• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Kinda Hesitant Now...

Close urban combat is not what I prefer, personally, but they've captured the Stalingrad environment almost perfectly, from everything I've read and movies I've seen about the battle. It's crazy to be in the square in Fallen Fighters or to be defending the grain elevator and to know that, at least in terms of the setting, that's EXACTY what the soldiers were going through.

More mixed/vehicle "small villages" battles would be the exception, not the rule, and those would mostly be in the battles that raged in the suburbs as the 6th army was moving into the area. I hope and expect there will be a few maps like that, but it makes sense that most of them would be close urban combat.

Which, for my preference, is why I wouldn't have based the game on Stalingrad, but I completely understand why they did. It is the most significant battle not only of the war, but of the last 100 years or so, it is rich in drama and provides an unmatched setting for some brutal combat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
+1 funkyb awsome well written post and i completely agree. :p

well we have here is the OP was epecting almighty conquer and got jesus. or in more simplel terms he expected the perfect game in his mind adn got a really good game. :D and also considering this is beta yes its faster pace than ro1 but ro1 was always faster pace than arma you must be thinking of darkest hour mod. speaking of which there making there own game maybe you'll like that one better. :) or play the arma 2 Normandy mod its out its not complete but its out and its fun from what i hear. ;)

also someone here said that this game was fast like cod id like to say that is a bunch of bull****. have you ever played cod? if you have you must be suffering from brain damage or something. :rolleyes: compared to cod this game is like walking thru 3 ft of mud. (maybe 4 ft. :p)

Upvote 0
RO:Ost didn't start out as we know it now.

By the same vein, RO:HoS won't either.

The game, as it stands, pretty well caters to the generic FPS community, which is fine, a wise business move for people that want/need to make money.

The key will be the mods. The realism community is always the one that sticks around, the others just move on when the newest version of modern warfare comes out.

The basics of the game are very nice, the models, the textures, the movement, the weapons... the problem is just the leveling of weapons, the achievements, the silly MP44 and the way weapon add-ons are implemented, I am fairy sure, like, 99 percent sure, that within 1-2 months of release, there will be a dozen mods and mutators out that will address these issues so that the old-school RO players will still be able to enjoy the same experience they had in RO: Ost... just with cooler graphics and some added features... but they will still keep the FEEL of RO:OST... and not find themselves immersed in a 13-year-old wet dream, like MW2.

Upvote 0
It laso seems that the gameplay is more frenetic, with sprinting and snap reflexes taking the forefront over measured, careful strategy

You think the Russians ever used that in real life? Snap out of it and read Stalingrad and Berlin by Anthony Beevor. They just threw cannon fodder in superior numbers.

Like the raping mongol horde really used measured tactics and strategy. Thanks for this morning's laugh of the day.

Reactions: monster
Upvote 0
However, there are a couple maps, so far, that are on the slower and less frantic side. Red October and Fallen Fighters. On Fallen fighters, though the map isn't very big, it's setup whereas it feels like you're really fighting tooth and nail to advance, inch by inch. It has a good, proper, intense feel to it and requires good teamwork to conquer. On a mode where manpower matters, I can see that map being a lot of fun.

I cannot say anything about the Red october map (cannot play beta since last update), however seeing FF, I am really worried that RO2 has the mist from RO1. I really hated that and blamed it on the unreal 2.5 engine, however seeing how it's back in FF I mam a little bit questioning the use.
It's not even a very big map with distances of 200 meters. The average (not maximum) contact range was 300 meters. So seeing here how they make it impossible to see someone beyond 250 meters is a little bit odd.
I am hoping the mist is actually mist and is not present on the even longer range maps.

I do completely agree that FF is the prime example of a RO map. Once my team sucked really badly, however some smokes and a commander actually giving orders and coordination won us the map in the end.
Apartments is not a good example, in RO1 it was already a 'cod' map, with a lot of paths and corners.

RO2 may need some tweeks, also in the speed or aiming and such, but there are no big changes needed to differentiate it more. It's like the 'smg sniping' people are talking about. They forget that smg's are effective up to 100 meter irl instead of the 10 meters in RO1.

Upvote 0
You're pretty spot on. Pretty much every map aside from Grumshack facilitates COD gameplay where SMGs dominate. Everything is medium to close quarter fighting in a mass of buildings and rooms. There's also pretty much NO weapon sway whatsoever (very negligible if any) so you have your reflex laser shots from obscure pixels across the map.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomten
Upvote 0
You're pretty spot on. Pretty much every map aside from Grumshack facilitates COD gameplay where SMGs dominate. Everything is medium to close quarter fighting in a mass of buildings and rooms. There's also pretty much NO weapon sway whatsoever (very negligible if any) so you have your reflex laser shots from obscure pixels across the map.

You're an idiot, quit trying to scare people away, this isn't true at all. Bayonets take care of smg'ers perfectly. Also there is plenty of bullet drop past 200m

Upvote 0
You're pretty spot on. Pretty much every map aside from Grumshack facilitates COD gameplay where SMGs dominate.
Maybe if you're worthlessly horrible with the rifle, sure!

Me? I like to get on firefight games and use literally nothing but bolt-actions just to troll kids who think their SMG automatically crowns them lord god king of close quarters. An SMG is only as good as its user, much like the bolt-action rifles... and I tend to not miss.

