• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Listen servers w/ bots at launch?

WaffenWulfy

Sep 2, 2011
I know this close to launch, worrying about getting the game ready for release is at the top of the devs' minds, so I hope this won't go buried under much more important concerns, but this is something really important to me.

Will there be listen server capability at launch, like in RO1 and KF? I assume it's just not in the beta for testing reasons. And will they support bots, too? Sometimes my friends or I just feel like killing bots instead of playing actual multiplayer, and it's really important to us that this is capability is available at launch and not in a promised patch down the line.

I could live without the co-op campaign at launch, but listen servers with bots is pretty important to me. I don't really want to deal with getting a dedicated set up and running just to play a 30 minute game with friends here and there, so listen servers are really good for this.

And one question about bots, they look pretty impressive as is, but will they be more configurable than in RO1? There was a humans vs. bots option, but it only seemed to work for Russians. That's the only real thing I want to know about bots, I'm more concerned about the listen servers.

This is also a major feature that I will be using, due to only having very rare opportunities to use Steam in online mode. Same goes for my friends who I will be gaming with - LAN ftw (if only by necessity).

It would give me a lot of peace to hear that this is a confirmed feature for the launch.

Upvote 0
The bot functionality in RO2 has been terribly screwed up. You don't even have a fraction of RO:OST's settings for bots on dedicated servers.. let alone a listen server... It's shameful really

That's unfortunate to hear, as I also was looking forward to playing with just bots at times. Seems most games now are either doing away with bot matches or using just a bare minimum sadly.

Upvote 0
The bot functionality in RO2 has been terribly screwed up. You don't even have a fraction of RO:OST's settings for bots on dedicated servers.. let alone a listen server... It's shameful really

Is this for real? I mean, in what way are you able to actually configure them? Are you only able to just set how many bots there are, and that's it? Some words from the devs would be nice about if they plan on improving those options by launch. I'm really skeptical about them adding that so late in development if what you're saying is true though.

Upvote 0
Bots in RO where terrible.....I mean have any of you played RO to see what they where like?

I doubt it otherwise I imagine if thats the main way you wnated to play you wouldn't have bought RO2.

Ask yourself why the SP campaign hasn't been released for testing....think about RO bots...and you have your answer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bots in RO where terrible.....I mean have any of you played RO to see what they where like?

I doubt it otherwise I imagine if thats the main way you wnated to play you wouldn't have bought RO2.

Ask yourself why the SP campaign hasn't been released for testing....think about RO bots...and you have your answer.

RO1 bots were terrible but whta I'm trying to say is that incorporating bots into a server was much much easier. You could assign bots as a "team balancing" mechanism as well as a "minimum players" mechanism and a way to give players something to do until the server filled up. The bot mechanism in RO2 is totally and utterly broken and rubbish. Dedicated servers have basically no way of controlling bots. You can't even set a difficulty.

Upvote 0

I've actually played RO quite a bit in singleplayer (mostly due to having no other option mind you), and I have enough trust in Tripwire to improve the experience. Also, the AI in the videos that have been released are by no means perfect, but they certainly seem to be a vast improvement on the RO bots. The improved command system should also greatly aid the gameplay with AI.

I imagine the reason why the singleplayer has not been released for testing is because all the campaign levels are taken from the multiplayer, so a lot of bugs found through the multiplayer beta will affect the singleplayer experience.

These things seem sensible to me at least. It would be a dreadful disappointment if the game launched without bots, seeing as a singleplayer campaign with AI is still confirmed at this point.

Upvote 0
RO1 bots were terrible but whta I'm trying to say is that incorporating bots into a server was much much easier. You could assign bots as a "team balancing" mechanism as well as a "minimum players" mechanism and a way to give players something to do until the server filled up. The bot mechanism in RO2 is totally and utterly broken and rubbish. Dedicated servers have basically no way of controlling bots. You can't even set a difficulty.

I really hope that changes. I don't want to be "that" guy, but having bots to play against is a pretty major part of what my friends and I enjoy doing together. Without that, I dunno if I'll buy it for the two or three other people I planned on doing that with.

Upvote 0
Man those bots were awful.. Lol. I remember the surreal scene of seeing 4 or 5 of them in a crouched, fully-aimed position creeping around spawn, aiming at nothing in particular. I got so mad once I just started shooting them. ;)

Some of that blame should go to the map, as custom maps didn't usually bother with bot pathing. So they don't know where to go.

Upvote 0
No bots? what nonsense. Of course their are bots,and they are 100% better than in RO, and configurable as well.

ScreenShot00037.jpg

ScreenShot00033-2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0