say, if you get within a few metres of someone with a Katana, the enemy should become instantly fully suppressed/low in morale and they should have great difficulty shooting you in time (no spinning around, firing Garands/Thompsons wildly in hip fire and getting you), just to make sure that anyone skilled and bad *** enough to make it into your foxhole with one of those bad boys, gets the kill he deserves.

this I totally agree with.

Also, I think that flamethrowers would leak when shot, not explode. Still searching for something beyond conjecture, though.

Upvote 0
Don't forget that japanese use flamethrowers too!
They did indeed, but they didn't really use them against the Americans. They used the Type 100 Flamethrower to great effect in China and during their initial push through South East Asia, but by the time the US started pushing back, they didn't really see much use. The flamethrower's not really a defensive weapon and from 1943 onwards, the Japanese spent most of their time on the back foot.

I really can't commit one way or the other to whether the Japanese Type 100 will be in or not. I think it's safer for you to assume that it won't be and if it does make it in, then it can be a nice surprise. :)

I don't see what the big deal is in balancing the katana.
It's not a case of it being overpowered, it's a case of it being underpowered. Presumably you've all played the DDE beta of HoS by now and it's fairly obvious how infrequently melee combat occurs in comparison to RO1. A melee only weapon will be pretty useless 99% of the time and using one will be effectively asking to die. Granted, that's exactly how it was in reality, but it's not much fun in a game. I don't want to create a weapon that no-one ever uses because it's crap. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Presumably you've all played the DDE beta of HoS by now and it's fairly obvious how infrequently melee combat occurs in comparison to RO1. A melee only weapon will be pretty useless 99% of the time and using one will be effectively asking to die. Granted, that's exactly how it was in reality, but it's not much fun in a game. I don't want to create a weapon that no-one ever uses because it's crap. ;)
Actually, the bayonet is more deadly than it's ever been in RO now, and I see melee combat all the time :p
Red Orchestra 2 Kar98 bayonet gameplay - YouTube

Upvote 0
Since CoD WaW brought back the Greater East Asia War as some patriotic crusade against all-evil Japan I always wished for a game to come and let me take veangance dressed in Imperial Army cloths, holding an Arisaka99 rifle with attached bayonet and getting ready to banzai charge. The mp of CoD:WaW makes it possible yet but actually it's a lame copy of the sp's actions and Jesus the Samurai swords of the sp are not in it. If Rising Storm isn't including swords I'm angry :D

The only thing I really liked in WaW was stabbing people with a bayonet, the animation was fun and it wasn't that lame slashing a weapon across a texture that a lot of games have.

Upvote 0

Akin to instantly taking full suppression when a teammate is killed next to you after a period of relative calm in the HoS Beta. I like it.

Upvote 0