Basovka and Stalingrad Kessel disagree.
Uh excuse me, but Pavlov's House, Kriegstadt, K

Upvote 0
i thought i'd put my $0.02 in here.

i know there's been alot of negative comments on the forums. There are a few bugs that need to be sorted out and the game doesn't feel quite polished enough for release. Nonetheless, RO2 is a fantastic game - a worthy successor (and my replacement) of RO1. I think there's alot of quality in this game that's easy to miss.

there's some gameplay issues that need to be sorted out but i think TWI is listening to our feedback. everyone here is right when they say that post-release the game will get even better. more features, balancing, and performance tweaks will be adding as time goes on.

Upvote 0
I think the game would be much better with greater engaement distances. At the moment everything feels to cramped, people just seem to appear left right and center. In RO1 you could identify the "front line" and it would eb and flow.

With the current maps I never know which way to turn.
This is the point I would make too.

My personal preferrence of all the maps yet (two), Fallen Fighters and Red October. The others to me are rat mazes. Sure, Stalingrad fighting degenerated into Ratten Krieg, but some of the game maps feel like us rats are just being poured out of some box (especially in the game's with high player counts).

I'm hoping the remaining maps offer more than CQB "gunnin' action".

Upvote 0
The reason for this is that the new maps stop my FPS dead, on whatever settings I use. And I have an i7 @ 3.6 and a 6970.

on some points, my fps drops down to <10 when I;m turning around at random times, or when arty falls, even though I am nowhere near it.

On whatever settings you use? That doesn't sound right at all.. perhaps try disabling/enabling hardware physics, or taking off One Thread Frame Lag. Your FPS should not be dipping that low unless something is wrong..

I run a Phenom II X4 945 (3.0ghz) and a 5850 and I get 25-32 frames outside (mostly hovers at 30 though), and 35-60 frames inside. I have some settings on Ultra, but I've sacrificed foilage, post-processing, and particles to save my core clock for other tasks.

There's no reason you can't eek out a consistent 30 frames with that setup..

Upvote 0
On whatever settings you use? That doesn't sound right at all.. perhaps try disabling/enabling hardware physics, or taking off One Thread Frame Lag. Your FPS should not be dipping that low unless something is wrong..

I run a Phenom II X4 945 (3.0ghz) and a 5850 and I get 25-32 frames outside (mostly hovers at 30 though), and 35-60 frames inside. I have some settings on Ultra, but I've sacrificed foilage, post-processing, and particles to save my core clock for other tasks.

There's no reason you can't eek out a consistent 30 frames with that setup..

I get high frames, Usually 60+. I find that alone to be weird, since 10 times better looking games give me more fps, but that's not what really bothers me.

The GPU usage is so inconsistent on this game. For alot of people. Having GPU usage change within the ranges of 40-80% 2-5 times a minute gives really, really stuttering gameplay.

Also certain things stop me sometimes dead. Like getting shot, or turning corners, or artillery falling someplace on the map.

Whatever settings, and with all the drivers I've tried.

Seeing the support forums I'm not alone in this, so I can only wait for it to get fixed.

I''m only telling OP what to (possibly) expect.

I doubt anyone can deny that the new maps take up a larger chunk of performance than maps like Apartments and FF.

With the kind of performance this game seems to have at the moment, any larger maps would make the game unplayable for alot of people. This is a shame, as I think the game would thrive on even large maps.

Upvote 0
Agree with OP. This is more a COD gameplay.

Its true that all game developers are jumping on the causal gamer train, little maps, fast gameplay, no tactics.

The whole BF series (1942 El Alamain, that was a true game :)), BF3 will only a BC2 clon...

I bought this game hoping of large maps and slow, tactical gameplay but this is only a console game.

Reactions: SiFi
Upvote 0
Agree with OP. This is more a COD gameplay.

Its true that all game developers are jumping on the causal gamer train, little maps, fast gameplay, no tactics.

The whole BF series (1942 El Alamain, that was a true game :)), BF3 will only a BC2 clon...

I bought this game hoping of large maps and slow, tactical gameplay but this is only a console game.

All the games are getting homogenized. All the fpses released in the last few years have tried to simulate cod. RO2 is no different.

I like RO2, nowhere near as much as RO1, but I like it, but I will not get RO3.

TWI has sold out in my mind. It's their franchise, They say they made the game like they wanted it. That may be true, but I'm pretty sure making the game this way to try to pull in some of the CoD crowd to get the money was a bigger motivation. They are entitled to do with the game as they please. But they've just released a Semi-CoD clone, and destroyed almost everything that was fun about RO1.

Just like EA with BC2, BF3 and Medal of Honor, Activision with CoD WaW, MW2, BO and MW3, and numerous other games, TWI has jumped on the bandwagon with RO2.

Last edited:
Reactions: SiFi
Upvote 0
So far RO2 seems to be just as fast paced when in close combat as was RO1. Haven't yet really experienced any long range combat. It might take some time to feel comfortable enough in these new maps to pick a rifle and actually get something done with it.

I think Red October map could have really good potential to be something much more than it is now. It could really appeal to these "slower pace" fans, if the objectives/capzones were revamped.

Funny how people seem to like grain elevator alot, so far for me personally it feels like the most boring map so far :p But looking back to RO1 I know that "favorite map" is a variable. Maybe I find "the thing" in it someday.

Upvote 0
Just like EA with BC2, BF3 and Medal of Honor, Activision with CoD WaW, MW2, BO and MW3, and numerous other games, TWI has jumped on the bandwagon with RO2.
There's actually a few maps within a number of the games listed here, that have some good combined 'long-range' + 'maneuver' maps. I'll not name the games nor the maps, because I don't want to get jumped by the rabid fans.

I'm still hopeful that the remaining RO2 maps to be previewed have something to offer along the lines of what I'm looking for.

Upvote 0